Cardboard box Batman build, DS inspired *PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Pipboy, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

So ive been reading up on these forums for a little while now and i decided to start a build for a black and white themed party im going to in a month. Not having the patience at the moment to start a Pep build i took it upon my self to start a build out of some cardboard boxes we have left over from moving home, im building every thing out of cardboard including the cowl.

below is my start

[​IMG]

i used the desert storm suit as my inspiration and built off ideas i gathered from it.

[​IMG]

then i started on the chest

[​IMG]

the gauntlet

[​IMG]

and most dificult of all is the cowl.... . i started by cutting out various shapes and fitting them to my head so it would fit so i got this

[​IMG]

below is what happened next with the face. as i figured if the head doesnt look like batman then the body wont look like batman...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this has all lead me here..

[​IMG]

im now working on smoothing it out as cardboard is very rigid and messy looking. sofar everything is looking good and i have been working on it for about 3 days now "might not look like it"... anyway. let me know what you all think and if you have any ideas for improvement let me know. cheers :cool

p.s if you have any ideas on how to make a chin strap with elastic that would be awesome.

2. BobbyS95

BobbyS95 Well-Known Member

Wow! Never thought that was possible with cardboard

3. omel

omel Well-Known Member

keep it up bro...cowl is looking good so far! whats that white stuff you lathered over the cardboard?plaster?bondo?

4. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

Lol yeah I'm using a type of paintable gap filler. Basically it goes rock hard but still allows a bit of bend and flexibility , Just using it to smooth it all out then I'll fix the chin with some type of elastic which should hold it on nice. I'll see how it's dried when I get home today and I might get more of a move with the other parts. did a bit more on the chest and arms but still have a long way untill it's all finished

5. omel

omel Well-Known Member

seems to be working out pretty great. you should post this over at BOTB as well. lots of Bat bros will appreciate your take on the build.

6. Dirty

Dirty Member

Ok I now have seen it all and will be watching this progress

7. mmccreadie

mmccreadie Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was kind of hoping the thread was about from Gotham City Imposters when I looked in but, excuse the pun, props to you anyway Pipboy.
    The filler is a good idea, I hadn't considered using it for that purpose before...

8. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

That is sweet.. I love the use of cardboard. I haven't read much about people making cowls out it. Its very unique.

The price of the building drops quite a bit too I'm sure. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

9. Web_Slinger

Web_Slinger Active Member

I'm not gonna lie when i saw the first couple of pics i honestly though it looked crap then i scrolled down some more and saw the last pic, im amazed at how you turned cardboard and some filler into a really good looking cowl.

i can't wait to see more progress on this :D

10. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

Hey guys thanks for the comments, Yeah I know a cardboard box isnt your normal medium for making a cowl but due to a lack of funds, Im trying to get by with what I have. It's definately not your Standard looking cowl but as long as when I'm finished people recognize me as batman and not a lightbulb I'll be happy...

I just managed to use a bit more filler on the cowl and I'll start smoothing it out soon. I'll upload some more pics soon when I get near a computer. Cheers

11. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

So i did a little bit of work over the weekend. and i only managed to get a couple photos unfortunately, i have done some work with the chest gauntlets and shoulders.. but most work has gone into the cowl.... below is my current progress unfortunately did not get as much done as i hoped, and also ran out of filler :( will be grabbing some more today to touchup a bit more. please be nice :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there you have it!. will be doing a bit more work, sanding and painting and gluing.. will post more when get some decent photos lol

12. baden3

baden3 Active Member

i like how its forming keep it up very cool! :D

13. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

So i spent some time last night bought some more filler and some spray paint,,, have painted my cowl with under coat of white then with black and turned out quite nice, dispite some cracking on one side (most likely my spraying technique,) the paint is for some reason almost powdery and can be rubbed or scrapped off (on second thought might not be sticking to my filler).. any advise on how to avoid this would be awesome :) but im thinking maybe sealing it with something like hairspray as its easily accessible by me and im cheap haha. also i worked on my arms but again . any advise on improvement would be awesome. cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cracking and and powderyness (word of the day)

[​IMG]

cowl currently

[​IMG]

my arms at the moment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

Maybe you could try covering the cowl in some sort of lycra material? That might help get rid of some of the roughness on the cowl. The arms looks like they could work well. Make sure to keep posting pictures!

15. eatelephants

eatelephants New Member

Gonna be following this thread

16. poopymcbutthole

poopymcbutthole Sr Member

Wow , I remember a thread named ( the duct knight) i believe it was over on the brotherhood ..and it killed me i friggen loved it , a bat suit made of cardboard and duct tape ... great concept

17. omel

omel Well-Known Member

18. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

Lol thanks for the advise btw omel that thread you started was most of my inspiration to try my hand at a budget build. Good work :)

19. poopymcbutthole

LOL were your ears ringing? And i loved that thread!

20. omel

omel Well-Known Member

Hahaha....maybe they were Error...maybe they were:lol, thanks much

21. poopymcbutthole

Oh crap i just had an idea , have you thought of that rubber in a can spray sealant for this project? it is super cheap and can be found in harmons cosmetics stores , michaels rag shop type places and even some hardware stores now ... it was an as seen on tv so the price is not horrible ... i was thinking of picking some up to fix the bottoms of my favorite sneakers and snow boots that i wear till the soles are gone! lol ... but yeah i think it would work pretty cool for this project

22. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

Good news ..... After leaving if set for a day the powder has gone and it's set in

Have started painting the arms which look pretty cool. Need to work on chest, legs and groin/ belt next will keep ya posted cheers

23. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

So i did some painting on my arms, here is a demo of how it looks. i will be adding a bat logo to my shoulders just to be a little different, but heres it so far

[​IMG]

24. omel

omel Well-Known Member

bro, ensure to put something on the inside of your cardboard build so when you wear it, perspiration will not soak the cardboard ( i used duct tape on mine)

25. Dpeterson117

Looks sweet. Interested to see how the chest comes out!

26. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

thanks for the advise guys, has all come to a stop atm waiting on funds to get some elastic and spray paint, prob gonna cost me $50 to finish it, :( but i will soldier on.. once i get elastic and spray paint i should be able to make a solild push forward on this project.

27. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

Had some spare cash and managed to buy some more spray paint yesterday. have also built a belt and will be working on the legs now. should be buying some elastic today and material for a cape :)

below is what i have sofar. :)

test fit of parts before painting

[​IMG]

belt after painting

[​IMG]

chest after spray painting :)

[​IMG]

after second coat and shown with belt and helmet.

[​IMG]

please let me know what you think so far

Will post another update soon :cool

28. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Keep it going Bro, it's coming along real well...

29. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

well i have managed to find some fabric for a cape and bought a few metres of elastic. i have connected the shoulders/biceps, by elastic over my back so they hold on. with the whole upper body kit on it feels really sturdy, bellow is what it looks like with the upper body on... will start working on legs today. but yeah let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Dpeterson117

Looks good! Excellent work!

31. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

lol ok so i put everything together, have some more tweaking to do, but as you can see it looks so much better when its darker, which for me is a plus since im wearing it to a party, lol anyway thought id post it , i personly think it looks stupid, but i love it all the same ... cheers

[​IMG]

32. DamnGoodPaul

DamnGoodPaul Member

Nice Build. Very simple, and very creative!

33. chanfan

chanfan Well-Known Member

Let's hope it doesn't rain! :)
    No but really, it's cool, but I think the ears looks kinda funky!

34. roblightyeah

roblightyeah New Member

Man, YOU ARE A GENIUS! A decent Batman costume just from old cardboard!! I'm still reeling from shock at how cool an idea that is... just fantastic 10/10 - I'm totally gonna use that idea one day

Keep up the good work, and make sure you get photos wearing it at the party so we can see it in action

35. Pipboy

Pipboy New Member

yeah the ears were hard for me to do, lol and its indoors so it should be sweet lol

36. Farazmobin47

Farazmobin47 New Member

nice try man

37. Dpeterson117

I think you did a fantastic job! Great use of cardboard, very inspirational.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2