Can Flex Foam-It make Dreadlocks?

Uratz

Sr Member
Greetings Friends!

I've seen a bunch of guys here use "Cold Foam" to make dreadlocks but I have no idea what brand or from which company they get it from.
All I know is its a 2 part foam that is tinted black...I'd like to get this if I knew exactly what it is.
And I do have a batch of Flex-Foam it V from smooth-on and I'm wondering if that can be used to make Dreadlocks ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like an answer to that question too,......also wonder what the best glue is to attach foam to latex,....assuming hot glue,....
then again they still come off a little too easy,....sorry to hijack your thread mike,......but maybe a ton of dread questions can all be answered in here ,...
ya know ??.....

I'd make a support in the back of the head and mount each dread through something like plugs or bolts.

Anyway, I think you CAN use it for dreads, but it looks a bit stiff, you might want something to shape them or pre-shape them.

Mike as far as i know the approx density of the better dreads out there is 2 or 3 lb density, i have some 4 and its alittle too stiff, so i guess any soft, 2 part foam of those densities would be good.

I'd PM Clay and see what foam he used in his tests. Part of me want to say it was Flex Foam-It 2, which is uber soft, but I'm not certain...

Flex V will be too rigid. Even the 3 lb. can turn out too stiff if the backpressure (if any) isn't just right. Another thing to be aware of is that Smooth-on Foams don't get along particularly well with their own tin based silicones. A lot of collapse issues (both in the mold and out, well after demolding). I've spoken to Smooth-on about this and they're aware there is a problem, but they don't have any answers. I haven't had a chance to experiment with it using platinum-based silicones, but I'd say if you're going to use a Smooth-on foam for dreads, I'd be sure to mold your dreads with a platinum silicone.

Mike as far as i know the approx density of the better dreads out there is 2 or 3 lb density, i have some 4 and its alittle too stiff, so i guess any soft 2 part foam of those densities would be good.

Yeah I think the heavier foams are just to rigid. I've seen a thread with Alphatech using the cold foam for his predalien-like dreads. I think I'll give him a shout but he's hardly active here.

I already have a set of dreads and rings. Where can I find a tutorial on how to arrange them on the mask? Which ones go to the outside? Where do I put the longest dreads? I think I know how to attach them at the base. I just want to be sure that I set them up in the right pattern.

Any links that can help?

Thanx!

You can use it Mike, but the 5lb will be too stiff. The main problem I had with the smooth on foam was that it was amazingly sensitive to just about everything. Too hot? Collapsed. Too cold? Collapsed. Too humid? Collapsed. Didn't stir it long enough? Collapsed. Stirred it too long? Guess. It also didn't skin very well, in either tin or platinum silicones.

If you can get it, use kryolan foam. Much better in every respect. I would stop making dreads rather than use flexfoam-it again.

the foam I have used for years is BJB 265 its a 2 pound soft foam and the best part is BJB will mix it black fore you so its not a dark shade of gray

Hey all,

Am recent newbie but for my dreads I used "foam backer rods" about 1inch thick for about 69p a meter. I then painted these black with an acrylic paint - overall it was quite affective. :(

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back