Bio casting question for all you bio makers

VinMan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey there Sculptors,

I am looking for some guidance here hunters. I am in the process of molding my third bio. the others were more of an experiment into the art form. This one is the real deal. I do not want any mistakes.

The question is this.

What are the pros and cons of molding a bio with and without the Laser Shroud, Hose port and cheek hose port ?

thanks, your guidance is always very appreciated

VinMan

From the molds I have casted from...it seems when those smaller pieces are casted seperatlely they come out cleaner. Less air bubbles and such.

Scott pretty much nailed it. Another factor is that when the bio is cast with all those things, you have to pull the mold around a bit more to demold. More stress on the rubber, more potential for tearing, shorter mold life. I'm looking at remolding a couple of my bios at the minute for this very reason. They're not bad yet, but they have the potential to be after a few more casts.

Of course, the cons of molding without all those details is that gaps can be left when they're glued on, which doesn't look good.

If it helps, my next sculpt will probably have them as separate pieces.

Also some poeple use filler powers in their resin to thicken it up and make it stronger. The detail parts are best casted with straight resin to get into all the fine parts easily, another reason to mold the seperately. I would mold the shroud with the bio though.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back