Captain America Avengers Costume 2012 WIP - ceije

ceije1010

So I've been going through a lot of the post and collecting great info from a lot of talented individuals making the CA Avengers costume.

I've been working on the helmet lately. I got it from Maulfett. (great skills that man) After about two weeks of reshaping the interior to fit my strange shaped head and trimming, sanding, priming, sanding again then final pain and detail... it's about 90% done and I may still darken and fade the blue.

I'm going to take some motorcycle jacket material (cordura, I believe) for the neck piece since the material is stiff and will hold a shape but still be flexible and breathable and give the "printed" fabric look.

I'm going to go with the Oakley Assualt shoe and build on that as being done by TheCrusader on his posting

Icon red pursuit gloves and build on gauntlets as TheCrusader is doing in his post

I'm debating the torso piece between having it made pro or going the motorcycle jacket route and chopping it up and building off that. I like the build of the jacket and material is easy to color.

Bamabat supplied me the chest star and was nice enough to through in some extra ones, I used to test paint. Found auto interior trim paint was the best for the rubber. No cracking... (3rd times a charm)

Shield will be done to Valor's 10" center specs

And the pants will be a built up pair of dickies

The belt will be a Molly system belt I have from my days in the military with the pouches. I will most likely test color with fabric paint then if that doesnt work I'm going to wrap it.

I'll post update pics as I go, I'm thinking all in all about a 6 month build (finances mainly, mouths to feed and such)

side note: hopefully I'm giving credit where credit is due on my ideas. Greatly appreciate the inspiration.

photo46.jpg

photo28.jpg

photo110.jpg

photo52.jpg

photo213.jpg

old school blue

The star looks good. What did material did you use? I cut out pieces of thin gauge ductwork for mine but I didn't use it. Do you have an idea how to fasten the star to the shield because of the curve?

Looks good so far. Great job

Thanks for the compliment.

I used a aluminum caution sign from home depot. Used aircraft stripper to take off the coating on the back. And a pair of tin snips to cut it out and a rubber malot to flatten it.

I have a few ideas to attach it. Either pop rivet it on but I'm concerned about creating a dent in the star itself or I'm going to try copper epoxy. It's flexible and and bonds most metals. I've used it on a lot of steam punk weapons I've made.

I've had a lot of free time the past two days.

I've made more progress and am stopping at the paint for now. It's a 7 day curing process on anodized paint. To make the "perfect" circles in a cheaper way than buying a 10 inch compass and then having to make my own I took a 10 inch styrofoam circle taped the edges of it and found it's center then secured it to the center of the shield and outlined it. then from there I measured out to around 3 inch stripes.

I took a paint stirring stick and measured the distance and drilled holes at those distances to place a pencil in the stir stick. Then secured the stick to the center of the shield and ran it around the shield to make the circles. worked pretty well with some adjustments.

Then to make it easier to mask the circles I took regular masking tape and stripped it to about 1/2 inch strips to make them easier to run around the shield. Then from there I can just mask the rest with tape and paper.

photo313.jpg

photo411.jpg

star still not attached
photo216.jpg

photo115.jpg

you ever get the feeling you talking to yourself...

Shield 75% complete

after the paint fully cures then onto the rear for straps then star attachment

photo53.jpg

photo314.jpg

photo217.jpg

photo116.jpg

Thanks!

My chin works out well but my nose has been broken so many time I had to try and shape the helmet around it so it didn't look as crooked as it is

very niiiiiiiiice, got a question tho buddy, I'm working on a captain britain movie mask and can't seem to find the right paint, what did you use?

The paint I'm using is duplicolor anodized metalcast paint for the shield. I've tested on other materials and it bonds well, but clear coating has been an issue.

For the helmet I'm using a basic 2x coverage krylon paint.

The duplicolor can be found at autozone or pepboys, etc. and the krylon at any hardware store.

I've seen a Captain Britan helmet on this forum today actually fully painted, I'd search that see what he used.

Hope that helps.

I'm waiting for the paint to cure so I'm working on what I can for the actual costume.

This is the abs section of the torso piece. I used armor from an old motorcycle jacket and found while I was stripping it down that the CE armor for the forearms will make good gauntlets for the arm pieces.

photo6.jpg

Mask has 3 layers of primer then wet sanded. Then 4 coats of the Krylon paint for the blue and three coats of aluminum paint for the A and wings then 3 coats of clear coat... That being said I have dropped it and banged it against a wall (cause I'm clumsy) and just scuff marks I can wipe off with my finger

Star attached via copper epoxy... and holding with the bends to the star points. Yeah, I'm stoked. Now onto the brackets. I may just go with functional arm straps and not go movie accurate.

photo117.jpg

photo315.jpg

If you look closely you can see a Cap sticker on my mirror and the TFA back pack... surprisingly I'm married and she is, well ok with it
photo218.jpg

Thanks. It's a fun build. I'm thinking of making a smaller version, reinforced and aerodynamic... and hopefully safe to throw.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back