Bombshell: Star Trek "Cage" communicator circuit board is "found" object?

I'm surprised that no one has figured out that the material used in the Comm panels is just Grill Cloth. This material can be found on any "Fender" guitar amplifier of the day, and is still readily available. I have several Fender Twin Reverb's that have the same grill cloth as used in the Comm Panels. Have a looksie here at this link, midway down the page you can see the different styles:
http://www.ampwares.com/coverings.html

Bink

:lol Ok Fender I got my amps mixed up! :lol

Here is the chicken and egg question.

Did Trek and Mission Impossible use the same source for those "chips" or, are the MI ones and the Trek ones the same?

A scenario: The prop people at Desilu gather a whole bunch of these things for Trek, because they'll need them for the communicator props. The design changed between pilots, and the supply they bought sits in a drawer somewhere, they only used 2 of them for The Cage. Mission:Impossible needs some removable electoronic bits and somebody remembers those unused pieces from a few years ago, and tada.

Still saying they could be found items, but not necessarily items that were common enough to be sourced twice.

I'm just wondering if any are still around. This sounds like something that would have been discarded and not saved since it has no use as a component.

Anybody ever look inside one of the radios that were using for the phaser/comm grids/grilles. Seems like it they could be there.

Worth a shot.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back