Captain America: The First Avenger - "Ike" Jacket Source

thorr97

Hello all!

I'm seeking to recreate the scene in which Steve is introduced to the Vibranium disc shield by Howard Stark.

In that scene Steve is wearing a US Army officer's uniform that consists of standard issue US Army trousers, shoes, shirt, tie and what was known as an "Ike" jacket.

That jacket is a much more form fitting thing than the "Class A" tunic that most of us are familiar with. It's shorter - coming just below the belt line of the trousers - and it tapers down to the waist from the shoulders. As a costume choice goes, it's the perfect thing for a Super Soldier to wear and it is indeed visually distinctive from the standard Class A tunic.

So, that "Ike" jacket is essential to such cosplay. And I'm having a heckuva time finding such a piece of attire.

There's a number of "close but no it" offerings on Etsy which are of vintage jackets. Most of those are too worn or of the field version and not the "dress" version. Steve is very much wearing the dress version that is NOT intended for wearing out in the field. What Price Glory has some, as does Top Pots.

Does the assembled Cap's Crew here know of other resources?

Thanks!

Attachments

• cap_ike_02.jpg
    cap_ike_02.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,708
I'm afraid you're going to have to pay top dollar for a reproduction. I've been collecting US WWII uniforms for 20 years, and I've never seen one in the wild.

Not hard to find original or repro. Originals are usually in smaller (32s-34s) sizes. Price $40.00 to $150.00. Just hit your search engine up.

Not hard to find original or repro. Originals are usually in smaller (32s-34s) sizes. Price $40.00 to $150.00. Just hit your search engine up.

Thanks Chibobber, I wouldn't have thought to use Google before asking the question I did here.

Unfortunately what Google brought up were vintage "Ike" jackets that were both exceedingly expensive for what was clearly pretty well worn out apparel and were also too damn small. I'm a 48R suit size with a 40/42 waist so that filters out a whole lot of what Google brought up right there and then. Hence my search for the reenactors and militaria guys.

Or if there was any cosplay vendors who had offerings similar to what I needed. I've seen "Steve Rogers SSR Costumes" on eBay from China. Unfortunately, those are Class A Tunics, not Ikes, and they look every bit the $50 super bargain price.

My ideal would be some cosplay / militaria shop that did a big run of big size Ike jackets in anticipation that everyone would wanna buy one to look like Chris Evans in the movie. And that they made so many they still have some left in 48R but they just don't advertise 'em anymore as the movie isn't current. But that the cosplay guys in the Marvel Costumes and Props forum would know exactly who to put me on to.

Hence the question!

I'm afraid you're going to have to pay top dollar for a reproduction. I've been collecting US WWII uniforms for 20 years, and I've never seen one in the wild.
Have you any sources for those repros that you'd recommend?

I've found Top Pots has an Ike jacket but it doesn't look to have the same vibrancy as the one on screen in TFA.

I've also found What Price Glory has their Ike jackets but I don't think they'd fit.

So, I am quite open to suggestions!

Well, I found this:

There used to be an online shop that offered a whole range of really high quality reproductions, but I can't remember the name, and I'm having trouble finding it. They might not be in business anymore. I'll keep looking and post a link if I find it.

The one in the second link you posted is an enlisted man's jacket. That's not what you're looking for.
The one in the first link seems to be the correct material (gabardine), but the color looks off to me. Could just be their lighting conditions, but the officer's uniforms were a very dark green, not at all the same color as the enlisted uniforms.

Last edited:
Well, I found this:

There used to be an online shop that offered a whole range of really high quality reproductions, but I can't remember the name, and I'm having trouble finding it. They might not be in business anymore. I'll keep looking and post a link if I find it.
Wow! That looks pretty much spot on. And the color looks about right. That "chocolate" green really has a distinctive vibrancy to it. And the apparent lack of it was really putting me off on the imagery of the items I'd found. Yeah, some of that could be poor product photography.

It's also apparent that the costume piece is a custom piece. Yeah, I know, shocking. So it's not quite actually "standard issue." From what I've seen the standard issue Ike's featured a dart under the pockets to take that waist down. The one Chris is wearing has no such darts. It's a smooth seamless front under the pockets. Also, the lapels come down further to show off more of the tie.

I did even more digging on WPG's site and it seems they offer differing Ike's.

This one seems darker but has the pull tabs at the waist. Wouldn't that make it an enlisted's? That SOF Military one looks much better. No doubt, I'd have to have it tailored. And thus I could "lose" the waist buckle. And it'd probably make sense to get the trousers from there in order to keep the fabric color matching.

This is a good find Axlotl! Thanks for the help!

That WPG is much more reasonably priced than the SOF. You could take it to a seamstress and have the waist tabs removed and get it tailored to fit you.

The Ike jacket was approved for officer attire before there was an official pattern, so there were a lot of slightly different styles made by different manufacturers before a pattern was established. Officers would even have their dress tunics modified into Ikes by local seamstresses, so you'll sometimes see them with brass buttons down the front.
Even once there was an official pattern and they were being issued as regular uniforms, it wasn't uncommon for officers to get them tailored to fit.

That WPG is a darn good deal. I might have to save up some money and get one myself.

That WPG is much more reasonably priced than the SOF. You could take it to a seamstress and have the waist tabs removed and get it tailored to fit you.

The Ike jacket was approved for officer attire before there was an official pattern, so there were a lot of slightly different styles made by different manufacturers before a pattern was established. Officers would even have their dress tunics modified into Ikes by local seamstresses, so you'll sometimes see them with brass buttons down the front.
Even once there was an official pattern and they were being issued as regular uniforms, it wasn't uncommon for officers to get them tailored to fit.

That WPG is a darn good deal. I might have to save up some money and get one myself.

Hmm....

To me, the color of the SOF one looks better. The photos on the WPG site do their products no credit... I'm trying to get as close to the Ike that was on screen as possible.

And comparing the all-up costs between SOF and WPG it comes out as a wash even with shipping included! Argggh!

The WPG Ike is a lot cheaper than SOF's. The SOF "chocolate" trousers are about half of what WPG charges. The SOF officer's dress shirt is a third less than what WPG has theirs at. At least the tan neckties are about a wash in cost.

It's supposed to be simpler!!!!

:)

And then, of course, there's this:

AGSU Ike Jacket

It's from Marlow White which manufactures uniforms for the military and civilians to buy. The Army hasn't finished standardizing or approving the Ike just yet. And it looks like it won't be until 2023 that it does. No doubt, this would be the low price and proper size option once available.

But, as I'd like to be doing this cosplay sooner that "some time in 2023" that means it's looking elsewhere for me...

Hmm....

To me, the color of the SOF one looks better. The photos on the WPG site do their products no credit... I'm trying to get as close to the Ike that was on screen as possible.

And comparing the all-up costs between SOF and WPG it comes out as a wash even with shipping included! Argggh!

The WPG Ike is a lot cheaper than SOF's. The SOF "chocolate" trousers are about half of what WPG charges. The SOF officer's dress shirt is a third less than what WPG has theirs at. At least the tan neckties are about a wash in cost.

It's supposed to be simpler!!!!

:)
Sounds simple to me. I'd buy a full uniform from SOF. You're more likely to get matching colors, too (trousers and jacket), which isn't necessary, but does look a lot better.

And then, of course, there's this:

AGSU Ike Jacket

It's from Marlow White which manufactures uniforms for the military and civilians to buy. The Army hasn't finished standardizing or approving the Ike just yet. And it looks like it won't be until 2023 that it does. No doubt, this would be the low price and proper size option once available.

But, as I'd like to be doing this cosplay sooner that "some time in 2023" that means it's looking elsewhere for me...
Man, that jacket is spot on! I'll have to keep my eye on that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Sounds simple to me. I'd buy a full uniform from SOF. You're more likely to get matching colors, too (trousers and jacket), which isn't necessary, but does look a lot better.

Matching colors? Yeah, like I mentioned in my Rescue Cap thread: "at times there is little in the world less uniform in appearance than a uniform."

So yes, using a single source would be good insurance against that. And as the cost works out to about the same...

That new Ike jacket for the US Army does look snappy! And they'll be rendered in modern sizing as well.

This has also been enlightening in terms of how well these online vendors tag and list their items. I went on to several of these sites and searched for "Ike jacket" directly and came up dry. Then, scrolling through their items listed... whaddayaknow! There's an "Officer's Ike Jacket" for sale. Why that wouldn't come up even using that site's own internal search function is beyond me.

I'm also learning more about the particular colors involved. On that Ike jacket, the SOF guys make clear to call it out as OD 51. Which is also "dark olive drab chocolate" on WPG's site. In the militaria sites and on some of the other vendor sites they refer to the clothing in that color as "chocolates." This, as opposed to the "pinks." It's part of the fun doing the research to uncover this sort of history and complexity. Doesn't make finding things easier though!

Okay, SOF it is! Hopefully, they'll have it to me in time for any tailoring to be done to try it all out at LA Comic-Con. That, and working up a "blank" disc shield.

Again, thanks for the help!

Hello all! Yes, it's been a while.

I got all the elements pulled together in time for San Diego '23. This, to include working up a "blank" disc shield. For that, I bought a pretty cheap painted and starred one, stripped the paint and puttied over the star. Then I repainted it in a metallic silver. For the uniform I went with a full uniform from Soldier of Fortune in the UK.

The US WW2 Officers OD 51 Ike Jacket - AG1132
WW2 US Officers OD 51 Trousers - AG946-1777

While the cost was a bit more for the rest, the difference washed out in the overall shipping so I also ordered the shirt and tie from them at the same time. Once across the pond I took them to a tailor friend of mine and had him do his work on altering the jacket to more match what was on screen. And to work on the pants as well.

The results are thus:

20230722_103156.jpg

Almost immediately after this photo one of the brackets holding the straps for the shield broke. It truly was a cheap bit of kit. But, it served its purpose. In the month that followed I fabricated my own brackets out of sheet metal and learned I'm gonna keep my day job and not change careers into being a machinist. But, I got done what I needed and that was in time for Dragon Con.

There, I hooked up with the pro photographer who was running his mini-studio through the whole weekend. Good stuff, that!

_D4S7943.jpg

_ED44346.jpg

MAJ Winters and CPT Nixon Ike Jacket. I rather have these than the Marlow White. They are more appropriate.

Does anyone know the company that makes them. Thank you.

The Marlow White "Ike" jacket is now a standard issue US Army item. And it is directly styled from the original WWII US Army "Ike" jackets.

The one I picked up through SOF is even more exacting in that regard.

Finding an original "Ike" jacket means finding a truly "vintage" bit of clothing. Good luck with that. First off, the prices are gonna match the rarity. Secondly, it's not gonna be mint and it will show that. As depicted on screen, Steve Rogers is wearing a very fresh, very new, and ver well tailored officer's uniform Ike jacket. Finding a vintage bit of Ike jacket goodness that is still that new looking will be no small feat. Especially trying to find one in a modern man's size.

Which brings up another issue - size. For the officers in the world's military, they were issued a clothing allotment that they'd be expected to use procuring their own uniforms. They'd go to the recommended tailors who had access to the higher quality fabrics intended for officer's attire and then that tailore would make them a "bespoke" uniform item. Oh, it'd be in proper regulation but it would tailored to them like a fine suit is today. Nothing of the rack.

Plus, for the movie? Yeah, Chris Evan's costume was tailored to the fare-thee-well for him.

What I found worked was getting the SOF uniform and handing it over to a tailore for him to work from. It could use adjusting even still. This was our first go 'round on working the costume for me. But I think that's your best route.

Madoc

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back