Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 --- How is it??

Kotaku.com opinion piece: Why It's Stupid to Hate Call of Duty

Why It's Stupid To Hate Call of Duty So Damn Much

Interesting perspective, but I can also offer an opinion on why it's "smart" (or at least understandable) to hate COD. And really, it's the same reason to hate Michael Bay.

What is popular is inevitably imitated.

Unfortunately, in the world of entertainment and risk-averse investors, the tendency is to replicate the last really popular thing out there. Sometimes folks take a risk. Hell, COD did by jumping from a WWII setting to a "Modern Warfare" setting (although arguably they were inspired by Battlefield 2, which was itself inspired by the Desert Combat mod for BF1942...but that's as may be).

When a game like COD becomes popular, people look to recreate that popularity, and so end up designing towards what they think will be popular. The goal here, after all, is to make money. Or, to paraphrase a well-known rapper, "**** innovation. Get money."

Now, this would all be fine and dandy, except for the fact that what it means is that the realm of entertainment isn't ALWAYS quite the "live and let live" environment described in the article. It's ok to like Call of Duty. It's also ok to like Michael Bay films.

It is NOT, however, ok for those to become the dominant standard to the point that they crowd out other games and stifle innovation. That, I think, is why you see such hatred for COD. It's not JUST that it's got a particular style of gameplay that some don't enjoy. If that was all there was to it, you'd just get the occasional "Mac vs. PC" debates. "BF3 vs. MW3" or whatever. Yeah yeah, my dad can beat up your dad, tastes great, less filling, whatever. The degree of revulsion associated with COD, however, I think comes from how staggeringly successful it is, coupled with a concern that "This means they'll stop making the stuff I dig." Thus, someone's fandom -- which should normally have NOTHING to do with you -- becomes "your business" because their enjoyment of the game ends up indirectly robbing you of your enjoyment of other games...as other games all design towards the "new benchmark" that COD sets.

Now, in truth, that's not what's happened in gaming. The BF series has remained steadfastly true to a different approach to gaming. You've got the ARMA series for "milsim" type stuff, if you dig that. And so on and so forth. But I can see where someone's dislike of a game or gaming style could lead them to LOATHING everything about a game and the people who play it -- mostly because they worry that such popularity will eventually engulf their own preferred playstyle.

Fortunately, as I said, there's enough variety out there if you know where to look, and more than that -- it seems that even if you DO loathe the MW series....they've managed to finally irritate the very fans they've catered to by...um...catering to them.

I hate being entertained! Call of Duty, why do you entertain so well?!?!

Heh, cute. In all seriousness, though, I'm still surprised at why fans are irritated that MW3 is "the same as the last game." Isn't that true of ALL the games?

As for the haters of COD, I think it's -- as I said -- more about them NOT being entertained by COD, and worried that that style of gaming will bleed into the stuff they dig.

Needlessly, it turns out, but they worry (and hate) nonetheless.

I thought the MW2 storyline was pretty doofy, myself, but more because of how knowingly over-the-top it was. That said, it had some pretty badass set-piece battles. ("RAMIREZ!! GET YOUR ASS TO BURGERTOWN!!") Others were just annoying though (the Brazilian shanty-town mission sucked).

For what it's worth, BF3's single player is pretty goofy, too, and seems VERY SIMILAR to Black Ops thus far. I actually enjoyed Bad Company 1 and 2 a bit more.

Anyway, if folks jump ship to BF3, look me up on PC -- I use Solo4114 there, too.

i havent played the single player yet, its all about the multiplayer for me, so far its more annoying than anything,

no marathon - so you have to keep stopping and starting running (even with the new version of marathon - whatever it's called, the thing to give you a bit longer running, but not much)
then if you have that on, you can't have cold blooded on (because theyre part of the same perk), so you can run for a bit longer but then get taken out by every uav
i dont like the idea of the kill streaks carrying on after you die either, defeats the object of skill for getting kill streaks. makes them pointless.

i'm sure they'll be other points to rant about soon (as i play it more), but for now mw2 is better imo

I was hesitant with all the Changes they made in black ops with contracts and cash and buying your upgrades but you know what? It was a kick ass system and really liked it. It sucks they got rid of it in MW3.

i havent played the single player yet, its all about the multiplayer for me, so far its more annoying than anything,

no marathon - so you have to keep stopping and starting running (even with the new version of marathon - whatever it's called, the thing to give you a bit longer running, but not much)
then if you have that on, you can't have cold blooded on (because theyre part of the same perk), so you can run for a bit longer but then get taken out by every uav
i dont like the idea of the kill streaks carrying on after you die either, defeats the object of skill for getting kill streaks. makes them pointless.

i'm sure they'll be other points to rant about soon (as i play it more), but for now mw2 is better imo

Actually, in MW3 can have marathon and assassin on at the same time. It's the assassin perk that hides you from UAVs. Hiding from helicopters requires the blind eye perk which conflicts with marathon. I think they did this on purpose since in MW2 you could have marathon pro and ghost pro and be all set, but that's a bit too much since ghost pro hides you from everything.

The more I play it.. the more I hate it. Most maps are grey... grey grey grey, it sucks visually. The sound is garbage. everything is muffled. The new pirks suck, and the best ones are gone. Scavenger is useless because you cant pick up tubes and launchers. Nades and tubes are useless now too. I'm gonna sell it... It sucks hard. I love MW1 and 2.... Hate WAW and BO.. and now I'm adding MW3 to the list of garbage COD games.

The thing that kills it like the ones before is the lag. I've had my gun in people's faces, fired first, trigger held down. Guy kills me with one-two shots. You look at the killcam and it looks like I didn't even fire. Disappointing to say the least.

Something must be wrong with the mics because NO ONE talks during this game. People just run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

The thing that kills it like the ones before is the lag. I've had my gun in people's faces, fired first, trigger held down. Guy kills me with one-two shots. You look at the killcam and it looks like I didn't even fire. Disappointing to say the least.

Something must be wrong with the mics because NO ONE talks during this game. People just run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

They're most likely in private party chat. It's the only way to avoid the racists, homophobes, and foul mouthed fifth graders.

^ This is why I don't multiplayer, plus the fact i don't like dealing with real people out in the world let alone at home, i don't mind the racists or homophobes but it's the little pukes that you know are only like 10 years old. It nearly made my one friend stop playing halo reach.

talking to a bunch of buddies and they are saying MW3 is really good. I've heard both sides. I bought BF3 but really hated it. I figure I will give this one a try. Might as well get something back on bf3

Actually, in MW3 can have marathon and assassin on at the same time. It's the assassin perk that hides you from UAVs. Hiding from helicopters requires the blind eye perk which conflicts with marathon. I think they did this on purpose since in MW2 you could have marathon pro and ghost pro and be all set, but that's a bit too much since ghost pro hides you from everything.

that's what i meant, killed by choppers etc, so you can either run for a little bit and get shot ALL the time by choppers etc, or not run at all but not get shot by the air support

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back