Bob Burns Hollywood Halloween

DazzlerFan

Sr Member
I hope this is the correct forum to post this in, since it’s basically about reproductions of sets, props, and costumes.

For as long as I remember, I’ve been inspired by collector Bob Burns - for his niceness, his collection, and his Halloween Shows. I’ve never had the good fortune to meet Bob in person, but I’ve read all of his books, read magazine articles, watched internet interviews, and watched the documentary Beast Wishes over 50 times (that‘s not an exaggeration).

I‘ve long been on the search for the unreleased Bob Burns Hollywood Halloween documentary. I know part of it was available at one point on Bob’s website, but somehow I missed seeing it.

Two nights ago, I was thrilled to find that someone earlier this year has uploaded these videos. Thank you to whoever uploaded these to YouTube. You can see them here (in seven parts):

What a treat to see the construction of each of these Halloween Shows! I’ve been through the videos twice already and can’t wait to see them again.

I can’t pick a favorite show, although the Aliens one is amazing. Technically the Forbidden Planet one is pure magic for its time.

I thought there might be others on here who haven’t seen these videos. They are inspiring.

Now, I’m on the search for what would have made up the second disc of that documentary...the full videos of each show, including different versions with different cast members.

Bob is a beloved legend and the Halloween shows were as well.

Always wanted to attend one but never got the chance

The Halloween houses today as well as industry owe him big time

Thanks for the the blast from the past

I first read about his Hallowe'en shows when I was eight years old in this 1978 issue of Starlog. I was enthralled by the tales and by the talents involved.

-vintage-december-1978-issue-with-forbidden-planet.jpg

I got to meet him in person one time circa 1995-ish at a Wonderfest in Louisville KY. I plopped down my tattered copy and he looked up in shock at this 25yo kid and chortled, "Where did you get THAT?"

He signed it, what else? "Beast wishes! Bob Burns"

I attended his collection slideshow panel later that day, and was amazed to see pics of Rick Baker masks, some from the Hallowe'en shows (like the wolf/bat/demon from their Exorcist-inspired show, top right cover pic above) which Bob then loaned to this little sci-fi movie called Star Wars when they needed to do reshoots for their alien-filled watering hole scene.

Five or six years ago, I somehow stumbled onto an auction for a DVD of a Bob Burns panel. I bought it hoping to see again one specific Rick Baker mask he owns, similar to the 'Labria' devil-horned character from the cantina, but with longer gazelle-like horns.

When it arrived, I felt like I'd traveled back in time. Not only was the mask among the slides... but it was the very same panel I'd attended at Wonderfest all those years before. You could even hear my voice during the Q&A at the end!

I've seen some of the videos of his Hallowe'en shows, but I'll check the link you posted above just in case there's anything I've missed.

Be sure to let us know if you find the content of that other disc, too!

Alex

Alex - That’s a great story! That’s awesome you got a video of the exact same panel!

Set aside some time, the seven videos run slightly over two hours total!

In the third video, Bob actually briefly talks about the mask you mentioned. There’s a very short clip of it.

Alex - That’s a great story! That’s awesome you got a video of the exact same panel!

Set aside some time, the seven videos run slightly over two hours total!

In the third video, Bob actually briefly talks about the mask you mentioned. There’s a very short clip of it.

I just got to that one, as a matter of fact.

In the slideshow there was a variant of that "Labria" devil mask, also by Rick. Same head, but with longer, more knurl-y horns.

I know I've screen-shotted it before, I'll try to find it.

[[EDIT: I found it!
longhorn_Labria.jpg

It was on a Star Wars collecting forum in a post I made in June of 2010, so I've had that Bob Burns slideshow DVD longer than I realized. ]]

And it was amazing to finally see Rick as the demon in glorious home movies. I loved the fact he kludged it together from the suit from Schlock, the hands from It's Alive, and a mask that would soon visit Tatooine!

Every one of these videos has been revelatory to me, so far none of it was material I'd seen before, except in stills.

I did get a chuckle when they edited a Ghostbusters proton pack startup sound effect over them talking about Robby the Robot.

Can't wait to see more, thanks so much for posting the links here, I might have missed out otherwise.

Alex

Last edited:
With 29 days left until Halloween, it seemed appropriate to bring back these links to the documentary “Bob Burns’ Hollywood Halloween.”

I’ve watched it twice this past week to get me in the Trunk R Treat and decorating mood.

It’s a little bitter sweet watching it knowing that Kathy passed away this year. While I never met Bob or Kathy, I feel like I know them from the many books, magazines, and documentaries I’ve read and seen about them.

For easy viewing, here is a link to the play list for all seven parts of Hollywood Halloween: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuNh-iLNkGr_aPpNvs_MUwIRMmdA7jEPz

A giant thanks to pariemen for posting these!

Also, I’m still looking for a copy of the full walkthroughs of each Halloween Show. I have never seen any of them complete (just clips). A collection of these videos was supposed to be a second disc to the Hollywood Halloween documentary release that never occurred.

Streaming, digital, dvd, vhs, laserdisc (well maybe not laserdisc) - I’d take them however. Feel free to PM me.

Beast wishes to Bob! I hope he is doing well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back