Budget Nostromo crew uniform

foldart

I'm assembling a low-bucks Nostromo crew uniform, starting with these pants: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q9ZU7XA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They're not screen-accurate, of course, but pretty good for an off-the-shelf item.

They arrived yesterday. The good news is: they're heavy soft cotton, fit well, feel comfortable, look good (IMHO), and appear to be decent quality. The bad news is: they're way darker than the sample photo. I think I'll have to lighten them, possibly with bleach or white Rit. What are you thoughts on either of those methods? Or do you have other suggestions? Is bleach likely to weaken this cotton fabric?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Answering my own post . . . .

After a bit of research, I find there are more options, e.g. Synthrapol and Carbona Color Run Remover. Most methods prefer hot water, which I suspect is likely to shrink this fabric, so I think I'll try the obvious: bleach.

Any last-minute warnings? ("No, you fool! No!")

If it's 100% cotton, then bleach should work. Don't over do it as it can damage the fabric. But you should be fine. I know Rit has a dye remover, but I've never tried it.

Here's the current state:

MaskCostume_01d.jpg

Needs a few details, obviously.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back