Best ways to crackle/craze acrylic rod?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I haven't had to do this in years, and basically I've forgotten how. I remember alcohol being involved, but the rubbing kind not the drinking kind :lol

Was it flame polish it, cool it, and then pour it on there?

Does it matter if it's cast acrylic rod or extruded acrylic rod?

Google hasn't been much help on it. Keeps telling me how to fix crazing but nothing telling me how to craze.

Any helps greatly appreciated!

Chris

Heat and alcohol usually ruins my laser engraved pieces, so its probably the same. Heat the area then rub the alcohol in.

Heat and alcohol tend to ruin a lot of things :lol

I'll give it a whirl on a test piece and see if that works out.

Thanks man!
Chris

Nah, nothing marvel related.

Just had a friend ask me about a project and I thought "Oh, hell I could do that" and then I realized "Oh, hell, I forgot how to do that..." :lol

I remember using rubbing alcohol on the acrylic rod before and it crazing like, well, crazy but I can't remember the prep steps I did with it. I'll try the flame polish idea as soon as I get some sort of idea where I left my little hand torch at.

Chris

Found my hand torch (dunno what the technical term is, it's a lil mini propane torch that's... well, hand held).

Flame polished some extruded acrylic rod, hit it with some rubbing alcohol after it cooled, and poof, crazed like, well, crazy.

So, if you wanna make an extruded (haven't tried cast yet) acrylic rod, flame polish it a bit and then hit it with some rubbing alcohol when it's cooled off and it'll crack and craze beautifully :)

Thanks for the help guys!!!!
Chris

Extruded is much better for crazing. Cast is sometimes near impossible.

If you want to avoid crazing in the future, put it in the oven at 80degrees for an hour for every mm of thickness :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back