Cardboard box Batman build, DS inspired *PIC HEAVY

Pipboy

So ive been reading up on these forums for a little while now and i decided to start a build for a black and white themed party im going to in a month. Not having the patience at the moment to start a Pep build i took it upon my self to start a build out of some cardboard boxes we have left over from moving home, im building every thing out of cardboard including the cowl.

below is my start

bat002.jpg

i used the desert storm suit as my inspiration and built off ideas i gathered from it.

bat001.jpg

then i started on the chest

bat004.jpg

the gauntlet

bat005.jpg

and most dificult of all is the cowl.... . i started by cutting out various shapes and fitting them to my head so it would fit so i got this

bat006.jpg

below is what happened next with the face. as i figured if the head doesnt look like batman then the body wont look like batman...

bat007.jpg

bat008.jpg

bat009.jpg

bat012.jpg

bat010.jpg

bat011.jpg

this has all lead me here..

bat013.jpg

im now working on smoothing it out as cardboard is very rigid and messy looking. sofar everything is looking good and i have been working on it for about 3 days now "might not look like it"... anyway. let me know what you all think and if you have any ideas for improvement let me know. cheers :cool

p.s if you have any ideas on how to make a chin strap with elastic that would be awesome.

keep it up bro...cowl is looking good so far! whats that white stuff you lathered over the cardboard?plaster?bondo?

Lol yeah I'm using a type of paintable gap filler. Basically it goes rock hard but still allows a bit of bend and flexibility , Just using it to smooth it all out then I'll fix the chin with some type of elastic which should hold it on nice. I'll see how it's dried when I get home today and I might get more of a move with the other parts. did a bit more on the chest and arms but still have a long way untill it's all finished

seems to be working out pretty great. you should post this over at BOTB as well. lots of Bat bros will appreciate your take on the build.

I was kind of hoping the thread was about from Gotham City Imposters when I looked in but, excuse the pun, props to you anyway Pipboy.
The filler is a good idea, I hadn't considered using it for that purpose before...

That is sweet.. I love the use of cardboard. I haven't read much about people making cowls out it. Its very unique.

The price of the building drops quite a bit too I'm sure. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna lie when i saw the first couple of pics i honestly though it looked crap then i scrolled down some more and saw the last pic, im amazed at how you turned cardboard and some filler into a really good looking cowl.

i can't wait to see more progress on this :D

Hey guys thanks for the comments, Yeah I know a cardboard box isnt your normal medium for making a cowl but due to a lack of funds, Im trying to get by with what I have. It's definately not your Standard looking cowl but as long as when I'm finished people recognize me as batman and not a lightbulb I'll be happy...

I just managed to use a bit more filler on the cowl and I'll start smoothing it out soon. I'll upload some more pics soon when I get near a computer. Cheers

So i did a little bit of work over the weekend. and i only managed to get a couple photos unfortunately, i have done some work with the chest gauntlets and shoulders.. but most work has gone into the cowl.... below is my current progress unfortunately did not get as much done as i hoped, and also ran out of filler :( will be grabbing some more today to touchup a bit more. please be nice :)

bat004-1.jpg

bat003-1.jpg

bat005-1.jpg

there you have it!. will be doing a bit more work, sanding and painting and gluing.. will post more when get some decent photos lol

So i spent some time last night bought some more filler and some spray paint,,, have painted my cowl with under coat of white then with black and turned out quite nice, dispite some cracking on one side (most likely my spraying technique,) the paint is for some reason almost powdery and can be rubbed or scrapped off (on second thought might not be sticking to my filler).. any advise on how to avoid this would be awesome :) but im thinking maybe sealing it with something like hairspray as its easily accessible by me and im cheap haha. also i worked on my arms but again . any advise on improvement would be awesome. cheers

bat006-1.jpg

bat007-1.jpg

the cracking and and powderyness (word of the day)

bat009-1.jpg

cowl currently

bat008-1.jpg

my arms at the moment

bat010-1.jpg

bat011-1.jpg

Maybe you could try covering the cowl in some sort of lycra material? That might help get rid of some of the roughness on the cowl. The arms looks like they could work well. Make sure to keep posting pictures!

Wow , I remember a thread named ( the duct knight) i believe it was over on the brotherhood ..and it killed me i friggen loved it , a bat suit made of cardboard and duct tape ... great concept

Lol thanks for the advise btw omel that thread you started was most of my inspiration to try my hand at a budget build. Good work :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back