Captain America WW2 (Bucky Rescue) M1 Helmet

TheMRussian

So my dad and I are US WW2 re-enactors and helmet restorers and we have been for a good few years. When we saw Captain America The First Avenger, we had to make a helmet to match the one seen in the "Bucky Rescue". Knowing the value of original WW2 helmets and how rare some of those are, we decided to make one out of something more disposable. We therefore decided we would use a post war Dutch helmet.

IMG_0046.JPGIMG_0047.JPG

On much studying of the film, we realised that it would likely be a WW2 Navy paint that was used. Then started the problem of matching a paint and trying to get it as matte as possible. We matched the colour to either Ocean Grey or Flat Deck Stain. We then decided that we would have to make a paint by mixing different ones which in the end matched quite well and gave the right kind of finish.
Getting the small things out of the way (Being English), I thought as if I were in America, in imperial measurements, to make a stencil for the "A".

Then came the arduous task of taking apart the liner and re-riveting all of the parts back in with the addition of "A" frames which were used in the film. It also involved adding inn poppers which may not be visible on the photos. These attach the liner to the straps attached to the actual helmet. This configuration being that of an M1-C helmet used by US parachutists during WW2.
IMG_0053.JPGIMG_0052.JPG

We then spray painted the helmet with the paint we made and gave it the cork texturing which is normal for WW2 helmets. Post war it was sand texturing.
Having let that dry, I stencilled on the "A" and sewed on the straps.

IMG_0051.JPGIMG_0050.JPGIMG_0049.JPG

This being my second one because the first I made was a dark royal blue colour which was not accurate. This is my first proper build and my first posted on TheRPF.

Now all I need is the blasted AN-6530 Aviators goggles which are so rare and expensive I don't want to think about it.

Attachments

• Captain America Bucky Rescue.jpg
    Captain America Bucky Rescue.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 2,467
Last edited:
That looks awesome!! Thanks for I.D.'ing the paint, I've got this on the "to-do" list and hadn't thought to use WWII colors, turned out Great!

We ended up having to mix the paint with some grey to give it a better finish because on the large surface it looked different. We are having some better paint made up which matches a sample sent to us by the original prop maker. Just to make it better.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back