Bilbo Baggins Travel Cloak Dwarf Style

Jollyjumper

Hey guys and girls,

I would love to have the dwarf cloak Bilbo Baggins is wearing when he Returns to the Shire after the Battle of the Five Armies...

I have three Pictures in a bad Quality (have to make a Picture while watching the blu ray the next time ;) )
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32873040/b6124e904b93cfe654c2fd8ac396fb93.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32873040/ec536db0cb3434f8c75ecada6ba8f96f.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32873040/b5eaf6f7fa5f0610858f07359e9d4a04.jpg

Can someone tell me what Kind of fabric that is? you are more experienced than me :) Raw silk? Wool? Cotton? Wool might be too thick, though..

Please help me :) and if you can find a similar Color (rather the bluish colour from the second and third picture) in any shop shipping to Austria (not Australia) or Germany, it would be awesome!!
Any help for that triangular clasp is also welcome.

Greetings
Jollyjumper

Last edited:
For the clasp, either a resin or metal cast would be your best bet. (Pewter casts at a fairly low temperature, relatively speaking.)

Ooph. That clasp may be difficult. A blacksmith would be able to help you out, and I am one. I could make something structurally sound, but Id have trouble with that level of detail. Also, blacksmith services are not cheap (even a newbie like myself)

Ooph. That clasp may be difficult. A blacksmith would be able to help you out, and I am one. I could make something structurally sound, but Id have trouble with that level of detail. Also, blacksmith services are not cheap (even a newbie like myself)

Yeah I thought so :(
Maybe resin is the better choice for my price class.. What would you for example charge for something similar (details not necessary) ? Just interested

Resin won't be cheap either. I've been asking around for resin cast quotes and I'm looking at $285 for the original sculpting, $85 to do a silicon mold of the sculpture, and $8 for a resin cast using the mold.

And my design is simpler and less 3 dimensional than yours. Though, about twice the size.

I wouldn't be confident in taking a job like this on because it requires one skill I haven't even tried to master yet, forge welding. It'd be impossible to do this piece from one piece of steel. That being said, let's discuss price like I do know what Im doing. The design itself is simple. 3 flat bars, and 3 square bars cut short and hammered to match the corners of the brooch. I would suggest using a pin that isn't pictured in the hobbit to gather the cloak. Just a piece of steel. Feed the cloak through the triangle, run the pin through it, and let the pressure of the cloak hold the pin against the brooch. Again, pretty simple design. Easier than say, the leaf fellowship brooch which has to be organic and curvy. This is all sharp corners. Pretty simple, if I could forge weld.

In fact, learning to do this would not only be a boon to me, as far as skills gained, but because in November 2016, I hope to be a vendor at the upcoming Tol-Con. And having practice making these brooches would be a hit.

That being said, if you are exceptionally patient and can wait (potentially into early 2016) then I'll make one for you, and I won't charge custom or even prototype prices. I don't know what I would charge for a completed piece (with decoration) but it would probably be in the $150 range. Possibly less, probably not less than $100 if its easier than I think. And potentially upwards of $200 if it's harder than Im thinking.

If it's worse than $200, I probably won't make them.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll prioritize the learning of necessary skills, and the making of decorative hot metal stamps so I can actually make the thing.

It will probably be either the end of this year, or early next year before I'm ready, and I wouldn't expect any upfront payments since i'm prototyping and can't confirm whether or not I can actually make the thing.

They've put out a couple of books for each Hobbit film, showing the art & design that went into everything. I'd be willing to bet that there's a much better picture of the clasp in one of the books for the 3rd film.

Really? Could you name one of those books for me? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there,
thank you for the offer but I will try to make the cloak first and then think about the clasp :) So if you do produce them one day and I can afford that thing, then I will buy it.
But I think that there’s potential of selling that thing if you want to learn it anyway!!

Jolly, I'll go ahead and make some clasps and give you an idea of a price. I will say that I will probably end up with a number of prototypes that will make a fine clasp, but for one reason or another, aren't good enough for me to sell. I may even be willing to just give one away. I've got to be careful saying that, because that's a great way to flood my own market base, but we'll call it an "Idea Finder's Fee"

:D oh and I could be a living advertisement ;)
Please keep me up to date in any case -is it possible to write pns here?
I would be delighted to see some prototypes someday!

Jolly, I'll go ahead and make some clasps and give you an idea of a price. I will say that I will probably end up with a number of prototypes that will make a fine clasp, but for one reason or another, aren't good enough for me to sell. I may even be willing to just give one away. I've got to be careful saying that, because that's a great way to flood my own market base, but we'll call it an "Idea Finder's Fee"

Don't find pn possibilities...My Email is ka_leitner@gmx.at,
Keep me up to date please!! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back