Cap's Screen Matched USO Heater Shield from Captain America: The First Avenger

Tom

Captain America’s screen-matched hero USO Heater Shield used by Chris Evans in Captain America: The First Avenger.

Captain America’s signature weapon, his shield, is as much a symbol of the superhero as his renowned patriotism and integrity. The first appearance of the shield is this USO version seen during Cap’s daring rescue of Bucky (Sebastian Stan) from the Hydra base and encounter with Johann Schmidt/Red Skull (Hugo Weaving). This heater-style hero shield is constructed of an aluminum core with thin brass front and back panels, expertly studio painted and finished in red, white, and blue. The shield measures 25" x 20.25" x 0.4". The reverse side contains two padded-leather arm straps. Production marks, dents, and distress on this shield match those in the movie scene. The ability to screen match this piece to a scene is an extremely rare occurrence and the most highly-coveted classification, as it is serves as the ultimate provenance due to the irrefutable evidence that the prop was used on screen. It is believed to be the only “hero” metal version ever offered at auction.

If you're thinking, "Dude, you just copied the auction description", well--that's true. But I wrote it, so... ;)

Obtaining a screen-matched hero Cap shield is tough; I'll probably never have another one. It's heavy, too. Most of the time, you see lighter stunt shields when he's running around. Now I'm thinking I should have kept it, had a display built, and put it on the wall of the home theater. But there are so many awesome things that come around. Sometimes, I lose perspective. There are props I regret selling that I'll probably never see again. I'm just rambling. Anyway, someone is going to get an incredible piece.

cap197.4_2.jpg

cap197.4b_3.jpg

Very cool. Is the metal really 0.4" thick? That translates to 10mm!

How are the leather handles attached? I'm guessing they're riveted to the rear brass sheet and probably the aluminium too? And the front piece of hides the rivets?

How are the leather handles attached? I'm guessing they're riveted to the rear brass sheet and probably the aluminium too? And the front piece of hides the rivets?

The metal is pretty thick and the shield is sorta heavy. I don't know how the handles are attached because I sent it to New York for the auction that ends in about 9 days. I should have the guys weigh it so I can at least convey that bit of info.

I'll ask how the handles are attached too, and see if they can determine how it was done.

Ok, just got a response. He said:

"The whole thing is indeed 0.4” thick, it’s two metal sheets attached to an aluminum frame. Hard to say exactly how the handles are attached, they’re covered with padded leather, they’re on very securely so I would guess that they’re riveted to the back panel. The shield weighs almost exactly 10 lbs."

I would also guess that the handles are riveted because the shield is quite substantial and when I put my arm through the handle and grabbed the grip, it was rock solid; nothing felt loose and there was no play in the attachment of the handles.

That's amazing. I think I would have hung on to that. I have an original Macleod shield from the first Highlander movie, the one used by Dougal Macleod in the battle scenes and I have considered parting with it a number of times. It originally came from Propstore London and I know they wanted to reacquire it but I haven't been able let it go yet!

View attachment 1338138View attachment 1338138

Last edited:
Thank you. I have had it for many years but I guess one day it will have to go. It's not a main character piece like yours but it is still very recognisable on screen.

Thank you. I have had it for many years but I guess one day it will have to go. It's not a main character piece like yours but it is still very recognisable on screen.

I think that piece would do really well at auction. While Kurgan's sword and outfit (recently sold) go for big money, You don't see many mid-level pieces, and that actually increases the value because people may fight harder to get it. That, and it makes a GREAT display piece!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back