Can you dye bleech?

TK171

The wife got a few little bleech spots on a pair to her brown pants.. down near the bottom of the legs.

it turned an off white as bleech does with darker colors- slightly faded outwared to where it becomes brown aagain.

She was going to throw them out, but was curious if it was possible to get some brown Rite Dye and see if I can "touch" it up so it wouldn't be that noticeable or at all..

weird question I know, but anyone try this? Figured costuming area would get best results.

I know I could try it since dye is cheap and she was going to throw them out anyways, but don't want to waste my time if people have tried before and can save me my time and troubles.

thoughts or experiences?

I've dyed,misdyed,bleached and redyed items several times. make sure to wash the bleach out. colormatchg will be the challange. hopefully there wasn't too much bleach, as to damage the fibers.

Thanks for the info.

It's not real bad.. just a few little spots here and there towards the bottom of the pant legs. Can't recall off hand, but I think they are in the inside as well- which would hide it a bit as it is.

Figured if I got some brown dye and got it close to matching.. it wouldn't be as noticable and it wouldn't be a total loss to her.

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I would be more likely to head to Michael's or a fabric store and buy a fabric marker. They looke and work just like a Magic Marker. It is a lot easier and neater than using dye.

I would suggest bleaching the whole garment, and then dyeing it brown afterwards. It's the only way to get it an even color. Just be careful not to overdo it and burn the fibers.

If it's small spots, you can use slightly thinned out fabric paint as well & use a small brush (or airbrush if you can) to apply -easier to colormatch & control.. Wash first, follow directions & heat-set afterward. Spot dying will easily bleed into the edges of the solid color, darkening it. There's a way to do it using a resist, but that's probably more complicated than you want to get into. Same thing with paste dye. Fabric markers are good, but your colors are limited & you often have the same bleeding problem. If they're inexpensive pants to replace, might be cheaper to buy another pair than overall bleaching & redying...
good luck,
Jayn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back