Captain American Civil War Build (Suit complete-ish! Pictures to come)

Re: Captain American Civil War Build (Sewing complete, molding/casting time)

It looks amazing!

Where do you get the little Avengers logo from? The ones that go on the shoulders?

:D

Re: Captain American Civil War Build (Sewing complete, molding/casting time)

It looks amazing!

Where do you get the little Avengers logo from? The ones that go on the shoulders?

:D

Do you mean the AoU ones or Civil War ones? The AoU ones I got from JJ Armory but he's been AWOL for a while now. And I'm not getting ones for the Civil War suit, but I do know that Rob and Kevin from RG Studios are making them!

Also, apologies to everyone for ghosting the past week! The flurry of last minute work got really intense and I ended up not remembering to take more progress photos along the way. Even worse, I only remembered to take one picture of the completed suit at NYCC this weekend! I'll be going to another con next weekend where I should be able to get a few more shots, and I'll also be re-making my gloves and casting the rubber stripes for the chest in that time as well. So, if anything that will be when I can show off a more properly completed version of the suit!

cap suit.jpg

Great build man, it made me want to try make one for myself and I'm having moderate sucess. Every part I've made twice and now I'm starting over with good materials. thanks for posting up pics of build process. It's great stuff

Incredible work, man. I'm terribly sorry if I missed it in the post somewhere but do you happen to have an estimation on how much you spent on materials? I'd love to take a crack at something like and mostly just feeling out prices for now.

Again, holy ****, incredible work

Re: Captain American Civil War Build (Gloves done, belt next)

The belt is done! And, actually pretty quickly to be honest. I ended up not having to do my weird new crafting schedule because the nice people at fabric.com managed to ship my stuff out right away and got it to me Friday! Which was just in time for having all the other pieces ready, like the fabric I used for the "webbing" sections which had to be dyed, cut and sewn. That being said, these pictures are posted in the order of how I would normally progress with this belt, but now necessarily how I actually did.

The base belt is the easiest part for me because it's largely just gluing, lots and lots of gluing. And by now I have a lot of experience with gluing pleather around craft foam to simulate leather. It's a pretty simple progression. I do the base panel first, giving about 1" allowance on each side so I have plenty of pleather to glue down. I also make sure to pull it as taut as I can without warping or folding the craft foam itself, you get a feel for it eventually. I also made the back band that holds it together, with a quickly sewn section of the burgundy cordra since it looks like theres either a dark red or brown fabric section on the back. I like the red just for the little extra color it adds.

I make the next layer of the belt the same way, but also add topstitching around the edges once it's done and then glue it to the base layer with barge. I do it this way because trying to sew through BOTH layers with my machine would be a nightmare and barge holds just as well, the stitching is just for aesthetics. I also add some velcro to attach the back panel to the main belt. And last addition is the fabric section that sits on top which is simple to sew aside from the cut out at one end. The bucket wasnt glued on yet and was just placed to space the section properly since they actually end AT the buckle instead of running underneath to reduce bulk.

View attachment 665608View attachment 665609View attachment 665610View attachment 665611

And now the REAL workhorse for this part of the project, the pouches. The pouches were a struggle for me last year and I ended up having to fudge it a bit. The end result were pouches that looked good, but weren't functional or super sturdy and this year I wanted them to be both. One thing that made this significantly easier is how well this pleather sews even after its been wrapped around craft foam and glued in place with barge. Seriously, if you ever need good-looking and easy to sew brown pleather, Swavelle/Milll Creek pleather from fabric.com is amazing. Okay shameless plug over. Anyway, the pouches are three main parts, a long panel which makes the body and two side strips. I made the main panels the same way the belt is made, pleather on craft foam, topstitching, custom "webbing" made from fabric. The side panels I patterned by using the AoU belt pattern from TheFoamCave that I bought last year and just adjusted the size for what I needed. I sewed one side of each side panel to the main bodies with my machine to get it started.

View attachment 665617View attachment 665618View attachment 665619

The rest of the stripes were sewn in by hand which took a while (1 hour total per pouch so about 5 hours of hand-sewing). I did it this way because looking at pictures of the belt, It looks like the sides of the panels are attached by just topstitching which would make sense on account of the hole leather thing. There was also a very specific way that the sides rounded out and divoted inwards that I wanted to repliace. I think sewing these in by hand, while time consuming, also achieved the look I was going for. It also resulted in something that was sturdy and functional (even though they're too small for things like my phone and wallet). But hey, I can stick candy and cash and business cards or something in there! The other thing that sewing them inwards like this solved was an issue I ran into with my AoU belt where the sides of the pouches poofed out a LOT. I ended up having to stuff them with craft foam to fill them enough to stretch the sides flat. No such tricks necessary hear.

PS, I called this the workhouse because it required handstitching and I am terrible and slow at handstitching.

View attachment 665620View attachment 665621View attachment 665622

And lastly, just some nice shots of the mostly completed belt with PannausProps' belt buckle attached! This was just affixed with an even coat of epoxy on the back and pressed into place for a few minutes.

View attachment 665625View attachment 665626

How did you attach the pouches to the belt?

How did you attach the pouches to the belt?

Pouches are just velcro'd right onto the belt! I used industrial strength velcro from home depot and cut the strips short enough to not be visible.

How is your harness attached? Under the armpits? Elastic, velcro?

The harness has snaps that connect it to the shoulder portion of the back plate. Those snaps hold it pretty sturdy in place and is all I needed to keep it steady and support the weight of my shield on my back!

Pouches are just velcro'd right onto the belt! I used industrial strength velcro from home depot and cut the strips short enough to not be visible.

The harness has snaps that connect it to the shoulder portion of the back plate. Those snaps hold it pretty sturdy in place and is all I needed to keep it steady and support the weight of my shield on my back!

I saw the snaps. I meant is the harness one piece that you slip your arms into or does each side of the straps connect to each other in some way. Like velcro under the armpits or elastic that will stretch out under the armpits after you put it on.

I saw the snaps. I meant is the harness one piece that you slip your arms into or does each side of the straps connect to each other in some way. Like velcro under the armpits or elastic that will stretch out under the armpits after you put it on.

Oh! Yeah it's all one piece that I shrug on like a backpack.

Are there anymore Photos of the completed suit @brutuswayne , would love to see more as its bloody awesome!!

As of right now, not really since I never actually got to shoot the suit at NYCC! But, I did wear it for a crossover cosplay thing at a recent con that I did shoot! So once those come in I'll have more shots

Just found this thread. Man that suit looks INCREDIBLE. Superb job and the fitment looks perfect. Impressed with your craftsmanship and attention to detail too.

Okay so I just read this entire thread in like two hours because I'm researching for my first ever Cap suit and holy **** dude.... you've done the absolute bEST job on this and I'm nothing but shell shocked from it. But along with this, you've managed to create such an awesome thread that I feel SO inspired to make this costume now. Thank you so much. You're an inspiration!!
Also: I tried to find your Instagram or a Facebook page and I can't find it! :(

Last edited:
Hey @brutuswayne,

I don't suppose you know anyone else other than RD Studios that sell the Avengers logos/shoulder pieces etc (see attached image) do you? I've contacted them through email and Facebook but had no response so I'm starting to give up with them, to be honest. Its a shame as the set they sell is exactly what I need :(

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 20.08.00.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 20.08.00.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back