Limited Run Breaking Bad WALTER WHITE GLASSES by Magnoli Clothiers

00967A1C-8B40-4D85-91E0-3D36B7411053.jpeg

B2A35389-57B7-4F85-B8A3-82D92C25ED72.jpeg
3E5B1BFF-5BA3-4AFF-9047-1E3998FB54AB.jpeg

9DBC7B3A-3EA9-43B5-8B88-34165D7022F0.jpeg
Great work as always, Indy! Also: thanks so much to JEM, squidman and others for helping to make these as close as they are. I’ve waited a long time to have this in my collection!

Squidman's excited for DHL to arrive and wrote to ask for a more detailed review; I figured Indy deserves to have it shared here as well:

I think what we all came to in the thread holds true in practice: These are as close as they were ever gonna get without a genuine pair to reference, with any limitations from Indy's manufacturer, and at such an affordable price point. Really, really fantastic work. I think these may not have *quite* the puppy dog droop of the show's glasses, but I also suspect that those frames may have been bent and re-bent over their lifetime - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that these are about where the production pair started. It's probably 95-98% droopy compared to the production glasses, and it'd be easy enough to bend more in or twist the arms out of perfect alignment to better match Walt's funky pair.

You may have seen that our own Art & Kristen Andrews purchased the stunt production pair which has been referenced in these threads. They also plan to pick a couple of these up - maybe they'll treat us to a comparison shot or two! The color may be impossible to confirm by comparing these to pair, due to age and the condition of the plating on those originals. The profile and measurements will be very interesting to compare!

I think you will be VERY happy when they arrive.

One interesting thing to note in that first image: Clearly, they're not sitting in bright lighting here, but on the left side the warmer color is a reflection of incandescent lighting, and the neutral/white lighting on the right side is daylight from a window. I suspect these are more brassy in color than the screen-used glasses, but perhaps not by much, and I think the finish could dull to a really close color over time. That said, this image hints at how different the plating could look in different lighting (nevermind color-graded film/promotional images).

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

I received mine today and the replica glasses came out great! I can't describe how happy I am with them. Thank you so much Indy Magnoli for bringing these to life! :)

I believe the bronze color of the replica frame is correct. I do not notice a difference with my round aden frame. Lighting and angles easily make it seem like there is. Where I do notice a color difference is in the brown temple tips. They ended up being little darker on the replica, but I think that may be preferred since, also depending on the lighting, they look black – same as they do on the aden frame I have. The grooves on the outer rim of the replica frame also came out well. I didn't notice them so much on Westies14's photos, but they're visible.

Great work as always, Indy! Also: thanks so much to JEM, squidman and others for helping to make these as close as they are. I’ve waited a long time to have this in my collection!
I meant to post this when I liked your comment, but thank you for posting those photos. They made me that much more excited to receive mine lol

It won't matter anymore, but it's possible that the screen used frame could be even bigger than the size that was decided for the replica. I never brought up the next potential size I suspected, 56-21-142 (maybe 22-147), and 145 total front width because I just could not picture a frame that size fitting Bryan Cranston's face so well that it doesn't stick beyond his hairline on the sides – well enough that sometimes it even looks on the small side. Not as small as the 48-24 plastic frame he's wearing in breakingbadmrwhite's photo, but small enough that the only way I could make sense of it looking significantly smaller is that maybe a smaller frame was used. Glasses do tend to come in multiple sizes, after all. :\

If Mr. Art Andrews posts a photo, or dimensions, they can be found engraved on the inside of the bridge. There's even a number there that identifies the frame model.

It won't matter anymore, but it's possible that the screen used frame could be even bigger than the size that was decided for the replica. I never brought up the next potential size I suspected, 56-21-142 (maybe 22-147), and 145 total front width because I just could not picture a frame that size fitting Bryan Cranston's face so well that it doesn't stick beyond his hairline on the sides – well enough that sometimes it even looks on the small side. Not as small as the 48-24 plastic frame he's wearing in breakingbadmrwhite's photo, but small enough that the only way I could make sense of it looking significantly smaller is that maybe a smaller frame was used. Glasses do tend to come in multiple sizes, after all. :\

If Mr. Art Andrews posts a photo, or dimensions, they can be found engraved on the inside of the bridge. There's even a number there that identifies the frame model.

J EM, are you saying that Indy's replicas might be slightly undersized? What are you comparing them to that makes you think they might be?

We were very close on the frame sizes, though closer on the bridge on the next-to-last draft. The production glasses Art has are 54mm (eyes), 19mm (bridge). We once had 53/19 (damn close!) but landed at 53/21 (still, really close). Of course, we'll have to assume Art's pair is consistent with the hero pair. The prop dept would likely allow 1mm variations on the frames they liked best, knowing they were impossible to simply order in bulk at the exact same specs.

Indy, are these produced in one run? Have you ever sold enough pairs of a glasses replica to need to re-order - and, if so, are able to make adjustments to the plans at that time? If you ever make these again with a 1mm wider eye and 2mm narrower bridge, please let us know! I'd order more of 'em for sure. Until then, I'm beyond happy to have what we have. Thank you again for making it happen!

I'm still gonna say this was a great effort in coming so close on such an unknowable item. Nice work, fellas! And Art, thanks for letting this tidbit on your expensive production piece go public :)

Indy, are these produced in one run? Have you ever sold enough pairs of a glasses replica to need to re-order...

Our most popular frames (Murdock Sunglasses, Kingsman Glasses, etc) are made in several runs so future tweaks could be possible if the first run sells out. We do have other styles though (I'm looking at you Skyfall Sunglasses) that don't sell that well so when they do sell out, we'll likely just discontinue them. So, it all depends on how well they sell.

J EM, are you saying that Indy's replicas might be slightly undersized? What are you comparing them to that makes you think they might be?
Version 3 of the schematic (53mm and 21mm), which is what was last posted here, still wasn't correct when I was comparing multiple high resolution images through my method to determine the potential size. At the very last minute, I contacted Indy Magnoli to make the lens size 54 mm, and the bridge 20mm. The replica has those dimensions.

Initially, I was just comparing the photos of the weathered screen used frame and the season 1 poster, so I started comparing the highest resolution photos I had. There was a shirt button that I also used to help decide the 54mm size after comparing them through my method of scaling them, but because there was one photo with a bigger shirt button, it provided some confusion which made me speculate next potential size of the screen used frames. From that confusion, next potential size could have been 56mm lens size by 21mm bridge, but that was pondered too late, when the replica was already in production. Indy Magnoli's replica could have been undersized if the screen used frame was actually the bigger size. I just couldn't be sure at that point, and I had insufficient reference photos (with buttons, or any other thing I know the real life size of) to help confirm the bigger size. Good thing it isn't.

We were very close on the frame sizes, though closer on the bridge on the next-to-last draft. The production glasses Art has are 54mm (eyes), 19mm (bridge). We once had 53/19 (damn close!) but landed at 53/21 (still, really close). Of course, we'll have to assume Art's pair is consistent with the hero pair. The prop dept would likely allow 1mm variations on the frames they liked best, knowing they were impossible to simply order in bulk at the exact same specs.

Indy, are these produced in one run? Have you ever sold enough pairs of a glasses replica to need to re-order - and, if so, are able to make adjustments to the plans at that time? If you ever make these again with a 1mm wider eye and 2mm narrower bridge, please let us know! I'd order more of 'em for sure. Until then, I'm beyond happy to have what we have. Thank you again for making it happen!

I'm still gonna say this was a great effort in coming so close on such an unknowable item. Nice work, fellas! And Art, thanks for letting this tidbit on your expensive production piece go public :)
So the screen used Aden frame has a 54mm lens size and 19mm bridge? What a relief. The replica is only off by 1mm on the bridge!

Mr Art Andrews. I also want to thank you for disclosing the size. gives me peace of mind :)

Last edited:
Indy Magnoli, I received my glasses today, and they are absolutely gorgeous. Excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail, these really do replicate the screen-used pair so well. The color, shape, and materials of these look identical to the ones seen in stills from the series. I love how true-to-life the glasses are, too, they don't feel like "costume glasses" at all. I've never ordered from Magnoli Clothiers before, so the branded box, case, and cleaning cloth were all welcome surprises. Really top notch work. Thank you so much Indy Magnoli, J EM, Westies14, Hecubus114, and anyone else who helped along the way to make these as great as they turned out to be!

One more small thing to note, should these ever have the opportunity for slight revision in a 2nd run: the side shield hooks appear to be instead closed loops, attached to the arms at both ends rather than true hooks welded only at the back.

Another tiny point, of course - still loving these replicas :D

I'm still excited about them also lol. I saw many frames researching Walt's glasses, and I never found one with the simple look of Walt's. Glad I finally have a frame that's a very convincing replica of Walt's glasses. :D

One more small thing to note, should these ever have the opportunity for slight revision in a 2nd run: the side shield hooks appear to be instead closed loops, attached to the arms at both ends rather than true hooks welded only at the back.

We were all calling them hooks because we didn't really know what they were. Hilco calls them locking channels. They are closed "loops", and if your frame has them welded similar to this shape ¯U¯ on the inside of the temples, they're correct.

Just going to echo what Indy and J EM already said, Indy's replicas are correct in that the originals' "hooks" are definitely closed loops that are welded at both ends. See closeup series stills/promo pics and J EM's Aden frame pics for verification.

Speaking of which, J EM, how well do these replicas match with the Aden frames you own, in the parts that they have in common?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back