Bridge to Terabithia, what did I just see?

Will never see this movie as I remember so vividly how much I hated the "surprising twist" when I read it. Same thing with "A Dog Called Kitty"......
Sure kids have to sometime learn the harsh realities of life and deal with the fact that there are sometimes freak accidents that take away loved ones, but geeze, children's books is not the place IMO.

Shylaah

Sure kids have to sometime learn the harsh realities of life and deal with the fact that there are sometimes freak accidents that take away loved ones, but geeze, children's books is not the place IMO.
Yea, I know. Every single book we had to read in 5th grade was about someone dying or getting maimed. The theme became so obvious that by half way through the year whenever the teacher passed out a new book someone would ask, "Who dies in this one?".
Is 9 years old really the time in life to confront and accept your impending mortality?

Didn't Disney also turn Tuck Everlasting into a movie? That's another book we read in elementary school, but I haven't seen the movie yet.

You're right, they adapted that one too. I remember going to see it back in middle school. Not everything was copied from the book, but overall a decent adaptation.

Yes, you are correct. As quoted by wikipedia" Paterson, the novel's author, drew inspiration for the novel from a real event that occurred in August 1974 when a friend of Paterson's son was struck by lightning and killed."

The book was published in 1977. I still remember the book report that I had to do for it.

Lol. Know what that boy ended up doing for a living 30 odd years later...?

The way the trailer portrayed the film to be was not how the film turned out at all. It was all them playing pretend until the very end when you see their visualization.

Wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't exactly the way it appeared to be in the previews. I didn't read the book so I didn't know what I was getting into. Definitely a bit of a depressing movie.

I really liked this movie too. Full of nice, quirky, character touches. The scene in the classroom... was it animated bubbles that start to rise in the air?

Yeah, now that little detail was what first threw me. How she knew about being under the water, Then the shot of the boy emptying the paint into the river was also taken from below the water.

Strange POV I thought. Then I got it.

On a technical note, I would have loved them to have used coloured dye in that scene instead of paint , it's more transparent, and also for them to have sunlight filtering through. It could have been a magical shot, but then again... it was a grey moment and the budget was small.

Last edited:
That was unexpected. I watched it this afternoon at work, and was really thrown by the 'twist.'

Great character development and story, but nothing what I expected it to be.

That was unexpected. I watched it this afternoon at work, and was really thrown by the 'twist.'

Great character development and story, but nothing what I expected it to be.

7548-bridge.jpg

Yeah, it was really something huh.
On the face of it, it seems like a simple story, but as you think about it you see that it's got more layers than Blade Runner.

Normally I woud resent the false representation on the DVD cover and the tone of the majority of the film, but in this case I see it's done for the right reason. It needed to be set up that way in order to drop the viewer down a hole at just the right second. So well done.

Last edited:
We watch a lot of "kids" films since I have 5yr old twins. I was thinking it was going to be a happy movie and then whammo. Not letting them see this for a while.

We watch a lot of "kids" films since I have 5yr old twins. I was thinking it was going to be a happy movie and then whammo. Not letting them see this for a while.
Yeah, I figured this movie would be a prime candidate for the 6 y/o nephew and maybe for the younger nieces to watch perpheriarily (?).

Not sure about that now. Was expecting more Narnia and less serious drama.

I'm glad I saw it, it was a very solid movie... just not what I expected.

Yep, I know what you mean, I always wonder what people are thinking by introducing adult themes into kids films. Basically you remove your product from both markets. Too childish for adults and too serious for kids?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back