Building two props that I've wanted for YEARS! Done in one month

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There are props that everyone wants at some point. These sometimes are far fetched dreams of one day building a model kit of an xwing, or learning to sew and making a spacesuit. For me it was learning basic woodworking and fiberglass/resin work so I could build two props I have wanted for many years, a Han Solo in Carbonite and Ghostbusters Proton Pack.

I had all the pieces for these kits sitting around gathering dust for about 4 years but I never had the confidence to start building them. Then last month I decided that I needed to build the Han in Carbonite. It was a daunting task since I had not worked with wood since 8th grade and I had not really worked with fiberglass. I researched many builds, took screen shots of many fan made and screen used builds then jumped in. I finished it in two weeks. Although I still need to add the side panels and electronics.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Then I moved onto my next build, the Proton pack. I had almost all the parts (thanks to a good friend) but still felt this was beyond my skills. But again, I just dove in. I still have a couple of parts coming but after 7 days, it's almost done.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Basically, I recommend to any member here to find a project that scares you a little bit and take it on.

Definitely looks amazing! I've always been scared of crafting stuff myself because i deem myself as an un-artistic person and can barely draw stick figures. You've inspired me to give it a shot :)

Awesome builds!
Can I ask you how much it could be for a proton pack kit like that?
You gave me the courage to mod my Mags I was so afraid to open up, maybe I could try another project like that...

Last edited:
man oh man... loving that HIC. That is one of my dream builds for sure. What you have there right now looks really damn nice to me.

Also love the base that you built for it.

Thanks for for the compliments everyone, it really is satisfying to build something and have it turn out Ike you want it to. Next on my list of builds and skills would be learning to airbrush and build a Boba Fett costume and a Studio Scale Xwing.

Awesome builds!
Can I ask you how much it could be for a proton pack kit like that?
You gave me the courage to mod my Mags I was so afraid to open up, maybe I could try another project like that...

Thanks bro. I would say that a good fiberglass proton pack and all the accessories (lights, sounds, wand, greeblies, alice frame, wires, tubes) to build it would be around $800ish. If you add in aluminum parts or real Clippard parts it would more like $1200-$1400. My pack has both, real parts and aluminum parts but is not 100% accurate (ribbon cable is a GB2 ribbon, etc) but I think mine ended up about $800 to build.

Doesn't that feel good!
I find myself spending so much time planning a build, when instead I should just jump in and DO it!
Congrats on doing it! They look great.

I have a lot of props but nothing in comparison to the infamous Han in carbonite....one of my favorite loves from Empire strikes Back....you have done amazing work , you should be so very proud of your achievement sir !!! Congrats on such an awesome collection !

Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments and post. I did take a few build pics of each prop but not a step by step series.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back