CAPTAIN CARDBOARD X WING WOW

judgedredd

Sr Member
Just finished putting it together and its only when you have you see how big it is i am very impressed and glad i bought it :)
i had a few scary moments with the pipe support but managed to sort it out the wings are pinned so i can detach them for painting .
here have a look thanks wackychimp
books047.jpg

books046_edited-1.jpg

Originally posted by judgedredd@Dec 18 2005, 10:04 AM
Just finished putting it together and its only when you have you see how big it is i am very impressed and glad i bought it :)
i had a few scary moments with the pipe support but managed to sort it out the wings are pinned so i can detach them for painting .
here have a look thanks wackychimp
books047.jpg

books046_edited-1.jpg

[snapback]1138623[/snapback]​
Ya just can't get any better that CC's (Scott Alexander's) mastering of the X-Wing...
Your build up looks GREAT Dredd. Keep the updates comin.

Lookin' great. I'm going to be building one soon and have a large piece of MDF for the base. I like what you did with the support pole. Do you mind if I ask what size tubing (.75"?) you used and how you got it to stay in the base securely? Thanks for any help.

Hi thanks a long way to go :)
the pole support is 15mm plumbing pipe the hatch cover hole is too wide so ended up using a scrap .made a plasticard box on the inside of the fighter then poured resin into it to give a solid support as this is a heavy kit. the unfortunate and stupid part is i forgot to grease up the scrap piece of pipe :angry so guess what once the resin set i could not get the stinking thing out :cry :angry and ended up drilling it out then pouring more resin around a new piece of very greased pipe :)
The wing i had to sit down and work out how to make the pins line up and iam sure all you expert builders know this trick but a small dab of paint on one side then press the 2 parts together and hey presto you have your markers i think pins are a good move for the wings as the are pretty heavy plus you can see it all together without the glue :) well i will keep posting pics as i go along hope this is helpful for the none experts out there :)
Originally posted by bobbyfett@Dec 18 2005, 07:44 PM
Lookin' great.  I'm going to be building one soon and have a large piece of MDF for the base.  I like what you did with the support pole.  Do you mind if I ask what size tubing (.75"?) you used and how you got it to stay in the base securely?  Thanks for any help.
[snapback]1138659[/snapback]​

Cheers mate you dont get a choice with the new casting of the kit it only comes with the open option plus it is slightly different to what is shown on the video . also the laser rods come as more a single unit than on the orignal kit .

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 18 2005, 08:03 PM
Looks definitive to me. Love the W-I-D-E stance on those wings. :thumbsup

- k
[snapback]1138670[/snapback]​

the pole support is 15mm plumbing pipe the hatch cover hole is too wide so ended up using a scrap .made a plasticard box on the inside of the fighter then poured resin into it to give a solid support as this is a heavy kit. the unfortunate and stupid part is i forgot to grease up the scrap piece of pipe  so guess what once the resin set i could not get the stinking thing out  and ended up drilling it out then pouring more resin around a new piece of very greased pipe
Nice tricks. How did you get it to stay put in the wood base without tipping the base or pulling out of the hole drilled in the base? Is it glued into the hole or is there something supporting it underneath?

Always glad to see someone joining the club. She looks good so far, cannot wait to see how she looks when painted.

Thanks for the tip on pinning the wings I never knew the paint trick

JDH

Hi yes i just got it from starship modeller the casting is pretty good some clean up work but you always get it with resin.
the support pipe is just sat in a hole on the base and not glued or fixed in anyway yet i am awaiting one of the death star bases to finish it then i may build a tower to hide the pipe :)

Originally posted by phase pistol@Dec 18 2005, 11:29 PM
Oh, so this is the new "remastered" version of the CC X?

- k
[snapback]1138807[/snapback]​

Hey, that's a very clever mounting system. I'm also in the progress of building painting one (my second one) and I think these are fantastic kits. However, I know both CC and now Mark have corrected many flaws but I wish they would deal with the biggest flaw the kit suffers from, the body. The fuselage is both to long and way to thin, the original hero models had much bulkier looking fuselage. Who knows, maybe someone will take care of this on the future, then it would truly be the ultimate X-wing model of all time.

Good luck with your build.

Steve.

Originally posted by judgedredd@Dec 19 2005, 01:53 AM
Hi yes i just got it from starship modeller the casting is pretty good some clean up work but you always get it with resin.
the support pipe is just sat in a hole on the base and not glued or fixed in anyway yet i am awaiting one of the death star bases to finish it then i may build a tower to hide the pipe :)

[
[snapback]1139104[/snapback]​

Is someone doing a Death Star base? Thats how Id like to display mine.

yes i have ordered mine off you :) has it been shipped yet by the way ? i am rob cowley in UK

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@Dec 19 2005, 03:29 PM

If you are interested in pricing drop me a line.

Greg
[snapback]1139198[/snapback]​

Originally posted by STEVE THE SWEDE@Dec 19 2005, 10:34 AM
The fuselage is both to long and way to thin, the original hero models had much bulkier looking fuselage. Who knows, maybe someone will take care of this on the future, then it would truly be the ultimate X-wing model of all time.

Steve.
[snapback]1139141[/snapback]​

I agree -- great kit but too "spindly"

I should be getting my XWing kit soon. Judgedredd please keep your updates coming alongwith some pics, I need some inspiration and ideas. Looking great so far. :thumbsup

LOL :p I will check with Mike

Cheers

Greg

Originally posted by judgedredd+Dec 19 2005, 11:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(judgedredd @ Dec 19 2005, 11:07 AM)</div>
yes i have ordered mine off you :) has it been shipped yet by the way ? i am rob cowley in UK

<!--QuoteBegin-Jades Dark Heart
@Dec 19 2005, 03:29 PM

Greg
[snapback]1139308[/snapback]​
[/b]

cheers dude will set my x wing off nicely . i am just priming it up and leaving a couple of days to harden at the moment :(

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart+Dec 20 2005, 05:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ Dec 20 2005, 05:40 AM)</div>
LOL  :p  I will check with Mike

Cheers

Greg

Originally posted by judgedredd@Dec 19 2005, 11:07 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-Jades Dark Heart
@Dec 19 2005, 03:29 PM

Greg

[snapback]1139308[/snapback]​
[snapback]1139736[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by STEVE THE SWEDE@Dec 19 2005, 05:34 AM
Hey, that's a very clever mounting system. I'm also in the progress of building painting one (my second one) and I think these are fantastic kits. However, I know both CC and now Mark have corrected many flaws but I wish they would deal with the biggest flaw the kit suffers from, the body. The fuselage is both to long and way to thin, the original hero models had much bulkier looking fuselage. Who knows, maybe someone will take care of this on the future, then it would truly be the ultimate X-wing model of all time.

Steve.
[snapback]1139141[/snapback]​

I bet a guy can bulk up the fuseage by adding a flat encompassing spacer to the lower half. A general spacer to the upper half, fill in the sides with putty etc, rescribe, and it would be much closer to the filming model.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back