Building an Aliens Motion Tracker - need some help

Indeed the props are different. It could be that Master Replicas got hold of a screen used tracker with black rotary knob and just copied it... afterall we've only seen two until now and both different from each other (one in the screengrabs and this one from production pictures).

Probably the MTs in the film had all sorts of rotary knobs, however the ones I've seen till now (except the replicas) appear to be metallic silver. I'm trying to go for something like that.

It's safe to assume that they belong to a hi-fi stereo or something similar... other than that I don't know which other appliances had silver rotary knobs.

As far as I know, Kango shut down and was absorbed by another company. You don't find Kango tools in shops anymore. But I'm interested to know what you can find.

Yeah I saw that online. I have several good friends that are in the construction industry and I am just going to ask around and see what I find out. I have seen 2 at rental places already but they are still renting them. Would be a good items to cast or Vacuum form maybe for others. Esp. if you can make them at a reasonable price for others.

I have no time nor skills to do something like this but I agree a mass-produced vacum-cast of the drill body would be great but I can tell you this... that drill body is a son of a ****! I have one and you have no idea how many parts it is made of... and weird shapes too, points, corners... all intersecting and kept together by giant screws (the handle mostly). It would be mad to reproduce these pieces one by one and hope that they will fit together properly... however a whole body made by two parts only would be great.

I'll look into casting, if it's easy I might give it a try. I know there are many experts around here, maybe somebody could give me a hand or some hints. I've seen some silicon casting which SEEM to be easy (at least from youtube videos lol)

that't the reason i never made molds of my kango. Really complicated, lots of parts, real timeconsuming to cast and 90% of the people would ***** about the pricetag that would come with a kit like that.

that't the reason i never made molds of my kango. Really complicated, lots of parts, real timeconsuming to cast and 90% of the people would ***** about the pricetag that would come with a kit like that.

makes sense , i haven't seen one in person so i didn't know. That really stinks.

Got some new items.

The Hama/Tiffen Self Timer with box

TiffenSelfTimer650euro.jpg

And the pressure gauge/pump widget. Got this one from a RPF member, thanks mate :thumbsup!

PressureGauge.jpg

The Olympus T28 calculating card. Never realized it was that small.

OlympusT28Calculatingplate.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 4 part casting of the drill that I bought in the Junkyard 2 years ago. It's rough and going to need a lot of work, but at least someone was able to make one. I have no ideas of it's origins unfortunately.

All I need to start my tracker is a Kango and have had no luck

( lucky for me I'm not a stickler for screen accuracy :lol )

so I've been able to find a few close enough look alike drills that should do nicely

Does anyone know what screen was actually used for the working tracker in the film? I know that the CTR was too long at the time so they could only do close-up/frontal shots of it, but has it ever been identified?
(I guess it might be some camera viewfinder?)

Does anyone know what screen was actually used for the working tracker in the film? I know that the CTR was too long at the time so they could only do close-up/frontal shots of it, but has it ever been identified?
(I guess it might be some camera viewfinder?)

I'm guessing it was a monitor from a steadycam, but that's just a logical guess.

Just bought this Kango 327. I think it's almost identical to the 426. The only difference, from what I can tell, is the on/off button.
So to all you guys who are looking for a 426, you can now look for the 327 as well.

Here are some pictures of the 327

Oh, and about the Hilti drills, I have one at home (I work in construction), but they're too expensive for this prop, and they look different of course.

_DSC8160_resize.jpg

_DSC8158_resize.jpg

_DSC8159_resize.jpg

_DSC8161_resize.jpg

_DSC8162_resize.jpg

Very neat!

Yeah there is no difference between the two models. The on off button seems to change a lot, I've seen that kind also on 426 models.

Did some checking on the paint. It seems Brown Bess (Humbrol 170) is very hard to find so here are some other colors VERY similar to Brown Bess.
-RAL 7013
-Revell 046 Nato Olive Matt

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back