Billy The Kids Pistol -- A question about guns

That's a Colt model made in 1873, Single Action (SA) and .45 caliber.

Sources: Colt Single Action Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only thing that would change is the length, and then it would say 45 long at the end, instead of just 45. There are many different lengths depending on the "style", but I don't know enough about BTK to know if he used a standard, cavalry, or "civilian" standard. The lengths are listed on the wikipedia page, though.

Billy, as did most people of the era that carried handguns, would have used the Colt Single Action pistol in any number of calibers. .45 Long Colt was popular, as was .38. Sometimes, people would buy the same caliber pistol as the rifle they owned so that they could use the same ammo in each. He probably would have carried the 4 3/4" barrel version for ease of carry and quicker drawing from the holster. The Colt also came in 5 1/2" and 7" barrel lengths. A Colt with a 7" barrel is more accurate due to the barrel length, but is a long gun to carry on your hip or tucked into your belt or waistband of your trousers! It was the finest handgun you could own, and is still very popular today.

It is known that Billy was fond of the Double Action Colt Lightning, which was a smaller handgun that fit his hand better. The Lighting came in .38 caliber and it's brother, the Thunderer, came in .41 caliber. This handgun was also known as a 'self cocker,' since all you had to do to fire it was pull the trigger, like most modern handguns. The Colt Single Action had to have its hammer ****** back using your thumb, thus the term 'thumb buster,' and then you pulled the trigger to fire the pistol. Using a Double Action Lightning would have also meant that Billy could fire off the six rounds, or five if it was carried with the hammer on an empty chamber to prevent accidental firing, faster than using a Single Action.

Here are photos of the three barrel lengths for the Colt Single Action and a photo of the Colt Lightning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 249
I do a lot of movies where I get an extra "bump" for providing my own costumes and weapons. Plus I do a lot of live shows as well. For most shows, I like to carry a small gun, so I go with a Colt (Uberti reproduction) .38 Storekeeper/Sheriff model. The gun was made to be carried in a shoulder holster and has a smaller frame, so it doesn't make a huge bulge in the suit coat. Depending on authenticity concerns, where date is important, I have a cartridge conversion version of the Colt 1860, a Remington "Outlaw" model which is contemporaneous with the 1873 SAA Colt. I also have 3 Paterson Colts which are for very early 1800s.

Billy used a double action 1877 colt & also a Colt SAA .44 cal . WCF to be compatible with his Winchester carbine that had 20" barrel..he also had a Bulldog revolver ..he was not a southpaw ! ! Pat Garrett shot him with a 7 1/2 " barrel Colt SAA ..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back