Building the Falcon

QuartZ

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just wanted to post the link to a blog I started (no not that kind of blog) to document the impending buildup of my Fine Molds Falcon kit. PHArchivist will be building his too and I'll feature it on the site. Come success or utter failure:

http://12-parsecs.blogspot.com/

Like the URL?

Well, after nearly two to three hours of work (most of which was spent washing styrene), we accomplished two or three small sub assemblies. LOTS of little parts.

But the detail is AMAZING. The aspect of having all the little parts glued on (instead of molded) in really doesn't translate well enough in photography to truly appreciate what this kit "brings to the table"...

I've completed one escape pod now, and I too broke at least a couple of the parts. Problem is the parts tree has more structural integrity than the part itself.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ May 30 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]1252843[/snapback]</div>
I've completed one escape pod now, and I too broke at least a couple of the parts. Problem is the parts tree has more structural integrity than the part itself.
[/b]

You need to use those sharp Xuron snippers to remove parts...those things rock.

-Raj

Yay. I suceeded in finishing the second escape pod without breaking any parts.

Yeah -- this kit will definitely require some new tools and techniques... Thanks for the tip.

FWIW, I repainted my entire work surface clean white today, (just for this kit.) simply because I was losing parts in the dirty marked-up surface.

Thanks for checking in on us Jeeves. :) Hopefully the information will be useful to some people and at least vaguely entertaining to others.

I added an update today.
Good point PH on the snipping of parts. I mentioned it in the blog, also I have a pair of those Xuron snippers you mentioned and agree they are magical. hehe.

I've cranked through 283 parts. I counted them up on the instructions last night. :) I should have more to update tonight or tomorrow morning.

<div class='quotetop'>(Forbidden Zone @ Jun 1 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]1254185[/snapback]</div>
QuartZ,

Great idea for a blog. Will you be lighting the kit?

Mike
[/b]

Good question...the answer is YES. :) I must have lights on mine. I'm currently working through different ideas for lighting the cockpit and the engines, I've spoken with some falcon builders who've done theirs and I've heard some interesting and different techniques. I just have to decide what I want to do with mine.

I'm sure lighting will be coming up on the blog when I get some more things finished.

I too am enjoying this blog guys, its reminding me how insane this lil kit is, i cant believe i eventually finished mine with my eyes in decent shape, what with the size of some of the geeblies. Ill be checking in frequently :)

I like your latest blog update, Q.

I myself am about 1/4 done (upper hull) with cutting the notches out. Its interesting -- you use a file; I'm using an exacto. Two different paths to the same destination.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 5 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]1256741[/snapback]</div>
I like your latest blog update, Q.

I myself am about 1/4 done (upper hull) with cutting the notches out. Its interesting -- you use a file; I'm using an exacto. Two different paths to the same destination.
[/b]

ralphee- I'm sure feeling the pain that you and every other FM Falcon builder experienced. However, it looks like the worst of the small bits is behind me. :)

PH- that's funny that you're doing the same thing right now only on the upper hull first, and with the x-acto. I thought about using the x-acto too but found the file method to be a breeze. I think I did all the notches in the lower hull in about 30-45 minutes. The first ones took more time as I tried to figure out my technique. Hehe. It looks like there's less notches on the upper hull. So pace yourself.

Oh and I ordered the photo etched grills and resin exhaust port details from MMI through starshipmodeler today. I should have them mid-week to evaluate. I'm still not sure about them, but I thought I'd buy them and take a look.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 5 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1256961[/snapback]</div>
Cool. Q, I got some more info to share/discuss, so drop a line/give a ring when you can.
[/b]

I added a new post this morning with some pics of the MMI photo etched parts. These are really nice pieces. plus I finished building the guns last night.

I got the MMI photetch pieces yesterday. They are very nice. I highly recomend them.

and someday, I will actually do more work on mine. Just need to find someone who knows electronics.

<div class='quotetop'>(yt @ Jun 8 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]1258803[/snapback]</div>
Very cool idea, dig the blog.
[/b]

Paul - aren't they nice? :) I honestly wasn't expecting such high quality PE pieces...shame on me I suppose.

Well at least I was happily surprised rather than let down. Good to have low expectations. (especially when one goes to the movie theater hehe) I'm also about to begin fumbling through my lighting, I think I'll start on the engines and headlights since they are the most straight forward, and I don't have my cockpit ready for illumination yet. I was thinking about adding a 4060 chip to my circuit to make my engine lights flicker. I'd like it to be so rapid that the blue glow appears constant but has a subtle rapid pulse to it. I think it would look more alive. And, it would consume less power since the LEDs would be on half the time.

yt - thanks for the kind words. It's a blast working on this model. I feel like a junior ILM monkeyboy back in the day.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back