Big Trouble in Little China (Remake)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by gunnerk19, May 29, 2015.

1. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

2. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Re: Can it be? Big Trouble in Little China 2?

I have to say "hell no" on the choices for a recast of Gracie Law and Miao Yin. Plus, I hope that if they did do this, they'll get the original cast involved (and even have Carpenter involved as well). But then again, I don't know about the site that you linked, so I can't be sure if its true info or if it's not.

3. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This has supposedly been happening for years...and hopefully it will STAY that way! :facepalm

4. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh man, I'd love to see Jack again but I kind of dont want it to tarnish a great cult classic

Chaank likes this.
  5. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

As much as I liked the original, I don't want this to happen unless all of the original cast is brought back.

timelordjedi777 likes this.
  6. Axlotl

Axlotl Master Member

I love, Love, LOVE "Big Trouble In Little China".

But no thank you.

Solo4114 and tgreco like this.
  7. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Crapfest..

8. fainche

fainche New Member

They made good selection of cast.

9. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

I heard about this a couple of days ago and had to check here. If this is true (and I am a huge BTLC fan) that case looks amazing! I can't remember being so nervious about a prequal since the second Starwars prequels, Prometheus, the next Prometheus, Winter soldier, Hellboy II, oh, never mind...:lol

10. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

just ...no.

Solo4114 likes this.
  11. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Why don't they just revisit/reboot lousy films and leave the classics alone?
    Reboot Chappie or Jupiter Ascending but leave BTLC alone.

12. dbalschi

dbalschi Sr Member

13. Apollo

Dwayne should know better!

Too bad Paul is not still around to talk some sense to him! :lol

14. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

He is entertaining to watch as a wrestler, but I dont care for his films. I don't want to smell what the Rock is cooking in Little China.

Chaank likes this.
  15. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

With The Rock involved, consider me intrigued.

16. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

With anyone involved consider me completely uninterested.

I will just pop the original movie in the PS3 and watch it for the millionth time...and love every minute of it.

17. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I'll give you that he is a money maker, but as Egg Shen says...http://imgur.com/D83wFpa

Jack is not some hulking dude. He was a cocky truck driver with no skill other than some good reflexes with catching a bottle coming for his face and a lucky knife throw. He was for all intents and purposes the side kick, not the star. He just doesn't fit the role of Jack Burton.

18. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

19. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

Not really interested to begin with but if the rock is involved, My interest goes down to zero......

20. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Big Trouble in Little China is the only movie that I had the privilege to see as a pre-release screening.... as such it is the true sacred cow of my childhood.

Hope the movie doesn't get turned into hamburger.

21. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Its a good job John Carpenter never made any remakes.

Oh wait..

22. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No...just, no.

mugatu likes this.
  23. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not saying he is the only thing great about the original, because he isn't, but if James Hong isn't in it playing David Lo Pan, there is absolutely no point.

No horse ****.

24. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

Dear Hollywood,

F*** you.

Love,

Dan

P.S. No.

tgreco, robn1, mugatu and 1 other person like this.
  25. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Axlotl likes this.
  26. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

The Rock is not only going to star in it, he's producing it. That means he's going to be involved in the script, casting, design, etc. So I would expect the film to be tailored entirely to him. I would also expect Jack Burton to be only mildly bumbling and to have at least one scene where he gets mad, looks out from under his eyebrows and then kicks the crap out of the 3 storms.

Chaank likes this.
  27. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

Who cares if they remake the movie with more modern special effects? Who cares if they remake it with the most popular actors? Who cares if they spend a gazillion dollars on it? The original is a wonderful fun crazy movie and it doesn't need a remake.There is not one remake of a John Carpenter movie that comes anywhere near the quality of the originals so please stop trying you clueless stupid idiots. Write a new story with a new group of likable characters, don't overdo the action, don't overdo the special effects, make it with hard work and try to make every frame the best that you can, market it properly and hope for the best but stop making inferior copies of good movies.

timelordjedi777, Axlotl and robn1 like this.
  28. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Dear Rock,

Will you leave Jack Burton alone?! For we are in his debt. HE SHOWED GREAT COURAGE!

tgreco and mugatu like this.
  29. Apollo

Hopefully this will bomb at the box office much like the Original did! :lol

30. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Sr Member

I'd rather see Bradley Cooper cast as Jack Burton. Johnson is just too flippin' huge physically. And I'd be okay with Ken Jeong as Lo Pan.

31. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Lets not see the original through rose tinted glasses.

The original also stared an action hero, and the last film the director made with that same action hero was itself a remake.

Carpenter has made more bad films than good ones, and the one the general public probably remembers the most is the remake, the thing.

The Rock is coming off the back of the last three fast and furious films that have earned billions, and San Andreas which has opened strongly.

Remaking classics did not work for Robocop or Total Recall, but there are a lot more film goers out there that have not scene the original BTILC than have, and the remake is for them, not us, and none of us are going to be forced to watch it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Riceball likes this.
  32. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

This has to be the most concise post I've seen from you Solo4114. :lol
    I agree with the sentiment of your post completely.

MAAZ and mugatu like this.
  33. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

Well, that's killed it right there.

34. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Every article I read is stating The Rock is going to star in it. Jack Burton shouldn't be some huge hulk in my opinion. Jack should look like "hmm maybe this guy is going to get his * kicked" not making his enemy's eating turnbuckles or dropping The People's Elbow.

gunnerk19 likes this.
  35. Victor3

Victor3 Well-Known Member

And that's the thing, right? Jack Burton is not an invincible dude. He does alright in a fight, but as a character, he's very much in the same vein as Rick Deckard, Indiana Jones & Mal Reynolds. He'd rather handle adversaries from a distance and not get into a fight unless he has to. If he does, he aims to win, but will not come out unscathed.

Sundowner likes this.
  36. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Muscles won't do you any good against kung fu anyway, and the bigger you are the more of your own weight they can use against you.

37. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

The whole point of Jack Burton was that he was largely ineffective, and his "sidekick" did most of the * kicking in the film. Jack just has a lot of bravado, and manages to do one thing really right in killing Lo Pan. Other than that, he ain't much of a hero, and that's the joke. The whole point is that he wanders around, swaggering with this faux John Wayne attitude, and yet he spends most of the fight scenes running or trying to find a weapon or pinned under an enemy or whathaveyou. Meanwhile, Wang's taking out all the henchmen and a magical swordsman who can freakin' fly. It's totally subversive.

p00k1333, mugatu, Apollo and 2 others like this.
  38. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

You're absolutely wrong. Halloween is his most famous film.

And more bad films than good ones?

The Fog, Halloween, Christine, They Live, Prince of Darkness, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York, Starman, Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars

I'll give you Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Village of the Damned, and Escape from LA as bad movies.... but, exactly which of the others do you consider bad?

* near every one of his films has become iconic. Sorry, but Carpenter has a solid career, and has made many of my favorite movies.

Apollo likes this.
  39. glunark

glunark Sr Member

Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars, don't exactly rate Prince of Darkness either.

As a massive Carpenter fan, you aren't exactly coming from a neutral position.

Riceball likes this.
  40. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

That could still work for the Rock, they could play up his physique which would fuel his bravado and thus add humor, a big, buff guy who's not really all that tough or badass, despite the way he looks. I'll wait and see until there's some more about what they're doing to do with this remake and wait for the trailer before deciding whether or not this will be a waste of time or not, right now it's way too early to tell.

41. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I would agree on all counts except Ghost of Mars but I would add that Dark Star, Assault on Precinct 13, and Prince of Darkness are all good movies. His movies are not for everyone but I'm a lifelong fan and think his body of work is underrated for the most part.

- - - Updated - - -

But the question remains is why do we need to see Mr. The Rock even try when the original movie was good? Why the hell can't they create a new character he can create by bugging his eyes out and looking crazy?

42. Apollo

Who cares?

They need to make THEIR OWN Film instead of re-making a Cult classic.

When the original came out it bombed and bombed hard.

People did'nt get a lot of the film.

Jack was supposed to be the hero instead of the bumbling blowhard who was completly out of his element.

Carpenter was WAY ahead of his time with this one and it is nice to see that a lot of people FINALLY got it!

43. tgreco

tgreco Sr Member

My take away from this conversation is that the only people who want to see John Carpenter films remade, are people who aren't fan's of John Carpenter's work in the first place.

Let's see how they've done with the remakes so far...
    Assault on Precinct 13... RT score 60%
    The Fog ... 4%
    Halloween ... 25%
    The Thing ... 35%

comparably
    The Originals
    Assault on Precint 13 : 97%
    The Fog: 69%
    Halloween: 94%
    The Thing: 80%

How about they leave this one alone, and we teach the young ones that not every great movie was made in the last 10 years.

Axlotl likes this.
  44. Apollo

Right but you know it is a double edged sword but one that I like.

John gets some fast easy money and the unwashed masses get crap! :lol

45. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

It's Hollywood, they don't know when to leave anything alone.

I'm proud to say I was one of the fifty or so people who supported Big Trouble in Little China by seeing it in the theater on opening night in 1986...I got it right off the bat.

46. Apollo

Ditto!

A lot of my friends did'nt though! :lol

47. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If the rock wants to be in it. Let him be the guy that's the muscle for Lo pan. You know the dude that blows up at the end. I rather them not remake it, but a new story many years later with new people. Maybe like egg takes on a new threat on his variation.

48. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

I was the other guy in the theater cheering.

49. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

It sounds like most of the people who saw it in '86 are now on the RPF. :lol

50. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I missed out on seeing it in the theater, but during the summer when it came out on cable, I watched it religiously everyday before soccer practice. I later ended up wearing out a VHS copy. I may have only been twelve but I sure did not mind Gracie Law and Mao Linn :)

Not sure why, but this film and the Thing are two of my favorite Kurt Russel films.

Axlotl likes this.