Carbonite block: pics of the top and bottom?

Sooooo, is it decided then? The sides of the HIC are 90 degrees square to the face?

Haven't made my box yet, was gonna do it angled per the blueprints, but square would be 10x easier.

Thoughts?

Thought I'd repost this over here in this thread, too...

Another discrepancy with the carbonite blueprints:

The blueprints show the end pieces are trapezoids. This recently posted pic by Lonepigeon of the actual block at an exhibit in London seems to suggest that it's just a regular "block", and the end panels would be rectangular instead of trapezoidal. :confused

Since the pic is cut off on the bottom, I extended the lines out until they met to re-create how the panels should meet.

carbangles.jpg

Ok, now I'm *really* confused. :confused If it IS just a block with "square" edges and rectangular end panels, then where did the carb blueprint get that the angles are 85.5 degrees??? :confused

Sooooo, is it decided then? The sides of the HIC are 90 degrees square to the face?

Haven't made my box yet, was gonna do it angled per the blueprints, but square would be 10x easier.

Thoughts?

The sides are at 90 degree angles. Both my calculations and people who have seen the actual prop on display in Europe agree. It's just a rectangle, not a trapezoid. :)

So I'm thinking about building a 2nd one of these, what are the best measurements and where do you guys suggest I get EL sheet for the control panel?

Gregg

So I'm thinking about building a 2nd one of these, what are the best measurements and where do you guys suggest I get EL sheet for the control panel?

Gregg

Just use the Carbonite block blueprints and mod the end panels to be rectangular instead of trapezoidal. That's what I'm doing. :)

EL sheet: www.glowhut.com

Their blue-green sheets are the same color as the panel screen as seen in the carbon freezing room pics. The sheets are about $25 each (you have to cut them to size) + an inverter to power them.

Thanks! I might have to upgrade mine too!

Can 1 sheet be cut up and the used on multiple pieces with separate inverters?

Gregg

Last edited:
Gregg,

for that light up section of the hero panel I worked out a dollar store holiday ornament that had a few clear x-mas style lights that randomly flashed at a slow pace. Once set beding the panel at an angle, with the light reflected by bright foil onto the rear surface of light gel covering a thin sheet of plastic for the panel.... It was very convincing and only cost about $5 to make.

This was back when I was working out the panel as cheaply as possible for RPF'ers for the run of my panels that never happened.

The other lights I was going to use the standard ten led flasher board kit. I figured out how to maniuplate the board to break its flash pattern and have a couple led's light up at the same time.

Is it just me or does the recessed hole seem to go deeper than it should and interferes with where the foot would be? Maybe that's why they never showed the bottom? Pretty close!

Great pic!

Actually, when I found this photo, it kinda makes sense. the holes look like the go up to the bottom of his shoes which explains that Han is not just arbitrarily floating inside the block but was standing on a small platform when he was frozen. The prop guys really put an amazing amount of thought into their work, love it!

Actually, when I found this photo, it kinda makes sense. the holes look like the go up to the bottom of his shoes which explains that Han is not just arbitrarily floating inside the block but was standing on a small platform when he was frozen. The prop guys really but an amazing amount of thought into their work, love it!

Good point! That makes sense. :)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back