Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Another great video. When carefully listened to, offers not only a preferred process on a specific part but a host of “other options” based on experience. Valuable stuff on other structures. Fore example: Drilling corner holes, drawings, scribing circular water lines, nibbling, scavenging material, etc. Thanks again eagle 1.
Thank you so much Searun. Glad you find my series of videos useful aids for your own magnificent build. Using a pencil & leveling it with blocks of wood to get window framing lines, nibbling, cutting styrene, sanding profiles, its all old school tech & so satisfying to see an assembly materialize before your eyes, with your own hands!. I can understand the 3D printer communities feelings on how they go about making parts, but its just not me, never will be. I want the fabrication process...

Great video, thank you for sharing your thoughts and design processes. Very educational.

I'm tweaking the mpc kit atm. And your work, along with the other guys who made the blueprints and some of the other threads on this forum, is just invaluable.

And yes I know... It would probably be easier to build a Falcon from scratch, than trying to correct the old mpc. And I will... One day... Not studioscale but I'll build one from scratch... One of these days.

Thank for sharing and inspirering us.
Thank you kindly. The MPC can still be made into a goodly replica with basic mods.
A good kit to hone your skills for an eventual scratch build.

Hey Stu, sorry to be a pain in the butt.. but... I'm hanging out for another 'Falcon vid-fix, man!
Doesn't have to be an update on progress or anything, just love the camera panning in close up over those gorgeous details and hearing you bang on about it.. always makes my day.
.. in your own time though, just kidding around ;)

Great comment David3.

Love all eagle1 videos & pictures. Almost seems like cheating when it comes to zooming in on picture grabs and using them to validate orientation of tiny McLaren parts. Next best thing to a Falcon Google Earth. Foggy original Studio Scale pictures and maps can be hard on old eyes. Seems easy to get lost or distracted when searching parts bags for puzzle pieces. Reminds me of the lost pigmy tribe joke. No offense meant, just a fact.

Love it. Love it. Love it!

At 8:09 there's a nice peek 'straight down' into one of the more complex mandible pits, and it looks flawless.

Love the research and attention to detail on just precisely how/where ILM did the original cockpit tube insert -- that's tricky stuff, but you seem to have figured it out with the old "eagle1 eye" -- nice work!!

What OD was the inner grey Plastruct tube? Was it 5-3/4, and does that "fit" that snugly inside the 6" tube? Or do they have a size between 5.75" and 6.0" Or did you order a custom dimension? That part also impressed me.

Love it. Love it. Love it!

At 8:09 there's a nice peek 'straight down' into one of the more complex mandible pits, and it looks flawless.

Love the research and attention to detail on just precisely how/where ILM did the original cockpit tube insert -- that's tricky stuff, but you seem to have figured it out with the old "eagle1 eye" -- nice work!!

What OD was the inner grey Plastruct tube? Was it 5-3/4, and does that "fit" that snugly inside the 6" tube? Or do they have a size between 5.75" and 6.0" Or did you order a custom dimension? That part also impressed me.
Read, thanks so much.
So just to make it clear, my interior will match the ILM miniature as best as I can get it, but everything behind the back wall is my own take on what i wanted it to be. The ILM rear was quite different. Mine i wanted a nice slide in & out assembly as a complete module.
So of course the main tube is 6" outer diameter & the next size down is the 5 3/4". But the outer diameter of the 5 3/4 isn't at all a close fit to the 6" inner diameter!. So...what i did was take a length of 6" tube, cut to the length i wanted it to slide in & made a few 3mm styrene discs for each end, cut the tube to open it up, wrapped it around a disc to see how much to remove to make the new diameter. There is enough 'flex' in the 6" tube to make a smaller diameter, but there is a limit before the memory of it says nope...i can't go THAT small, but this worked perfectly.
So i ended up with a pleasingly snug fit of the the module.

I love styrene work. You can make anything from this medium, its so versatile & forgiving in fabrication techniques. With the super glue & baking soda welds these structures are tough & can handle quite alot of manhandling.

Unbelievable!

Its funny how you look at something over and over and then all of a sudden the penny drops.
Actually it's disturbing, but that's by the by....

Regarding the 5-6mm wide angled strip that sits behind the cockpit. I have often thought it weird that this piece of plating at the bottom appears on an angle, whilst the upper strip is noticeably straight. I figured it was just some wonky building by ILM to add character to this beat up ship.

Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 1.00.16 pm.png

Stu, whilst you didn't really mention it in your video I figured that you likely already know this, however I had no clue....

It just dawned on me that the visible angle strip piece is what remains of the back of the famously removed cockpit rear cone as it was mounted to the original ILM pirate ship which later became the Tantive or Blockade Runner.

26112222_10156038154753156_6046040238346009332_n-1.jpeg

They simply cut it 5-6mm (shy of 1/4") behind the front cone. Likely at a diameter to ease joining with the 6" plastruct cockpit tube.
Or it could simply be where they wanted to join the new cockpit for the BRunner.

Thinking this may also add some credibility to the old tale of the cockpit cone being intended to be rotated during filming but was dropped due to the complexity it would have added.

Awesome to see that T2sides has also incorporated this detail on his spectacular model. I just checked :p

Thanks again for the excellent video!

That is a genius discovery, Bjorn -- "hiding in plain sight" all along, and I also never noticed it until you guys pointed it out.

Unbelievable!

Its funny how you look at something over and over and then all of a sudden the penny drops.
Actually it's disturbing, but that's by the by....

Regarding the 5-6mm wide angled strip that sits behind the cockpit. I have often thought it weird that this piece of plating at the bottom appears on an angle, whilst the upper strip is noticeably straight. I figured it was just some wonky building by ILM to add character to this beat up ship.

View attachment 1593983

Stu, whilst you didn't really mention it in your video I figured that you likely already know this, however I had no clue....

It just dawned on me that the visible angle strip piece is what remains of the back of the famously removed cockpit rear cone as it was mounted to the original ILM pirate ship which later became the Tantive or Blockade Runner.

View attachment 1593975

They simply cut it 5-6mm (shy of 1/4") behind the front cone. Likely at a diameter to ease joining with the 6" plastruct cockpit tube.
Or it could simply be where they wanted to join the new cockpit for the BRunner.

Thinking this may also add some credibility to the old tale of the cockpit cone being intended to be rotated during filming but was dropped due to the complexity it would have added.

Awesome to see that T2sides has also incorporated this detail on his spectacular model. I just checked :p

Thanks again for the excellent video!
Wonderful forensic work on par with Baden & Lee.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back