Blade Runner 2049 Snub-nosed K's Blaster

Fructose

TLDR: Below the original Blade Runner 2049 K's Blaster. In this thread I will log my design and build progress of creating a snub-nosed version of it.

Blade Runner 2049 K's blaster.PNG

Hi all, this is my first thread on the RPF and what better project with than a Blade Runner blaster. Instead of trying to make the most screen accurate replica, I need some freedom to optimize the design for manufacturing on my FDM printer. My objective is still to sand and putty things up to achieve a smooth looks-like-real finish. This will likely also require me to split up things in a few parts to make the parts more sand-able.

At some point I want to build the Blade Runner 1982 version (because it is just so epic :love:), but I want to gain some experience before I start that project. In this project I will therefore start with K's Blaster from Blade Runner 2049. While researching and thinking about this project I came across the snub-nosed version of the 1982 blaster - see the comparison below. Adam Savage and Norm from Tested build their version of it in this video and this stuck with me.

1673296534801.png

Snub-nosed Blade Runner 1982 blasters Adam Savage's Tested.PNG

This got me thinking and searching for some inspiration. Until now I didn't find loads of images of a snub-nosed K's blaster from Blade Runner 2049. Perhaps I'm breaking replica prop rules here, but if Adam Savage approves the snub-nosed version the 1982 version it will probably be OK to build a snub-nosed version of the 2049.

After searching around a bit and looking at reference material of K's blaster like the one at the at the head of this post, I only found the one below with a somewhat modified / shortened barrel.

Blade Runner 2049 genade launcher blaster.PNG

With Fusion 360 installed and ready to go, this is where the journey starts. Here starts my quest to design and build the Blade Runner 2049 snub-nosed K's Blaster.

To start the journey to a snub-nosed version of K's Blaster, I started with a quick image modification. I reduced the original barrel from 8 segments to only 4 segments. After doing this the handle feels out of proportion with the body and I cut of a significant part of this.

I love the detail in the barrel part of the design. While it is crowded with features, most shapes represent some function - the side hole pattern could actually serve as vent, there is an aiming element on top, a rail allows to connect a light, the two protruding wings-like structure on top could be replaceable energy cells, etc.

I have a different view on the hammer / body segment of the design. There are a lot of lines and features that are just there without reason. To reduce the complexity of the design I simplified this part of the design. This gives it a cleaner look and will save me a lot of time in the building process.

Sketch.gif

As last step I played with the shape of the trigger guard. I'm still in doubt whether I should change this element (see image below - left unmodified, and right modified). Making the trigger guard more square could fit the shortened barrel story-line. It emphasizes the shortened flow of the design - instead of flowing from left to right elongating it bend sharply around the corner and stops the visual flow from left to right through the design.

Trigger guard modification.PNG

Good news is that the trigger guard is probably one of the last elements to work out in 3D, so I still have time to think about it. I'm curious to hear what other RPF members think about it. Should I go for the original trigger guard (left) or should I take more design freedom and go for the modified design (right)?

I quickly made a model for size reference. I looked into different 3D models that are available online to get a first idea of size. There seems to be some overlap and I chose the middle ground as starting point for my model size. I made several prints on paper and cut these out to find a good size. Below a picture of my final size reference that I glued to foam board so I could beter test the grip and distance to the trigger. It is approximately 185 x 135 mm or 7.3 x 5.3 inches (width x height).

IMG_20230110_125955.jpg

The shortened grip still fits into my hand and doesn't feel to short. Distance to the trigger is good and also I can rest my finger on the trigger guard so I don't accidentally push the trigger. Safety first :lol:! Time to start build things in 3D.

Great work and thanks for sharing! Personally, I really like your modified "flat" trigger guard - I think it nicely echoes the "flat" line of the barrel and makes it look meaner.

While I like the overall design: cutting the barrel to 4 segments, I would go for no trigger guard at all. Airier look, keeping the slanted part on the grip would be a must...keeping a very small overhang for your middle finger;)

Great work and thanks for sharing! Personally, I really like your modified "flat" trigger guard - I think it nicely echoes the "flat" line of the barrel and makes it look meaner.
Nice to see that this idea resonates.

While I like the overall design: cutting the barrel to 4 segments, I would go for no trigger guard at all. Airier look, keeping the slanted part on the grip would be a must...keeping a very small overhang for your middle finger;)
I gave the no trigger guard a try, but it feels more nose heavy and long again. Also the iconic red light that is both on the 2049 and 1982 blaster is just floating. Let's see if more people feel the same.

shortNoGuard.PNG

Since you asked, here is some food for thought: the trigger guard serves a vital purpose, i.e., to prevent an accidental discharge of the weapon. Even flintlocks had them. While this is a fictional piece and the artistic license is yours to do with as you please, not having it makes it a less"grounded" design, IMHO. It does not look like a "safe" pistol and thus not one a cop or a Blade Runner would want to carry - one would holster that baby very gingerly. ;-)

Since you asked, here is some food for thought: the trigger guard serves a vital purpose, i.e., to prevent an accidental discharge of the weapon. Even flintlocks had them. While this is a fictional piece and the artistic license is yours to do with as you please, not having it makes it a less"grounded" design, IMHO. It does not look like a "safe" pistol and thus not one a cop or a Blade Runner would want to carry - one would holster that baby very gingerly. ;-)
Along those lines, but also with a minimal design would be something like the Fitz Special revolvers.

Or going a bit further back in time there was the Colt Paterson with its folding trigger. There were also some 'cyclist pistols' in the Victorian era which had a fold down trigger.

Last edited:
Nice to see that this idea resonates.

I gave the no trigger guard a try, but it feels more nose heavy and long again. Also the iconic red light that is both on the 2049 and 1982 blaster is just floating. Let's see if more people feel the same.

View attachment 1657492
Actually; two mods could make it better:
1: The part that keeps your middle finger in a firm place should be rounded and shorten.
2: The square below the red light should be eliminated altogether as to show the red light only. It will align with the bottom part of the barrel.

It's true that many weapons were without a trigger guard. I don't feel that it seems "longer" without it;)
It's a weapon that can be discharge, fast, in any circumstances: with or without gloves(y)

Below the status of today. I have enlarged the vent holes to make them more printable with a FDM printer. I made a test print to see if the pattern is printable with my 0.4mm nozzle and 0.12mm layer height (see further down below).
BarrelProgress2.PNG

BarrelProgress2detail.PNG

It seems the optimization makes the part printable. You can still see the layer lines quite visibly and sanding them out will be quite hard. To solve this I'm planning to coat the parts with UV resin used for SLA / DLP printers. I found this video where someone explains how they use it to get rid of the layer lines. This seems quite promising and I will give this a try. Any better ideas?

Below a picture of the printed test part. Its hard to capture the detail in a picture so I also made a screenshot of the slicer software where the layer lines is more clear.

layerLines.PNG

layerLinesSlicer.PNG

I completed a test with coating an FDM 3D printed model with DLP resin and curing it with UV light. Coating the part, curing it using UV light, rinsing it with alcohol to remove uncured resin worked well... but the results are not as good as I hoped. Below a comparison after painting the part with gloss black. So far I think it looks better without any treatment, but I will run the following experiments in the coming period:
  1. Lighter coat of DLP resin and perhaps blow on it with an airbrush to clear the vent holes
  2. Spray putty followed by black paint
  3. Multiple coats of thick black paint.
Objective is to reduce the visibility of layer lines, but also to maintain detail of the shape and small holes in the vents.

layerLinesCoated.PNG

Then after browsing deeper into the RPF, I found that someone has beaten me to creating the first Blade Runner 2049 Snub-nosed K's Blaster. Below one of the images of the RPF post of @[SIZE=4]rgriesbeck[/SIZE].

20190310_192321-jpg.jpg

With this in the world we have to up the challenge and turn this project into the first animated Blade Runner 2049 Snub-nosed K's Blaster o_O. Illuminating the red LED is easy. More difficult (but more impressive) is a working trigger and moving slide on top like the movie prop discussed in this video from Adam Savage's Tested - see image below.

SolenoidAnimation.gif

In the model discussed above a solenoid is used to create the rapid motion of the slide element. After some searching on Aliexpress I found this solenoid. Based on the dimensions on the product page I modeled the solenoid into the model and it seems to fit. I chose the TAU-0530T (see drawing below) model because it has 2 fixation points to attach the 3D printed part. These points will serve as main fixation of the moving part. After fixating it the part would still have a degree of freedom that would allow rotation around the solenoid, so I would only have to fix this 1 degree with the 3D printed parts. In terms of operating voltage range there is no statement on the product page, yet my plan is to power the 6V version using a lithium cell (~4.2 to 3.0V)... fingers crossed that it will work.

Drawing.PNG
SolenoidAnimation.gif

Shipping of the solenoid will take some time, so in the mean time I will keep on modeling. Below a screenshot of the status with the solenoid and slide with plunjer-like end that will move. Up next the body and the grip.
SolenoidModel.PNG

TLDR: Below the original Blade Runner 2049 K's Blaster. In this thread I will log my design and build progress of creating a snub-nosed version of it.

View attachment 1656425

Hi all, this is my first thread on the RPF and what better project with than a Blade Runner blaster. Instead of trying to make the most screen accurate replica, I need some freedom to optimize the design for manufacturing on my FDM printer. My objective is still to sand and putty things up to achieve a smooth looks-like-real finish. This will likely also require me to split up things in a few parts to make the parts more sand-able.

At some point I want to build the Blade Runner 1982 version (because it is just so epic :love:), but I want to gain some experience before I start that project. In this project I will therefore start with K's Blaster from Blade Runner 2049. While researching and thinking about this project I came across the snub-nosed version of the 1982 blaster - see the comparison below. Adam Savage and Norm from Tested build their version of it in this video and this stuck with me.

View attachment 1656416
View attachment 1656415

This got me thinking and searching for some inspiration. Until now I didn't find loads of images of a snub-nosed K's blaster from Blade Runner 2049. Perhaps I'm breaking replica prop rules here, but if Adam Savage approves the snub-nosed version the 1982 version it will probably be OK to build a snub-nosed version of the 2049.

After searching around a bit and looking at reference material of K's blaster like the one at the at the head of this post, I only found the one below with a somewhat modified / shortened barrel.

View attachment 1656417

With Fusion 360 installed and ready to go, this is where the journey starts. Here starts my quest to design and build the Blade Runner 2049 snub-nosed K's Blaster.
Cool... The snub nose of the original looks really cool.

Loving the direction and excited to see how the solenoid pans out.

I like the square-fronted trigger guard as a deviation from the original design, PLUS I think it accentuates the shorty quality. I think you could actually push that a little farther. Make the trigger guard a bitter bigger and roomier and the rest of the gun would like squattier in relation.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back