C3PO Vacuformed

The GA helmets, what is that on the inside? Is that just regular old fiberglass mat or is it that the version of bondo resin with the fiberglass strands already inside it? If its the latter i will definitely stay away from that crap

We did try both. ABS does not work for the high details. So for best ressult it is Fiberglass. Ironicly the ABS takes the chrome better, less chance for the orrange peal look. Real tricky.

We did try both. ABS does not work for the high details. So for best ressult it is Fiberglass. Ironicly the ABS takes the chrome better, less chance for the orrange peal look. Real tricky.

You can get better results with fiberglass, you just have to take your time and wet sand everything smooth to a glass finish.

Here's a shot of my fiberglass suit which isn't heavy to wear at all. The wall thicknesses isn't like a car bumper. At the most you're looking at 1/8th in material.
4784370418_f5bfe2b68d.jpg

Very fine finish!! But out of curiousity...

How long did you take to sand that peice down for this ressult?
Did you get any Orange Peal look?
Did you try several times?
And what chrome method did you use?

Hmm.. Maybe we sould offer some kits, and people could wet sand them self..

Very fine finish!! But out of curiousity...

How long did you take to sand that peice down for this ressult?
Did you get any Orange Peal look?
Did you try several times?
And what chrome method did you use?

Hmm.. Maybe we sould offer some kits, and people could wet sand them self..

The wet sanding didn't take that long; maybe an hour per part? I never timed myself:) The most important part is sanding in stages and not hurrying. Start with a 220 then move to a 320 and finish with 400 or 600 grit to get the glass finish. Also I used the Dupli-color filler automotive primer; IMO it's the best stuff out on the market and will hide any small sandpaper marks.

No I didn't get any orange peel on the suit. I've heard of this happening due to silicone from the mold getting into the parts so perhaps MLC isn't using silicone molds for his parts or it could have to do with the brand of primer I used.

The suit was only plated once.

I used vacuum metalizing, same as the original suit.

ORIGINAL1979C3pohead.jpg

ORIGINALSEVENTIESC3POsmallpicright.jpg

ORIGINALSEVENTIESC3POSmallpic.jpg

ORIGINALSEVENTIESC3POSeperated.jpg

This is the original head we aquired. Note the bolts are not as seen in the movies but these were atached on, Aperently there vere several different bolts & discs. This mask is one of the original helmets, probably not used in the movies, but right from the mould as was one of several used to test the different chrome colors. It was dark rich gold before but this gotten pale over the years.

Asside from the mask..

Here are some older photos of a suit we did.
CIMG1212.jpg

CIMG1213.jpg

CIMG1263.jpg

CIMG1267.jpg

C3POREPLICASUITCHROMEDC3PO.jpg

CHROMEDC3POFULLSIZECOSTUMEPROP.jpg

800x600C3PO3.jpg

This bellow is a statue in painted gold color. Not chrome.
CIMG2459.jpg

Here is the C3PO We made and still got the moulds for. The head is from an original that we bought from the original chromers in UK.

n529327813_400968_2790.jpg
n529327813_400971_3704.jpg

n529327813_400974_4600.jpg
n529327813_400980_6313.jpg

n529327813_400987_8592.jpg
n529327813_400986_8300.jpg

n529327813_400988_8880.jpg
n529327813_400965_1925.jpg

n529327813_400970_3367.jpg

ah, so cool, you´ve been tha maker!! I had one of your C3-Po´s for years until I sold it. The head was awsome. Also a great wheathering on it. :thumbsup

I've been looking for a 3PO to ride on the back of my landspeeder that I could mount in a sitting position. I also need an inexpensive light weight R2D2. See the speeder at RealMovieToys.com for an idea of what I'm working with. We have the Dallas Christmas parade this Saturday and was hopping to have the two droids on the back by then, but now it's getting to late. Let me know if you can help or have suggestions.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back