Building a 4ft foam AT-AT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by familyman, Mar 20, 2015.

1. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Long time no posting, but I am back to share a new build I am working on. A 4ft AT-AT out of foam. I think it will be 4ft, the head is about 1 ft and looking at pictures the head seams to be 1/4 of the total length of the AT-AT.
    Here is what I have so far. A3.jpg A1.JPG
    DSCF5400.JPG DSCF5411.JPG DSCF5416.JPG DSCF5418.JPG DSCF5420.JPG DSCF5421.JPG DSCF5423.JPG DSCF5424.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    DarthDerf, stromo, MAAZ and 4 others like this.
  2. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You never cease to amaze me. Good luck on an awesome build.

3. jkno

jkno Master Member

This is going to be a fun project!! :thumbsup

4. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Spent another 3 hours this morning working on more of the details. It is a real pain doing all the small lines and cutting and gluing the raised sections, but it is so worth it.
    DSCF5429.JPG DSCF5433.JPG DSCF5435.JPG DSCF5437.JPG DSCF5438.JPG

I did a quick grey scale to one of the pictures to see what it will look like once painted.
    Touchup.jpg

5. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

I did a quick grey scale to one of the pictures to see what it will look like once painted.
    View attachment 454131 [/QUOTE]
    No leave it, urban camo AT-AT FTW!

mugatu and familyman like this.
  6. Snow Builder

Snow Builder Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So glad you're back! Subscribed and eagerly awaiting your next post.

familyman likes this.
  7. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Wow. That looks really great.
    The third picture made me laugh

familyman likes this.
  8. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thanks. Good to be back posting. I have still been building non stop, but busy on my facebook page, with over 2550 followers I have had to keep them all interested. I have been building some transformers statues. DSCF5359.JPG 10470596_849859305080243_145736334068911312_n.jpg

9. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Spent over 5 hours working on the chin guns. here is what I have so far. I need to do a little bit more detail to not only the guns but the underside of the head. DSCF5440.JPG DSCF5443.JPG DSCF5445.JPG DSCF5447.JPG DSCF5448.JPG DSCF5450.JPG DSCF5451.JPG

stromo likes this.
  10. QCWolf

QCWolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! That's cool. Nice work.

11. Prototypical

Prototypical Active Member

How come every time I see this thread I think of this

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    WhillB likes this.
  12. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Very interesting. I never thought that foam could be used to create this. Everyone should call you the "Foam King" but I think that nickname is taken. :lol

TazMan2000

familyman likes this.
  13. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. Simply blown away by the skill and patience. Patience IS a skill isn't it?
    Seriously though, incredible job. I can't wait to see more.

familyman likes this.
  14. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Is DEFINATELY is a skill...a skill I am missing ;)

Great job so far, keep the pics coming!!!

Markus

15. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thank you. Here is another update. Side guns finished. DSCF5461.JPG DSCF5460.JPG DSCF5466.JPG DSCF5465.JPG DSCF5464.JPG DSCF5462.JPG

16. Mr Danger

Mr Danger New Member

Wow, that's going to be great! I have to try foam too. I'm a graphic designer and metal- and wood work is not really my thing. I've made my stuff mostly from cardboard and Kapa board, but that foam seems like a fun material. I bet you can't wait till you get to paint it! I had a lot of ideas for my cardboard AT-AT before i settled for a more traditional style : ) This was a weekend build with my kids. AT-AT Klaus1.jpg AT-AT Klaus2.jpg AT-AT Klaus3.jpg

mugatu likes this.
  17. vintageslant

vintageslant Active Member

Is that a probe droid behind the AT-AT's? Oh no my bad its imperial bongos :lol

18. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Impressive work.

I assume the 4ft size is an attempt to match the scale of the SW action figures?

familyman likes this.
  19. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thank you, Actually I just started making the head with no intentions of it being scalable to the figures, just by luck it seems to be about right though. If I do another one I may add an interior.

20. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Been busy building, here are the latest lot of pictures. I have been really enjoying this build. To get the small raised details I am simply dropping a little bit of superglue on the foam and then using tweezers or the thin point of my knife I am placing the tiny pieces of foam in position and then gently pressing them down a little bit to. For the engraved details I am drawing the lines and then cutting them slightly once I have done that I then heat up the foam and this causes the cut lines to separate and widen. I did a video of this technique here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o70x9s5kpg . I will be putting a piece of wood underneath in order for me to screw the thin inner leg supports to, also I will be attaching another piece of wood to this board and that will go through the neck and support the head.

Attached Files:

Randy13, Nick K and SofaKing01 like this.
  21. mugatu

Familyman, I like your style. That's all I've got to say. The butt end of that AT-AT...I can't believe you cut all of that out of foam.

familyman likes this.
  22. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another awesome build in the works! Love all the small details you are putting into this thing :)

23. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

The details are amazing! :)

24. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thank you..

Here are some more pictures.
    I legs have a metal rod going all the way through them to help support the weight, (simple foam legs would of bent). The feet will have a block of wood inside them to support the metal rods in the legs. I placed a piece of wood on top of each of the metal rods and this will allow me to screw the legs into the underneath of the body. DSCF5519.JPG DSCF5514.JPG DSCF5520.JPG DSCF5521.JPG DSCF5531.JPG DSCF5533.JPG

25. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Started working on the feet this weekend. footsize.jpg DSCF5546.JPG DSCF5545.JPG DSCF5561.JPG DSCF5559.JPG DSCF5558.JPG DSCF5560.JPG

mugatu and tubachris85x like this.
  26. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Awesome build ... and I love that the AT-AT driver is keeping a keen eye on your progress :)

Chaim

27. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Some more updates.
    I have been brainstorming a lot this past week trying to figure out how to support the legs, I was tempted to screw the top of the legs into the underbelly for stability, but I decided I first wanted to try and make this as accurate a possible, so I have made the extra piece that the legs fix in to and then I will screw all of that in to the underbelly. I am a little worried about the stability of the whole thing, but I will see how it goes and if it doesn't look like it will work then I will just go back to the more stable way. The feet have a block of wood all the way through them I did this because I may screw the feet down on to a piece of board and then decorate the board to look like terrain. I am using ABS pipe to join the front legs together and the back legs and I will be * then into the underbelly, They will not be glued because I want to be able to remove them for transporting and storage. I like to use ABS pipe because it is strong, easy to cut and light weight. for supports in the hip area I have used metal shelving strips, they already have holes to screw through and are really strong, plus they are pretty easy to cut. Here is what I have so far. DSCF5560.JPG DSCF5612.JPG DSCF5613.JPG DSCF5614.JPG DSCF5617.JPG DSCF5618.JPG DSCF5619.JPG

Blue Leader and Nick K like this.
  28. familyman

familyman Sr Member

First ankle almost done. DSCF5620.JPG DSCF5621.JPG

29. Snow Builder

Snow Builder Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great update, looks outstandingly good.

30. Strontiumdoguk

Strontiumdoguk Member

Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31. familyman

familyman Sr Member

All the Ankles are now done, and most of the details on the legs is finished. I still need to do make the support rods for the feet.
    I raided my daughters bead bucket for some good sized beads to use as bolts. DSCF5620.JPG DSCF5621.JPG DSCF5632.JPG DSCF5633.JPG DSCF5637.JPG DSCF5650.JPG DSCF5651.JPG

SofaKing01 likes this.
  32. Rayul

Rayul New Member

Simply beautiful

33. mugatu

I can't wait to see this completed.

34. familyman

familyman Sr Member

It stands!. The legs are not screwed in perfectly just yet, They are just held in with small screws. I did this so I could get the spacing right, now I know where everything fits I will work on the underbelly and then the legs will be bolted on in a way that I can remove them for storage and traveling. I still need to do the foot supports and a base for it to stand on as well. And once all that is done I can finally paint it so it no longer looks like it belongs in the 60's. These photos show just how big it is, the toy AT-AT next to it is the new "larger" scale AT-AT Hasbro released a few years ago.
    DSCF5663.JPG DSCF5662.JPG DSCF5660.JPG DSCF5664.JPG DSCF5665.JPG DSCF5666.JPG DSCF5670.JPG DSCF5671.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....1073741882.337054186360760&type=3&uploaded=8

jkno and Luke the Belter like this.
  35. Vince

Vince Active Member

Oh wow, that is insanely cool. Incredible use of foam as a medium. And you're right it does look like it's straight outta the 60's, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Walker hahaha

36. SupaTrooper

SupaTrooper Member

Love the colour combination don't paint it. Just build another. ..lol great work mate

37. Tyranneix

Tyranneix New Member

I love this. Awesome work!

38. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

Super awesome build. I love the scale to the figures. I have one question though? Will there be an interior?

39. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thanks, No there will not be an interior on this one. Maybe next time.

40. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

Ok, just wondering. Still, amazing build. Love it.

41. DizzyStrmtroopr

DizzyStrmtroopr Well-Known Member

have you made templates or are you just eyeballing it? looking forward to seeing it all painted up!

42. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of foam work or the AT-AT...but you work is excellent and it looks awesome;)

43. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thanks guys. I have few templates that I made by hand and some of the pieces I just eyeball.

44. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Here are a few more shots. I may be building another one once I finish this one. I am currently in talks with a company about leaving this one unpainted.
    2.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

45. Sith4Life

Sith4Life Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sick work im blown away what u can do with foam!

46. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is amazing.

47. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Love this. Has turned out so great.

48. familyman

familyman Sr Member

Thank you everyone, glad you like it.

49. SupaTrooper

SupaTrooper Member

Hope to see this displayed at celebration London next year !

50. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One down, 5 to go :p