Blade Runner 2049 - Niander Wallace's Neck Modules + Box

Namssorg

I've been looking for a small-scale project in my wheelhouse, and thought the box of wetware neck implants that Luv opens during the film would be an excellent little piece. A good mix of 3d printing, woodworking, and graphics! Plus, it's small and gorgeous.

Does anyone know if any reference images of this prop exist? I've been looking for a few days, and the best I've found so far have all been screenshots from the 4K Blu-Ray.
I know there have been several props heavily photographed and displayed from this film, but I've never seen this particular one in the mix. Anyone even know what it is called?

My plan is to build the box out of a similar wood (to my eye it looks like red oak) and SLA the implant modules. Should be a quick + fun project.

Qb9oc01C_o.png

UPDATE: Found another reference!I noticed the box shows up in the background of the Tested video with Adam Savage and Doug Harlocker.
I've started an Imgur album with reference images and what I've learned so far about this prop.

Last edited:
Hey, nice project. As I already pointed out in Elilay's run thread, if you want smething really accurate, the box is not made out of massive wood but of melamined venered wood. If you want to accurately reproduce the grain orientation and build of the bow, it will be the only way to make it. I'm even almost sure that the box is first constructed then veneered ;)

I was wondering. Thanks for the tip!

The lack of joints made me wonder if it was machined out of a huge block, or like you said, just a veneer. There would be something nice about making it out of wood, especially considering how rare it is in the world of the film.

here is an explanation of what I see, i put lines for the wood grain in the areas that show that is cannot be massive wood. on the sliding part, the grain is in diagonal, clearly a veneer. on the front part the grain is vertical, if it was cut in a big piece of wood, it would be end grain.
cheers
walaceBox.jpg

Seems that the main body is solid. Lid seems veneered or, by the look of it, painted by hand (faux wood). Inside groove on either side of the black insert holding the "chips" could be part of the mechanism holding/sliding the lid. Fast project?...not! Tricky little box that one;)

the main body is not solid, it's for sure ;) the end of the box would show end grain, there is shows the thickness of the veneers. all the angles are a bit damaged like faux wood veneer would damage. there is even a tear off at the start of the opening, in the corner. and for me the beveled edge don't look like what the grain would look like, it's the same as the top and it really looks like a folded veneer. Also, there is no reason they would make the sliding part veneered but the main part solid.
cheers

Found another reference!I

I noticed the box shows up in the background of the Tested video with Adam Savage and Doug Harlocker. Around the 16:30 mark. They never talk about the box, but at least it's sitting there next to some other objects for reference, and we get a better idea what it looks like without the orange color grading in the scene. I just realized it's not a rectangular box, but triangular!

I've started an Imgur album with reference images and what I've learned so far about this prop.

Finally had a little time to get back to this project. After lots of time studying reference images of this thing, I think I've managed to work out the overall dimensions. From there, I've been going back and forth between CAD and references to iron out the details, overlaying my 3D model onto the references.

I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up. Pretty excited to get into building this for real.

jSWkA59.png

CAD matched to still from the film
R6qAUCg.png

CAD model
ImVwJKB.jpg

One of several reference images with a few known objects to help judge the overall size.

ITCsn3y.jpg

CAD size estimation overlayed on top of the reference photo

nice work, looking forward to see your real model. Have you decided between solid vs veneered?

It’s been awhile, but the project is not dead!

Believe it or not, there has been progress!

With the help and knowledge of a few others, I’ve built a prototype and designed it to be a kit. There are quite a few parts and processes involved, and the box slides and works well.

At the moment, I’m considering the best way to offer that kit, and trying to determine what kind of effort or cost a small run would take (if there’s enough interest.)

Here’s a little peek.

01D4AEE8-4306-400D-BE14-5E84E50DBC9B.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back