Big Daddy from Bioshock - a 12 day build result. (also - long time no post.....)

Hermes

Sr Member
Hi, guys and girls...

It has been a while since I last posted on the RPF, other than the odd Junkyard request, but I felt today that I could take a while to say hi....

.... and post at least a picture or two (maybe even a link to a video) of the presentation I made with the Big Daddy Suit here in the Comicon Experience in São Paulo, Brasil, which yielded me the Best Costume Award in 2015.

The rules of the contest were published very near the event, and by then I STILL didn´t have any idea of what to do, so when they came out, I had to think really fast, and since I am very keen on Steampunk, and the Bioshock game has always been interesting, that die was cast.

Except that the rules required pictures of the completed costume, production drawings, everything to be delivered in no more than 15 days. AS you can imagine, I rushed, and had I not the experience I already have, I would have failed, but what did I do?

Basically I researched every picture of the Big Daddy possible. After that, I drew him in scale, figuring out what parts I would have to do, what sort of material I would have to buy, electronics, battery and all. In hindsight, I should have done at least the feet better, for EVA is a better medium for large foot making than Insulation Foam. However, the hardness of the foam gave me a sort of gait that was VERY dramatic, very powerful and cumbersome (as if a 110-pound suit already wasn´t).

the only part I got from elsewhere was the dome, for even though I COULD make, time-wise, an EVA dome, and most likely should, I wanted it to be an acrylic dome, and it got to me in the very nick of time, in the final 2 days of the build.

I wish there were many production pictures, but I just didn´t have time to do that many, but here are at least a bit of the pictures of what it looked like in the end, and hopefully at least one link or two to videos of the presentation :)

I daresay..... Not bad at all for a 12 day run (and I was still making ANOTHER suit at the time!)

:)

upload_-1.jpgBig Daddy Apresentação.jpgBig Daddy 2.jpgBig Daddy 3.jpg

And here, the presentation.....

As usual, if anyone may happen to have any question or something I can help, I am around :)

Hermes!

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! I'm impressed! its on my top 5 to build!!

12 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now I noticed I may have phrased two things wrongly....

The first is about the dome. While I DID get an acrylic dome, every single detail part on it I made. It was smooth as it came from the factory, which I believe was intended to be a camera mount or something.....

The second is that it seems I only worked ON the Big Daddy suit during these days, which was simply not true.

I also made a full Loki Armor and a Cersei Lannister dress for my girlfriend, refurbished my own Robert Baratheon suit AND made a full Joffrey Baratheon, from scratch, for a friend, complete with crossbow. All in all, it WAS a hectic time, but even more so than people imagine :)

:)

upload_-1.jpgupload_-1.jpgupload_-1.jpgupload_-1.jpgupload_-1.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back