Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Unbelievable!

Its funny how you look at something over and over and then all of a sudden the penny drops.
Actually it's disturbing, but that's by the by....

Regarding the 5-6mm wide angled strip that sits behind the cockpit. I have often thought it weird that this piece of plating at the bottom appears on an angle, whilst the upper strip is noticeably straight. I figured it was just some wonky building by ILM to add character to this beat up ship.

View attachment 1593983

Stu, whilst you didn't really mention it in your video I figured that you likely already know this, however I had no clue....

It just dawned on me that the visible angle strip piece is what remains of the back of the famously removed cockpit rear cone as it was mounted to the original ILM pirate ship which later became the Tantive or Blockade Runner.

View attachment 1593975

They simply cut it 5-6mm (shy of 1/4") behind the front cone. Likely at a diameter to ease joining with the 6" plastruct cockpit tube.
Or it could simply be where they wanted to join the new cockpit for the BRunner.

Thinking this may also add some credibility to the old tale of the cockpit cone being intended to be rotated during filming but was dropped due to the complexity it would have added.

Awesome to see that T2sides has also incorporated this detail on his spectacular model. I just checked :p

Thanks again for the excellent video!
So the cockpit is quite a complex assembly to match the actual miniature.
The miniatures back wall of which the interior is attached to is a solid acrylic machined part that is basically a plug that inserts into the 6" tube. There is a machined hole in the middle for the fan to sit, which helped to cool the cockpits lighting.
The 5 to 6mm strip that sits behind the cockpit cone is not a separate part...its machined as part of the acrylic plug, so in essence its all one part.
I am pretty sure this acrylic plug also attached to a slide in tube as I have done.

Mine is an interpretation of this, but ultimately the look is the same, just different materials & techniques.

Stu

Hey guys!.
A few pics of me working around the Falcons rear end & what a complicated rear end she has!.
Nearly finished up the engine petal strips top & bottom. Gets repetitive here in that there are 26 styrene plates, 26 M8 plough blades & 26 struts to add. I'm finding going back to this area in intervals works best for me, while working on other others, keeps the interest levels up & not bogged down on one set area for long.

The dome sets i have had to reorganise with another fabricator for some of you, this has been a real, lets say 'challenge' to get right in how i envisioned them, but they will be delivered to all who ordered them.

Cheers
StuView attachment 1549350View attachment 1549351View attachment 1549352View attachment 1549353
The dome sets i have had to reorganise with another fabricator for some of you, this has been a real, lets say 'challenge' to get right in how i envisioned them, but they will be delivered to all who ordered them.
What's happening with the domes Stu? I'm still waiting, almost been two years since I paid for them!
You seem to be ignoring the emails I've sent you asking when I can expect to receive them?

Hi guys. Been a while with updates here, but here's a few pics & details. Had a major health scare which threw me for a while, but getting back into things again.

So I have been working on the docking rings. I mostly finished up the portside docking ring with plating & kit parts, one or two parts to add still, but glad that's done, the plating is fiddly to get right, but then again...everything is!.
Working on the starboard side docking ring vertical wall plating & side plates, adding the damaged areas with the melting & dremeling. Its difficult to match the outer ring plating segment lines to the vertical wall plating, with all the notches matching. The side plates were heat bent as well to better reflect the fit & what ILM did to add damage.
20221121_144512.jpg
20221121_135404.jpg
20221120_171158.jpg
20221120_171120.jpg
20221109_092920.jpg
20221109_092906.jpg
20221106_142641.jpg
20221106_142704.jpg
20221106_151550.jpg

Last edited:
eagle1,
Great to see your back in action. Incredible detail work on the docking ring plating. A little “Insanity” is needed to achieve, to the degree you have, the alignment in segment lines, notches and flak damage. Pictures of what you have done are superb as always. I shamelessly use these to improve my build’s accuracy.

Thank you guys for the kind comments.
A wee update showing the cockpit outside detailing going on. A few more parts to add & the underside hole damage to do & add the damaged styrene plating, looking forward to that.
The 'Panther' strips are a real challenge to fit & sit to pretty match the ref. Even then with checking & rechecking & dry fitting, when it comes to glueing you only get one shot to put them in place over the coolshade. I spray kicker over the assembly & fit the strips & that's it...no pulling off ever again, as they stay where they were laid. Pretty happy overall, but no replica is going to be 100% to the original.
Hats off to Lee & Sean for doing wonderful work on their cockpits...I now know the pain!.

20221202_151019.jpg
20221202_150529.jpg
20221202_151000.jpg
20221205_151220.jpg
20221205_151140.jpg

Last edited:
Mind boggling project Bjorn...mind bogglingo_Oo_O:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:...so much so that I still cannot wrap my head around the different challenges this model is throwing at you almost everyday! Not for the faint of heart for sure!!

Cheers guys, appreciated as always.
I do hope my progress pics show the process & help budding Falcon builders see what is involved & I'm not boring the heck out of everyone.
So, some of you will know the history I have with this particular section, meaning the cockpit tube size & the workings out of the Panther strips to the 9 holes & other details.
I did a schematic years ago now, which is below, of this section. Took me an age to work out & still is very good. My main argument at the time, was that the tube size was 5 3/4". This size worked for me & I thought yes that's correct, but of course 6" is now definately the correct size, which mine is on the build. The schematic strangely enough still works for the 6" tube.

So for me personally, finally emptying the parts bags for this section & laying down the parts, was quite the moment & seeing them finally in place was like a 'yes' moment in time.
But like I said, it's one thing to plan & plan. When it comes to the actual putting down the parts & aligning everything up to match the reference, well that's another ball game altogether. I'm happy with the results though, it's darn close to the original & nothing was compromised.
I'll show more on finishing up this section with the plating & damage very soon.

Now...where's my butane lighter...
20221206_093107.jpg

Boring?o_Oo_O:eek::eek: Did you write the word boring to describe you build??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely NOT! :cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
How can it be? The amount of time you spent and will spend on that wonderful iconic model is nothing compared to the amount of time we'll gaze at your fantastic work/pics! As you have said in your last update and discovered along the way, is that the theory (planning, drawing, measuring) is, sometimes, not matching the reality...and that makes this project Uber difficult, in the first place, not counting the crazy amount of kits you have to collect/buy along the years...that ain't boring in my book!

Boring?o_Oo_O:eek::eek: Did you write the word boring to describe you build??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely NOT! :cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
How can it be? The amount of time you spent and will spend on that wonderful iconic model is nothing compared to the amount of time we'll gaze at your fantastic work/pics! As you have said in your last update and discovered along the way, is that the theory (planning, drawing, measuring) is, sometimes, not matching the reality...and that makes this project Uber difficult, in the first place, not counting the crazy amount of kits you have to collect/buy along the years...that ain't boring in my book!
Joberg, thank you so much for your words & thoughts. I guess the updates I do post here are helpful & a documention of just the sheer effort that goes into what it takes to build the Falcon. I'm building it with old school techniques, which is me & my way to realise this iconic miniature.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back