bone stripping

panik33

hey ive got a trophy pigs head for my costume but it still has meat on it has anyone got any tips on getting it off
i know you boil it but anything else guys?

thanks

ron

Best bet is to dump a load of dermetid beetles on that bad hog and let them go to work. They'll eat everything but the bone and...its either the ligaments or tendons they don't usually eat. Will take a while and you'll have to make sure that whatever you put them in is secure (don't wanna end up like that guy from the mummy), but they'll get the job done. Here is a link to a source I found: http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com/

Another option is to boil the crap out of the bones until everything literally falls off of them. If you do that, I'd suggest doing it outside in an area free of brush to prevent fires....assuming you have a propane stove or burner you can use outside.

put it outside covered from weather but open enough for bugs to get in. i used to put skulls under a heavy cast iron pot and tilt it up enough just to let bugs in. but not enough that some scavenger will come take it. the bugs will clean it up for you. then boil the remaining crap out.

Yep go with the bugs
I do the same as xdmray but I use a an iron cage and peg it to the ground. I'm lucky because i have a masive meat and colony in my back paddock that make short work of the left over nasty bits but DONT BOIL IT.

Boiling causes fat to soak into the bone, and makes it yellow and greasy.
Don't bleach them either, Bleach will make the bone brittle and chalky,eventually disintegrating the bone over time, no matter how well you rinse it. The best and easiest way is using bacteria to clean bones.

1. Remove as much tissue or hide from the bone as you can *enter the bugs*

2. Submerge the bone/skeleton/skull in a plastic bucket of water.

3. Leave the container in a warm location where you won't mind the smell. It's also wise to make a lid for the bucket out of window screen to keep mosquitoes out if you're keeping it in a garage or outside.

4. Periodically pour the greasy, smelly water out and replace with fresh water. If you have a garden, or a sad looking lawn, it's the best place, it really helps plant growth.

5. When the water runs clear, there's nothing left for the bacteria to eat, and you're ready to...

6. Soak the bone in regular drugstore strength hydrogen peroxide until it reaches the whiteness you prefer. The bones will be sterile after about 2 minutes, but you can leave them in there as long as you like. Don't use a metal bowl or bucket for this step, as you want to avoid weird chemical reactions, and rust getting on the bones.

yeah i don't mind the yellowish look, then you don't have to distress it later.

DSCN6514.jpg.gif

DSCN6515.jpg.gif

DSCN6514.jpg.gif

DSCN6515.jpg.gif

The guy next door was a hunter. He kept a 4ft by 4ft container with fire ants. When He had a skull the he wanted to hang up. He would put the skull with meat and everything inside the container and he have the ants do the work.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back