Braveheart full sized bust

Seems to have more a peak inthe middle, and is more "poofy".

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-001.jpg-34287d1284875242
braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-002.jpg-34288d1284875242

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-003.jpg-34289d1284875242

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-004.jpg-34290d1284875242

IMG_4359.jpg
[/IMG]

Thankkyou PHArchivist, that was a HUGE help, those pics are perfect. I see what you mean about the wig.I think if I cut it I can spike up the top, I didnt even think of that.

I still have to do more painting on the face, wrinkles and beard stubble , etc. And the arms

Thanks for your advice.

It's looking really good, nice work.

One thing I did notice is whilst comparing to the screen grabs, the blue face paint on Mel seems to have a very hand-applied look to it with rough and wavy edges in places, particularly on the neck. On yours, it seems a little too precise and perfect. That should be an easy fix though.

The redone eyes are a HUGE improvement!

Interesting piece. I think you need to redo the eyebrows. He currently looks sad or surprised/indifferent. Darkening the brows a bit - maybe trying to add real hair instead of painting it will help. Seems like you have them painted too high.

Also... caking up the blue paint appliance would also help. Just splosh it on there with crackle paint and then paint on top of that with the blue color to get some texture.

You may want a tad darker hue of blue for the eyes. And some with a bit more play in the colors.

Also perhaps try to get a more pinkish skin color rather than the orangy look it has now.

Doing the right hair will improve this greatly, but if you are having trouble with the face, you can always add cuts and bruises and battle damage. The later pictures look much better than the earlier ones... but the hair and eyes are the big oomph killer. You are on the right track.

It looks great but with a little tweaking of the wig, it will look a lot better.

thanks Travis!
Here are some updated pics, I took Howlrunners advice, trimmed down the eyebrows and redid the eyes. I couldnt get them out with out a major redo so I painted them, not as nice as glass but good enough for now till I get the courage to cut his head off,,lol. I also posed the arm with the fist, cut it, repositioned it and fiberglassed it back together, still have to do the other arn. I plan on putting a war hammer in his hand. The hair and braids are done too.
Apreciate any criticism, thanks for looking.
IMG_4359.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4361.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4362.jpg
[/IMG]
Seems to have more a peak inthe middle, and is more "poofy".

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-001.jpg-34287d1284875242
braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-002.jpg-34288d1284875242

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-003.jpg-34289d1284875242

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-004.jpg-34290d1284875242

IMG_4359.jpg
[/IMG]

You are on the right path and have made some really great improvements.

I'd also suggest that you 'rub off' some of the blue areas, so that you see some of the flesh color underneath. Make the paint app have that worn sort of look. Also, the blue face paint should not meet the hairline. Try repainting those areas fleshtone. You've done so on the figures left side of his face but I'd make it a tad wider than you currently have it.

These are all just minor tweaks. You've done a great job thus far!

Thankkyou PHArchivist, that was a HUGE help, those pics are perfect. I see what you mean about the wig.I think if I cut it I can spike up the top, I didnt even think of that.

I still have to do more painting on the face, wrinkles and beard stubble , etc. And the arms

Thanks for your advice.

You're welcome - it is a comforing joy when artists are open to feedback.

Of course - do be careful with the hair; unlike our own, it won't grow back!

Go slow, and TAKE PICS at each stage before going further. Do a little, take a pic, post the pic so you can compare with the film images, and keep working it.

I ALWAYS find that when I look at my stuff in images on the PC, I see things differently, and notice things I don't see in person.

Great work man! But as you can see on the PHA's pictures, the blue on the face covers the top of the right eye lid, as well as the top of the upper right lip.. I'd add a little more scruff to the edges of the blue paint, just a little, it seems a bit too even..
Still, looking great man!
And I LOVE your Boba Fett helmet too... Please show it on some pedestal...

Last edited:
WOW, you guys are the best, thankyou so much for the critiques, I really apreciate them!

I added a more textured apearance to the blue makeup and tried to show the underlying skin beneath. Redid the eyes, although I think I still need to work on them, tweaked the eyebrows a little. Skin tone needs to be finished as well- shadowing, beard stubble.

Now the hair was very hard for me to do. I am far from a hair stylist but I did manage to cut the top hair and hair spray it and blow dry it,,lol, its kind of a mess right now but will try to keep working it.
Thanks so much for looking and thankyou for all past and future help.

IMG_4365.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4364.jpg
[/IMG]

WOW!! Much better! Clearly you're on the right track. Love the texture in the blue (VERY realistic), and the hair work adds considerably.

if I may though - if you can bring the hair line dow so that it is more of a flat line across the forehead, (or better, a peak) you'd be dead on. Perhaps you're still planning on this, and have yet to get to it.

You may have to glue hair on to do it. I've done this before on an Arnie T2 bust. Take some of the trimmed off hair,a nd use white glue and just dab the ends of the hair in the glue and stick it on.

Man you are so close! Check this out:

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-006.jpg-34371d1284947689

In this, I added the outlines of the areas you may need to add more hair into. I think you might need some more near the temples as well, granted you master the techniqe.

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-007.jpg-34372d1284947689

You did a fantastic job texturing the blue paint! :thumbsup

PH makes some great points on the hair. If you can somehow construct that front v-taper on the hairline your golden ... keep up the good work.

You did a fantastic job texturing the blue paint! :thumbsup

PH makes some great points on the hair. If you can somehow construct that front v-taper on the hairline your golden ... keep up the good work.

Thanks SimmonM! Gonna try my best
Lookin good.

Dont be afraid to put some blue right up to his lips.

some stubble will seal the deal.

:thumbsup
Ok, Ill do that, seems in some shots it up to the lips and on the eyes lids and in some its not. I do think it looks better up to the lips too, I will do that also, thankyou:thumbsup

And in glueing hair in there, it may be more accurate in the sense that Mel sure looks like he has a bit of a weave going on there!

One more though if I haven't worn too thin...

On the skin tone, can you go a bit more pale? Mel in general is not olive-skinned, and in Scotland/Ireland I think he was more so pale.

On the other hand it is difficult to judge, as we do not know what type lighting you have on the bust. Your lamps may be adding to the warm skin tones.

Man you are so close! Check this out:

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-006.jpg-34371d1284947689

In this, I added the outlines of the areas you may need to add more hair into. I think you might need some more near the temples as well, granted you master the techniqe.

braveheart-full-sized-bust-bh-007.jpg-34372d1284947689

Adding the correct hairline and widows peak as suggested here would be a great improvement.

An easy way to do this is to cut some hair in smaller pieces and use some superglue, a little at a time - add the glue, press the hair onto the glued area, then move onto the next patch until the hairline is finished.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back