Building your own lightsaber difficulty

AndyC

Hey everyone, I did a search and didn't really find the answer I was looking for. I'm thinking about ordering parts from the custom saber shop or ultra sabers or wherever maybe a little bit of both and building my own lightsaber. My question is what kind of difficulty level is involved with doing this? I have some lightsabers that I purchased already together of course and never taken them apart or anything so I was just curious what difficulty level there is involved and what kinds of I guess skills, knowledge, and what kinds of things one would need to know how to do before even starting on one?

Perhaps I'm not the guy to reply having two left hands when it comes to FX light and sound lightsabers . . . however I have come across some insightful lightsaber tutorials on youtube . . . so perhaps you can start there? Research is an important part of the process . . . so read and watch as much as you can muster before purchasing :)

Chaim

I've made a few costume sabers, but I'm no pro. However, there are many guys on TCSS forum who are pros. You can find a lot of info there. That's where I've learned.
But, just to answer your question: it depends on what you want to make.
If you want a simple stunt saber (no sound), you can musty buy the parts and just put (plug/screw) it together. (limited soldering needed)
If you want sound and a nice looking/unique hilt, and a crystal chamber; then you'll need some skill with a Dremel and soldering iron.
My first few saber's where sink tube stunt sabers. And they work great for cosplaying, and dueling. Spend some time on the Saber shop forum, and you'll find all the info you need.

Well skill level aside, if I was making it exactly how I wanted it would be with sound and with a crystal chamber. I can handle a dremel no problem, soldering on the other hand I've never done in my life

Being that I can't solder and I've never even seen someone in person solder before and honestly I really don't know what soldering even is I'm thinking about just buying a saber with the crystal chamber in it. I've looked at Saberforge and Slothfurnace. Any opinions on which to go with? If I go Saberforge I'll go with the tier 4 Crystal reveal exalted or tier 4 crystal reveal prodigal son if I go Slothfurnace then I want the Luke ROTJ saber with crystal chamber that he made a few years ago. Though I can't even find if Slothfurnace builds sabers to sell or just for himself.

My 'personal' recommendation would be to stay away form Ultrasabers, I have read and see the horror stories, and I wouldnt chance it myself. (unless you are looking for a cheaper/beater type saber)

Going The Custom Saber Shop (TCSS) [www.thecustomsabershop.com] route, the parts are all threaded so you can mix-n-match and builder your own custom design.

Here is an app for the store: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php to virtually build before you buy. :)

There are many soundboard wiring/soldering tutorials out there (or you can commission someone to wire it up for you)

And TCSS also offers parts to build/add in your own crystal chamber as well..

might take some reading to get familiar with the terminology and how things fit together... but I have no doubt you can do it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Being that I can't solder and I've never even seen someone in person solder before and honestly I really don't know what soldering even is I'm thinking about just buying a saber with the crystal chamber in it. I've looked at Saberforge and Slothfurnace. Any opinions on which to go with? If I go Saberforge I'll go with the tier 4 Crystal reveal exalted or tier 4 crystal reveal prodigal son if I go Slothfurnace then I want the Luke ROTJ saber with crystal chamber that he made a few years ago. Though I can't even find if Slothfurnace builds sabers to sell or just for himself.

Sloth builds sabers in a private commission sort of way.. Not a store or a product line or things of that sort.. and hes not exactly 'cheap'. Usually its a custom, one-of-kind type build.

Re; Soldering, watch some tutorials on it.. once you practice a few times.. it will be easy for you. (or commission someone to solder it up for you)

My 'personal' recommendation would be to stay away form Ultrasabers, I have read and see the horror stories, and I wouldnt chance it myself. (unless you are looking for a cheaper/beater type saber)

Going The Custom Saber Shop (TCSS) [www.thecustomsabershop.com] route, the parts are all threaded so you can mix-n-match and builder your own custom design.

Here is an app for the store: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php to virtually build before you buy. :)

There are many soundboard wiring/soldering tutorials out there (or you can commission someone to wire it up for you)

And TCSS also offers parts to build/add in your own crystal chamber as well..

might take some reading to get familiar with the terminology and how things fit together... but I have no doubt you can do it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Sloth builds sabers in a private commission sort of way.. Not a store or a product line or things of that sort.. and hes not exactly 'cheap'. Usually its a custom, one-of-kind type build.

Re; Soldering, watch some tutorials on it.. once you practice a few times.. it will be easy for you. (or commission someone to solder it up for you)

ive already got 3 ultra sabers so far. One with emerald and sound and two with just sound no problems at all with them. If I buy one I'm leaning a bit more words sloth because his blades appear in videos to power up and power down the blade rather than just popping on like a flashlight.

ive already got 3 ultra sabers so far. One with emerald and sound and two with just sound no problems at all with them. If I buy one I'm leaning a bit more words sloth because his blades appear in videos to power up and power down the blade rather than just popping on like a flashlight.

those blade are 'string blades'. (meaning many high brightness leds in a ladder formation inside a poly tube)

sort like the MR blades (but he custom makes them and uses hb leds)...

the difference between a string blade and a high powered led is that the string blade is prone it breaking if used to hit stuff with (fighting...etc) (not to mention the time and costs of a string blade).

you can contact him, but its not like he just 'takes orders'... :)

There are many others out there though, so dont give up if hes busy. Maybe try contacting Vaders Vault or Genesis Custom Sabers?

those blade are 'string blades'. (meaning many high brightness leds in a ladder formation inside a poly tube)

sort like the MR blades (but he custom makes them and uses hb leds)...

the difference between a string blade and a high powered led is that the string blade is prone it breaking if used to hit stuff with (fighting...etc) (not to mention the time and costs of a string blade).

you can contact him, but its not like he just 'takes orders'... :)

There are many others out there though, so dont give up if hes busy. Maybe try contacting Vaders Vault or Genesis Custom Sabers?

i sent him a message on Facebook, waiting to hear back. Hoping since I'm in no hurry at all that he will at least consider maybe putting me on a waiting list. I've get 3 ultra sabers and 2 of the movie force fx sabers. My only complaint with the ultra sabers is the blades don't power up or power down. Just like turning a flashlight on and I hate that. I never fight with mine anyway so that's no concern. Mine are just for wall art.

I'm not 100% sure what soundboard Ultrasabers uses in their hilts anymore (used to be the Obsidian or something).. I'm also not sure what type of (if any) led driver effects it gives?

Going with one of the Plecter Labs boards will give you many led effect options... ramp up/down..shimmer/flash of clash...etc..

That being said, nothing will be as pronounced for a scrolling (power on) effect like a string blade will...

If Brad/Sloth doesnt reposnd or doesnt have any time.

check out: http://vadersvault.com/

They have some nice custom hilts as well.. (although I'm not sure of their wait list/time either to be honest)

My ultra sabers have the obsidian 3.0 soundboard, one also has the emerald driver the rest are just standard. I love the hilts and details on the ultra sabers,, but I prefer the hasbro force fx blades with the more realistic power up and down with the lights.

Some other great saber smiths are Darth Alice and Darkside Engineering of the Imperial Royal Arms forum.

Well what I'm looking for at the moment is a really really good replica of Luke's ROTJ saber. I have the force fx version but I'd like a better one. Especially one with the crystal chamber and the power up power down blade with those led light string things like the force fx blade has.

There are several decent replicas of the Luke RotJ lightsaber out there made by saber smiths but again, the LED string blades, which is what you want, are not something easy to come by without making it yourself. For the blade you might try Makototsai but he's Chinese and as far as I can determine, does not speak English. As such, communication could be difficult. Also his blades are not normally designed to work with the Plecter Labs Crystal Focus LS sound boards and are instead designed to work with his very own sound board which is limited in functionality when compared to all the rest. However there has been at least one person that was able to communicate with Makototsai well enough to get some custom LED string blades made up that DO work with the CFLS sound board. I don't remember who that was but I'm sure xl97 will be more than happy to provide you with that information.

As for the hilt, well, there's Saber Forge but you might want to read up on him before going that route. He'd be the cheapest though. One Replicas of the Imperial Arms forum is doing a run of them but has not finished them yet and right now, it's very hard to contact him (he lives in Venezuela and also has intermittent Internet connectivity). Then there's Korbanth as well as General Grevious of LDMCustomSabers. Both are members of the FX-Sabers forum. I hope that helps.

There are several decent replicas of the Luke RotJ lightsaber out there made by saber smiths but again, the LED string blades, which is what you want, are not something easy to come by without making it yourself. For the blade you might try Makototsai but he's Chinese and as far as I can determine, does not speak English. As such, communication could be difficult. Also his blades are not normally designed to work with the Plecter Labs Crystal Focus LS sound boards and are instead designed to work with his very own sound board which is limited in functionality when compared to all the rest. However there has been at least one person that was able to communicate with Makototsai well enough to get some custom LED string blades made up that DO work with the CFLS sound board. I don't remember who that was but I'm sure xl97 will be more than happy to provide you with that information.

As for the hilt, well, there's Saber Forge but you might want to read up on him before going that route. He'd be the cheapest though. One Replicas of the Imperial Arms forum is doing a run of them but has not finished them yet and right now, it's very hard to contact him (he lives in Venezuela and also has intermittent Internet connectivity). Then there's Korbanth as well as General Grevious of LDMCustomSabers. Both are members of the FX-Sabers forum. I hope that helps.

it helps a great deal thank you very much! I'm waiting to hear back from Slothfurnace right now as the one he built in 2010 is what first caught my eye, once I hear one way or the other from him I'll know which direction I need to go in next. Also I've read up on Saberforge and seen a lot of good and a lot of bad. I've also seen all the bad on ultrasabers yet I have 3 of there sabers and not had even a seconds trouble out of them yet. Knock on wood. Also spoken with Emory a few times in emails with questions and concerns I've had and he has been excellent to talk to. Very friendly and very helpful. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or if I'm on borrowed time till things go south with the sabers, or if they have just made great improvements.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back