Bowcaster from Horton Safari

Kashyyyk

I have been search for a while but finally came across a Horton Safari for my brother for a Bowcaster build. Luckily, I found it just before his birthday so 2 birds with one stone. I took note and pretty much followed the lead from the other fantastic builds on here. Marcus and Markus were great with advice. I did differ a bit from what you can see. I ended up using a good bit of the plastic that was cut out of the stock area for extra parts. The front sight is made from the plastic with some ABS glue on the sides. Likewise, I cheated on the front bracket. Instead of chopping off the front completely, I only took off the top portion. I then used the bottom part and notched it. I used a chunk of the cut out plastic to make the very front piece and fit it into the notch. With a bit of putty and bondo, I blinded nicely. I then added 2 tiny strips of ABS on the side to make it look like it was the arm to the bracket. I figured if I can fake it, why should I actually make it. The bow was a pain to drill through, but I added a finger twist screw so my brother can pop the bow off and transport in his chewie bin easier. I also cheated a bit on the knobs. I found plates already on a 3D printing site. In a bind I would say go for it but they were trouble. They are not 100% perfect and the plate was too small. I ended up gluing to an ABS under plate and had to add bondo to make the bottom of the plate contour to the Horton. Honestly if I had not already spent the money on them, I would have found the right knobs. I'm all it worked out to a satisfactorily extent, but I make end up replacing it in the future. I'm close to being done at this point. Waiting for scope rings to come in and the strap. I'll add the string to the back at the end and should be finished up. Trying to figure out where the D rings attach at this point. If anyone has a clear shot it would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
I'm torn on the D ring thing. Its certainly a loop at the front, but from the pictures I've seen I cannot quite tell if its a O ring or D at the rear. Currently I've gone with a D but have an O ring should I need to swap it out.
Certainly a loop would match with the one at the front, but the D aesthetically looks okay at the rear due to its position.

Yeah man I've seen it both ways depending on the movie. Also how it hooks on the ring has varried from what I can see as well. I'm just going to do a D ring and be done with it.

I'm wandering if you'll have a problem with your strap as I have this attached at the front behind the prod so it hangs down with the O ring. The way you have yours set up it would be difficult to do unless you incorporated a slot for it to pass through or were simply looking to attach the strap using an alternative method from underneath?

I'm wandering if you'll have a problem with your strap as I have this attached at the front behind the prod so it hangs down with the O ring. The way you have yours set up it would be difficult to do unless you incorporated a slot for it to pass through or were simply looking to attach the strap using an alternative method from underneath?

There seems to be a leather "loop" on the SU bowcaster, that the D/ O ring is attached with. The prop dept. simply screwed this assembly to the front of the bow, "under" the barrel assist IMO

Markus

I initially thought mine was behind the prod, but is in front. I went with strapping rather than leather so its all in keeping. Other shot of the D ring (again with strap) on the rear.
DSC_0012.JPGDSC_0013.JPG

I thought the d ring actually went through the front. Am I wrong? I thought it actually went through the front if the stock. I've seen also some have put what looks like a metal bracket to hold in the ring. Depending on the movie I've seen a D ring or an O ring. Also depending on the movie, I've seen a leather piece between the stock and the start of the strap, a clip to hold on the strap directly to the D ring, a different clip on a D ring, or the strap just fed through an O ring. What is the consensus on how to get this done?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back