Best Trek Uniforms Source Wrath of Khan Style

There used to be something called Starfleettailor.com - they did offer an excellent TWOK uniform - priced accordingly - but they disappeared off the radar some years ago...

Get the patterns from Roddenberry.com, modify the necessary bits and either dust off the sewing machine or visit a tailor. The "Monster Maroon" uniform is a complicated garment - very hard to find a decent off-the-peg version...

[EDIT - typo]

There's a seller on ebay, starthreadsgale, that currently has one up for auction. I've been considering ordering one myself, but never have. The pics look good.

Originally posted by xaoslord@Apr 13 2006, 09:15 AM
There's a seller on ebay, starthreadsgale, that currently has one up for auction.  I've been considering ordering one myself, but never have.  The pics look good.
[snapback]1225369[/snapback]​

Gale's uniform is decent, but you need to make modifications to it in order to be almost screen accurate. The one that I bought had the front panel fastened to the jacket with velcro, and gold buttons in place of the security wheel and strap wheel lock mechanism. I replaced them respectively with chain and snaps, the proper security wheel and the wheel lock. Add the proper pins and you're set to go. It does come with a nylon belt and a plastic buckle, as well as a thick white long sleeve shirt with the quilted collar.

Here's a pic of mine after modifications:

uniforms.jpg

Originally posted by xaoslord@Apr 13 2006, 01:15 AM
There's a seller on ebay, starthreadsgale, that currently has one up for auction.  I've been considering ordering one myself, but never have.  The pics look good.
[snapback]1225369[/snapback]​

If I was to go with that uniform, could some kind souls get me through the whole where to find the chain, snaps, wheel, twist lock and badging part of the party.

And how good is her trapunto collar on the shirt ? Is it actually trapunto or quilting ?

I am not in any kind of hurry here. This is a long time pet idea of mine so if I can dig up some good sources, that's great.

Thanks .

KK2

Here are some grabs for comparison... note the thickness of the black trim, how wide the white sleeve strap (with pips and squeeks) is, and other proportions, as well as details of the interior (hidden) sides of the jacket flaps.

Reasonably accurate buckle, badges and pins (well better that those I see on Gale's version anyway) can be got from Roddenberry.com.

WOK-captSpockrank.jpg

WOK-commanders.jpg

WOK-Kirk-sleeve-watch2.jpg

WOK-Kirk-sleevegadgets-watc.jpg

WOK-kirkjacket-flapopen.jpg

WOK-kirkjacket02.jpg

WOK-kirkjacket03.jpg

WOK-Kirk-strapdevice.jpg

- k

See how stiff the material is in those caps? Very few folds, and the ones that are there are big. Then look at that ebay pic. The material's too light. Like in every repro jacket I've ever seen. Some people swear by wool gaberdine but I think that's too light, too.

100% wool or nothin', I say. Screw comfort. ;)

(This goes for Imperial Officer uniforms, too.)

Originally posted by Treadwell@Apr 13 2006, 03:44 PM
See how stiff the material is in those caps? Very few folds, and the ones that are there are big. Then look at that ebay pic. The material's too light. Like in every repro jacket I've ever seen. Some people swear by wool gaberdine but I think that's too light, too.

[snapback]1225689[/snapback]​

A lot of it also has to do with the facings and whether there is canvas in the front and shoulders like in a good suit.

So, I e-mailed the eBay lady with all sorts of specific requests and questions. Let's see if I give her a stroke .

Thanks
KK2

Originally posted by KenKenobi2+Apr 13 2006, 06:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KenKenobi2 @ Apr 13 2006, 06:23 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Treadwell
@Apr 13 2006, 03:44 PM

A lot of it also has to do with the facings and whether there is canvas in the front and shoulders like in a good suit.

So, I e-mailed the eBay lady with all sorts of specific requests and questions. Let's see if I give her a stroke .

Thanks
KK2
[snapback]1225797[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes. I gave her a stroke. Her words "not cost effective" What to be correct or even close so I don't need to do any extra work ?

Ah well....next tailor .

KK2

Originally posted by KenKenobi2+Apr 14 2006, 10:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KenKenobi2 @ Apr 14 2006, 10:46 AM)</div>
Originally posted by KenKenobi2@Apr 13 2006, 06:23 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Treadwell
@Apr 13 2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks
KK2
[snapback]1225797[/snapback]​

Yes. I gave her a stroke. Her words "not cost effective" What to be correct or even close so I don't need to do any extra work ?

Ah well....next tailor .

KK2
[snapback]1226093[/snapback]​
[/b]

Try http://www.starfleettailor.com

The badges you can get from roddenbery.com. Also try Katarra8's ebay store.

I would stay away from Costumes by Judy - poor communication, not very accurate uniforms.
Katarra used to have a fair rep some years back - there's been lead time and communication issues there as well.

Ken - Sent you a PM.

star-trek_wok_jacket_1.jpg

Here's a WOK Jacket I did just for fun back in the 80's when I was a costume design student at college. Note that this was made for me, not to fit the mannequin. Not hard to make if you understand the structure of a man's suit and what goes into shaping it properly.

~ GM

The WoK/movie-style uniforms were ALWAYS my favorite. They're just... snappy. They've always looked great and are much more aesthetically pleasing than those cheesy polyester tights they wore in TOS and some of TNG.

Originally posted by GeneralMayhem@Apr 16 2006, 10:10 AM
My mistake.  That's really of picture of my Zapp Brannigan costume.
[snapback]1227339[/snapback]​

:lol

Kif, I have "made it" with a woman. Inform the men.

- k

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 18 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1228603[/snapback]</div>
Originally posted by GeneralMayhem@Apr 16 2006, 10:10 AM
My mistake.  That's really of picture of my Zapp Brannigan costume.
<div align="right">[snapback]1227339[/snapback]

:lol

Kif, I have "made it" with a woman. Inform the men.

- k
[/b][/quote]

LMAO .

KK2

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back