BTTF hoverboard dimensions help

Bogeyman

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a 1:1 BTTF hoverboard and I was hoping to have some help from the BTTF experts here.

My plan would be to build the hoverboard for display and having it actually levitating on the display base building a magnetic levitation system on the display base in a similar way as is the levitating Delorean from Kids Logic. The idea would be to have two magnetic levitation system (which I still have to figure out how to build but I am studying and watching other levitating display systems) aligned with the two levitating plates of the hoverboard.
I know it will be quite a difficult project especially on the levitating side but I do not have any time limit and I am doing mainly for myself and to see if I am capable to do it.

Now to the actual question, I am having quite an hard time to find accurate dimensions for the hoverboard, there seems to be dimensions spread everywhere with quite big differences probably because some of them are maybe not for 1:1 but other scales.

Does any of you know how or where to find accurate dimension for length, width and thickness for it? It would be great to also know what is the angle at which the tail tilt (I have seen somewhere saying 22deg and somewhere else 25deg but I don't know which one is correct if any of the two).
Dimensions for the battery box, levitating plates etc would be of course a bonus.

I intend to 3D model in Fusion 360 the whole thing so then I can study how to integrate the levitation for the display.

Thank you very much in advance to everyone for any help.

Andrea

Hi everyone,

I am planning to build a 1:1 BTTF hoverboard and I was hoping to have some help from the BTTF experts here.

My plan would be to build the hoverboard for display and having it actually levitating on the display base building a magnetic levitation system on the display base in a similar way as is the levitating Delorean from Kids Logic. The idea would be to have two magnetic levitation system (which I still have to figure out how to build but I am studying and watching other levitating display systems) aligned with the two levitating plates of the hoverboard.
I know it will be quite a difficult project especially on the levitating side but I do not have any time limit and I am doing mainly for myself and to see if I am capable to do it.

Now to the actual question, I am having quite an hard time to find accurate dimensions for the hoverboard, there seems to be dimensions spread everywhere with quite big differences probably because some of them are maybe not for 1:1 but other scales.

Does any of you know how or where to find accurate dimension for length, width and thickness for it? It would be great to also know what is the angle at which the tail tilt (I have seen somewhere saying 22deg and somewhere else 25deg but I don't know which one is correct if any of the two).
Dimensions for the battery box, levitating plates etc would be of course a bonus.

I intend to 3D model in Fusion 360 the whole thing so then I can study how to integrate the levitation for the display.

Thank you very much in advance to everyone for any help.

Andrea
I found this here a while back. Personally, I just scale this to whatever size I want. Currently, I use ~8"x28" so I can print out the templates on single-width sheets. 6"x1/2" pizza pans work as the discs. YMMV. HTH.

Attachments

• HB_Layout_1.jpg
    HB_Layout_1.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 331
Hi ElectroDFW,

THanks for your reply. I have found the same plans and then I also found an old thread here on the RPF (BTTF2 hoverboard plans and graphics) where GeneralFrosty confirms that the original measures are 8"x28"x1" as you were saying, and (in the same thread) that the chamfer around the hoverboard is of two different dimensions (one dimension for the chamfer on top and the chamfer on the bottom is a bit bigger but no actual measurements unfortunately).

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has some more accurate measurements for the rest of the hoverboard parts.

At the moment I am using the same plan you posted and scaled the width to 8" (I'm actually working in metric system so I am kind of rounding up a tiny bit the inches measurements around +/- 1mm :p). For the other parts right now I will probably just use the scaled plan to try and understand/guess the dimensions for the levitation plates, battery box etc.
Below are few quick snapshot of my model in Fusion360 that I did yesterday in about an hour.

1634989566924.png
1634989865561.png

1634990017749.png

Width is 241mm (~8"), length with the tail bent (not as a flat board) is 711.5mm (~28"), mid flat section in the thickness is 10mm (not considering the fillets I modelled there), top chamfer is 7.5x10mm and the bottom chamfer is 7.5x15mm. About the fillets I have a 3mm radius fillet all around the board and 8mm radius fillet for the two corners at the end of the tail.

Once I have the levitation plate etc. made (which I will try with your measurements as well to see how they look) I will post some more pics here.

I whish it was possible to have some more help on the accurate measurements for all the parts from some of the BTTF master experts and geniuses here on the forum.

Anyway thank you very much ElectroDFW

Correction:
the width is 203mm (~8") and not 241mm which was when I first tried to model it according to that plan that says 9.5" and it looked too wide :)

Add half an inch to the length and you have the correct dimensions. It's 8" x 28.5" x 1". ;)
Hi Roland,

Thank you very much for your help. Do you happen to know what would be the dimension of the levitation plates as well or would you confirm as Electro DFW said the 6"x1/2"?
At the moment using the plan shared from ElectroDFW and scaled to 8" wide the levitation plate are about 164mm diameter (~6.5")

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well and safe.

Here is some update on the 3D model of the BTTF2 hoverboard between renderings and screenshots.

Screenshot 2021-11-17 104525.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-17 104416.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-17 104603.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-17 104700.jpg

BTTF hoverboard V1 v23.jpg

BTTF_hoverboard_V1_2021-Nov-17_10-18-37AM-000_CustomizedView4508535128.jpg

It is the main body with levitating plates etc. I know there are still a couple of things missing like the hole for the handle in the front and the back pad with velcro strip at the back.

The plan now is to start studying how to make the levitation system for display, meaning how to set up the magnets in the levitating plates and then how to set up the electromagnets with hall sensors in the base to make it all work. I will probably start 3D printing the hoverboard parts as they are now to have an idea of how it look and feel.

Please any suggestion or advice from the BTTF experts or anyone else here is more than welcome, I will post later a more detailed list of the size I am currently using for al the parts (board, lev plates, battery pack, etc.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back