Case Hardened Finish on Props

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm currently doing a project with pot metal (maybe zinc?) and aluminum. It's actually a Sidkit Mal Pistol. When I was thinking about how I wanted the finish I thought that case hardened finish you see on old western gun would look really good. Unfortunately I'm not working with steel. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

That's a good question..... To achieve a desired look like aged brass....I'm sure someone here must have the knowledge to make it happen , I hope

How patient are you with an airbrush? :p

Seriously though, I haven't the slightest idea. Although I did come across this, but it was done on billet aluminum. You may be able to achieve a similar finish on zinc, but it's going to be strictly trial and error I would think.

http://www.airgunrendezvous.com/rendezvous/read.php?2,13970

Thanks for the link. I've read people using motor oil and a torch to produce similar effects but I'm afraid I'll melt the soft metal. I've never used an airbrush but heck I've learned a bunch of new skills over the years on TheRpf

Maybe work real metal powder into a painted surface and use various patination liquids. Then clearcoat and buff that surface up.
But one might want to be extra careful with zink potmetal as it is sensitive to acids and may develop pitting.

Paint splotty patterns, like a multi-layered Jackson Pollock painting and then sand that smooth?

There might be some kind of paint that gives a "rainbow effect" or similar. I remember some of the very first home shopping programs I saw on television when I was a kid when my family first had got cable, there was a product called "magic dip" that produced a somewhat similar effect. But these might be pastel colours that would not resemble the natural effect.

Last edited:
Maybe work real metal powder into a painted surface and use various patination liquids. Then clearcoat and buff that surface up.
But one might want to be extra careful with zink potmetal as it is sensitive to acids and may develop pitting.

Paint splotty patterns, like a multi-layered Jackson Pollock painting and then sand that smooth?

There might be some kind of paint that gives a "rainbow effect" or similar. I remember some of the very first home shopping programs I saw on television when I was a kid when my family first had got cable, there was a product called "magic dip" that produced a somewhat similar effect. But these might be pastel colours that would not resemble the natural effect.

These are some really good ideas. I'll see if I can get some scrap and try out a few of these.

Thanks for everyone's input!

If it was steel or copper, it would be fairly easy! I've used this stuff on copper foil, and it worked quite nice, though I have no idea how it would work out on zinc:

https://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=71&category=6

Their solvent dyes are amazing on metal, and they might work, though it's pretty much painting at that point. I have heard that the Universal Patina line works on zinc, though I have never tried it. Good luck!

James

There are a couple of different ways to achieve this look, the easiest way would be to gold leaf it with variegated gold leaf, real gold leaf maybe pricey but michael's has a cheap version. The way I would do it is thus; give it a base coat of steel, or silver (I think chrome would be to shiny but it may be fine) get your browns, copper and metallic blue testor's paint and make a thin wash by adding thinner. Then with a brush fairly well loaded touch (don't brush) the surface and the paint will spread out with the darker color on the edges. Start with the brown, then the copper and then the blue. Letting each color dry before applying the next color. My first gen iPad won't let me post pics but trust me this works and is fairly easy. Then clear coat. Just my 2 cents

If it was steel or copper, it would be fairly easy! I've used this stuff on copper foil, and it worked quite nice, though I have no idea how it would work out on zinc:

https://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=71&category=6

Their solvent dyes are amazing on metal, and they might work, though it's pretty much painting at that point. I have heard that the Universal Patina line works on zinc, though I have never tried it. Good luck!

James

Well for $20 it might be worth giving it a shot. I've used a patina on zinc before and it worked so maybe it will work. Thanks for your reply.

There are a couple of different ways to achieve this look, the easiest way would be to gold leaf it with variegated gold leaf, real gold leaf maybe pricey but michael's has a cheap version. The way I would do it is thus; give it a base coat of steel, or silver (I think chrome would be to shiny but it may be fine) get your browns, copper and metallic blue testor's paint and make a thin wash by adding thinner. Then with a brush fairly well loaded touch (don't brush) the surface and the paint will spread out with the darker color on the edges. Start with the brown, then the copper and then the blue. Letting each color dry before applying the next color. My first gen iPad won't let me post pics but trust me this works and is fairly easy. Then clear coat. Just my 2 cents

ive never used gold leaf. This sounds really interesting and I'll have to find a tutorial on this. Thanks for the post!

It's easy, brush on a speacial varnish, let it set a bit the varnish has to start to dry, pick up the gold leaf with the brush designed for the purpose (I forgot the name) apply the leaf patting it down carefully with cotton balls, and let it dry. If it will be something handled you will need to coat it, we used to use a solution called frog juice, but a clear fixative should work

It's easy, brush on a speacial varnish, let it set a bit the varnish has to start to dry, pick up the gold leaf with the brush designed for the purpose (I forgot the name) apply the leaf patting it down carefully with cotton balls, and let it dry. If it will be something handled you will need to coat it, we used to use a solution called frog juice, but a clear fixative should work

Would you suggest the flakes or the sheets of leaf. I see that they come in a variety of colors too

A method I've seen used for that "hot metal" look works great, but is rather complicated. The method uses interference paints. This is the type of paint you see on fancy cars where the color shifts as you move around the car. Here are some hobby sized pigments.
Paints.JPG
To apply, you mix the different interference color powders in clear paint and apply different colors with an airbrush in layers, alternating with a layer of diluted black paint as well.
It takes a while to apply all the layers to build the look, but it looks great when done well.

Never knew these style paints were even available , especially for airbrushing applications , thanks for sharing this helpful info sir

A method I've seen used for that "hot metal" look works great, but is rather complicated. The method uses interference paints. This is the type of paint you see on fancy cars where the color shifts as you move around the car. Here are some hobby sized pigments.

To apply, you mix the different interference color powders in clear paint and apply different colors with an airbrush in layers, alternating with a layer of diluted black paint as well.
It takes a while to apply all the layers to build the look, but it looks great when done well.

Very interesting. Do you have a pictures of your work?

I've never airbrushed before. Would you say there is a big learning curve?

Not at all, especially for the effect you're trying to replicate. It's basically color patch blending, sounds technical, but it's not.

You basically have to see the base, the layers and start from there. It is more than possible to render metal like finishes using paint and an airbrush

If you've never used an airbrush before, yes there is a learning curve, but you're not trying to render photo realistic air brush work, so the learning curve for this type of work is not steep.

Plus, once you know how to use an airbrush, the application of that (even basic) knowledge is limitless.

As always YouTube is your friend;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back