Black Series Darth Vader Helmet Mod Thread!

So I wasn’t happy with how my neck extension just went straight down so I took a heat gun to it and gave it a proper flare. Much better!

33257C97-16B8-431C-82C9-409B05897914.jpeg

5C87D8F8-D513-4FA8-A972-B1D873B64F27.jpeg

So I wasn’t happy with how my neck extension just went straight down so I took a heat gun to it and gave it a proper flare. Much better!

Wow, that's spooky DarkLyte, I did exactly the same with mine last weekend! I wasn't going to post photos until I'd modified my chin vent and repainted the collar but here's a (bad) quick one anyway. I haven't flared as much as you because I made my neck extension shorter than yours (wish I'd made it longer now!) but I think it looks better than it did when it was straight. Shame I burnt my thumb in the process though :(.

BS-DV-7.jpg

Wow, that's spooky DarkLyte, I did exactly the same with mine last weekend! I wasn't going to post photos until I'd modified my chin vent and repainted the collar but here's a (bad) quick one anyway. I haven't flared as much as you because I made my neck extension shorter than yours (wish I'd made it longer now!) but I think it looks better than it did when it was straight. Shame I burnt my thumb in the process though :(.

View attachment 982929

Looks great!! I think the slight flare really added to your extension. Can't wait to see it all repainted!

Is that gloss black on the lower (duplicator by chance)? And did you (will you) clear after the gunmetal on the face and neck? And one more...I think I read that you cleared the helmet but wasn’t clear if you laid a layer of gloss black first or just over the stock plastic? Thanks.

Nice job. I gotta finish a couple of projects before diving into this.

Is that gloss black on the lower (duplicator by chance)? And did you (will you) clear after the gunmetal on the face and neck? And one more...I think I read that you cleared the helmet but wasn’t clear if you laid a layer of gloss black first or just over the stock plastic? Thanks.

Nice job. I gotta finish a couple of projects before diving into this.

The collar currently has Rustoleum Gloss Black on it. Since I sprayed gun metal on top of the stock black plastic on the face, I wanted to make sure I would get the same effect on the collar when I spray it with gun metal. I did very light misted coats to let some of the black show through under said gun metal. I already sprayed gloss clear on the face but did it conservatively as to not make it too shiny. I just left the black plastic parts bare and sprayed gloss on top of it. The result is awesome! I did not clear the helmet yet however I might do it in the future.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back