Blade Runner stunt blaster help.

Kwc271

Hello everyone,
I just acquired a Tomenosuke stunt blaster kit, and I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience putting one together. It looks pretty straight forward as far as where all the parts go. My only real concern is drilling and tapping the holes where the grip screws go. The holes look like they are already tapped but they are partially plugged. It looks like they need to be drilled out . If they are drilled, the existing threads will be damaged and I will have to re-tap correct? I know this may sound stupid, but I paid good money for this kit , not to mention that I’ve been wanting a good Blade Runner blaster, and I don’t want to mess this up. Thanks for any help you can give.
Kevin

You shouldn’t have to drill and tap anything. Maybe some pictures would help? I’ve put together a couple of them and you just assemble it. You don’t need to drill any of your own holes.

I haven't built mine yet but you should not have to tap. Steel screws usually thread into resin just fine as long as the hole is the proper size.

Here are the holes already molded into the blaster. From what I can tell, the holes on one side are shallower than the other side. Do they need to be drilled out some? It seems like they should.

Attachments

• 1649DD49-12CD-4FB0-941E-2E96121F2D9C.jpeg
    1649DD49-12CD-4FB0-941E-2E96121F2D9C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • 78E829B9-A5EF-45ED-8AA5-F90A939CA677.jpeg
    78E829B9-A5EF-45ED-8AA5-F90A939CA677.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
  • F0578D03-DCF3-4273-854B-F4C8060B1020.jpeg
    F0578D03-DCF3-4273-854B-F4C8060B1020.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 84D69F38-8DFA-4310-B840-C472A3F79CC2.jpeg
    84D69F38-8DFA-4310-B840-C472A3F79CC2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
  • A06D13F3-F54D-46D5-A7B6-406E3915F1FB.jpeg
    A06D13F3-F54D-46D5-A7B6-406E3915F1FB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • B51EDE67-CA3F-4902-91D2-64D5E2501C71.jpeg
    B51EDE67-CA3F-4902-91D2-64D5E2501C71.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
hey, have you tried to actually attach the grips with the screws and see if they will go all the way? that will be your best indication if there is something to be done or not :)

Oh well, I’ll figure it out
it's hard to give you advise without knowing your tools and abilities and not point you in the wrong direction.
I would personally drill the holes with a slightly thinner drill bit, carefully not damaging the threads, then see if the screw will manage to go all the way without redoing the threads. i assume the material is somewhat soft, so I hope this would work.
if not, you will need to find the proper tap and complete the threads on the new hole.
It's not a difficult task but this is obviously dependent on what you are used to do :)
cheers

That’s what I was thinking. This resin is like a hard plastic but it will take threads well. I work as a maintenance mechanic so I have plenty of experience doing this type of thing. I just wanted to explore my options before I take a drill to it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

make sure you're using the right screws. Since screws go in from both sides on the grips, they should not be so long that they hit each other. So maybe one set of screws should be shorter than the other?

OH! I'm sorry I see. this is the rubber/resin stunt version. OK yeah so it's basically a raw casting and will need some clean up. So yes you may have to drill. But if it's resin, you shouldn't have to tap, just drill a slightly smaller hole so the screws have something to grip.
sorry for misunderstanding.

I’ve assembled a few of these, and I am currently in the process of doing two this week. I’ve done about 10 so far and I have had to drill all of them, so it isn’t unexpected. I just use a thin drill bit, not as thick as the screws, and I make sure not to go too deep. Just go slow while drilling and test often. If you find didn’t drill far enough, you can go back and do a little more.

I’ve assembled a few of these, and I am currently in the process of doing two this week. I’ve done about 10 so far and I have had to drill all of them, so it isn’t unexpected. I just use a thin drill bit, not as thick as the screws, and I make sure not to go too deep. Just go slow while drilling and test often. If you find didn’t drill far enough, you can go back and do a little more.
Sounds like a plan. If you don’t mind, I’d love to see a pic of the builds. Maybe show the holes? I’m wondering if the holes will end up going all the way through.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back