Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Mission accomplished - mostly...

Set out to make significat progress on the center disc today, hoping to finish it. Needs a bit more sanding, so did not finish, but did make big progress.

Taped in place; does this image give you the sense of "Ah, now THAT's more like it!" too...?
030414 002.jpg

The disc so far; needs smidgen of filler and some sanding, then I'll apply all the detail
030414 001.jpg

Putting it all together...
030414 003.jpg

Last edited:
All right squids - here's the latest...

The new disc as of last Sunday. Was pretty unhappy with the sloppiness of the inner cone, the fact that the center hole was painted and not drilled, and some filaments in the paint just to the right of 6:00

030914 004.jpg

So I re-did the inner cone (3rd time), sanded the filaments, and re-sprayed. Added more strips to the inner cone, drilled out the center hole, and cleaned it up. Bugs me that the longer strip to the right of 6:00 is not aligned properly, but I can't fix it without re-spraying the entire disc, which makes me nervous. One bad coat of orange peel and its ruined...

031114 002.jpg

This is the old center disc for comparison...

031114 003.jpg

But... As you can see, I still have some imperfections. The filaments did not totally go away, I created a divot with the tip of the Exacto blade, and the strips on the inner cone are not perfectly uniform or aligned. Oh well - its as good as it gets!

031114 004.jpg

The two together. I dread ripping out the old one to install the new

031114 001.jpg

Finally, I added the vinyl to the ring you see here. The vinyl I think will work well. Whatever ILM used, you can see it peeling up EVERYwhere.
031114 006.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jason!

Not to put the onus on you, but it'd be easier to get you here than the globe there! But you are hands-down welcome!

Regarding the imperfections, I need to remind myself that in person the center disc is just 5cm wide, and most of what I refer to is not visible to the eye (at least my poor eyesight, unless bathed in sunlight).

On the other hand, properly lit and photographed in hi-resolution - that's when I fear the faults may pop.

FWIW, at least on my monitor, the thumbnails in the previous post display the disc at about life-size.

Okay then.

Spill it! [shakes fist] Spill it, darn you!

Would rather show you, but I didn't get that far.

Remember - this is ME, so even the smallest little bit of new **** I learn, I get all worked up about!

Tomorrow maybe... But a hint is that it is visible in the most recent studio shot I posted in the past week or so! It is also something I had very wrong before I re-did the dish.

Here's today's progress...

I successfully extracted the old center disc, mostly intact too! Remember, the new disc is bigger, so all that ugly white styrene will be covered nicely. And clearly I've started the inner circle radial detail (which is where my new discover lays!).

View attachment 296851

Enjoy...

Last edited:
are you referring to the inner most cone where there are double strips at 2:00 and 3:00?

I was aware of those (from this image) and thought about trying to duplicate it, but what you see (on mine) is what you get...

No - I'm referring to the next ring ring out... Take a close look.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back