Best Trek Uniforms Source Wrath of Khan Style

Its not Gabardine - in fact the real stuff is known its just the cost of getting it dyed is the other issue. The stuff they got from the show was white and they had died to the monster maroon color from a place that still exists. Magnoli, contact me if you want to talk about this. Any specific questions you have, I will try my best. As I said, you do some great work.

Well, you do have one so you would know.

It's not wool? I distinctly remember it being described as such.

with the complexity of the monster maroon, perhaps the economies of doing a survival jacket might be and easier hurdle for the group!

The TWOK uniform jacket is a walk in the park compared to the Field Jacket. Uniform jacket stems from classic menswear in cut and material - something Magnoli is specialized in. The "two-ply" flap and sleeve trapunto are the technically challenging parts. We could even start this off with the Roddenberry patterns - I and many more here have them, I'm sure. There are some details in the patterns that need accurizing, but once that is done, they would serve as an ideal starting point.

As for the wool debate, I seem to remember that it's supposed to be that. Not gabardene, but 100% wool, a quite fancy fabric IIRC. And yes, they used white and dyed it. Cost-prohibitive, if you ask me. [beaten by Got Maul!]

As for the Field Jacket... it's a different beast. Complex pattern - yes. Lot of metal and plastic detailing that is hard to find... peter1701, what happened with the Field Jacket project over on ASAP? I believe someone actually sourced some of the metal clasps and whatnot over there.

There's the orange zipper with te weird ball-shaped pull, the huge off-white collar, phaser pocket, specimen sample pockets with plastic lining/inlays... oh, and there's the Miarecki box/emergency beacon/cigarette case thing as well... lot of junk in that jacket!
I'd basically kill for one, but a truly SA one would cost stupid amounts of cash.

Here it is though - I got this pic from a guy who, for years ago, was fortunate enough to try on the Kirk jacket (you can find a report on the IDIC pages):

field_jacket.JPG

It's a beauty.

I'd rather start with the basic uniform. It's doable with a relatively small effort compared to the above behemoth of a jacket.

Sourcing SA insignia might be a bit tricky. Here's what an accurate Starfleet badge should look like - the originals were two-parters while the available replicas are cast in one piece.
twok_insignia.JPG

A person who is banned here arranged a run from the original maker of the screen-used insignia a few years back, but like many other projects this guy started, it went south... payments were sent, but as I recall it, not everyone got their stuff...

Last edited:
The Bomber Jacket would be much easer and fun to wear.
Jacket3.bmp
Also as for the correct insignia Rodd.com now offers the accual Officers Insignia pin from the manufactuer! :)

Ash

Johnny Fedora

The Off-Duty "bomber" jacket is not as easy as it looks (don't get me wrong, I'd be all over one of these as well:lol)... there were some discussions about a correct buckle system for the "waist strap" a few years back, and I don't know if that eveer got resolved... you who are more updated on Classic Trek, please enlighten me!:)

Still it would be a nifty jacket to own.

Ash - thanks for the heads-up on the insignia - that's great news! Haven't been over to Rodd.com for ages...

I wonder... there's been a sudden raised interest in Classic movie Trek lately, what with ST:III and V comm threads, the Assault phaser sales... what caused this? Not that I'm complaining - TOS is the only Trek I can stand nowadays, and I've always been very fond of the TOS movies in particular. But still... why now?:) :confused

The name of the material is called whipcord if I recall. Gabardine looks very much like it however. You just have to find the right gabardine as it comes in alot of varieties on texture.

The name of the material is called whipcord if I recall. Gabardine looks very much like it however. You just have to find the right gabardine as it comes in alot of varieties on texture.

Thank you ! That was the name that was escaping me from my research days. The original dye artist also exists, the only problem is...she's forgotten the original mix for the red that was used.

I have seen whipcord, otherwise known as military jacket wool, but it came at a heft price at $38 a yard or something. Considering the dying process and actually putting the thing together, that was another story.

Gabardine could definitely work a bit more plentiful out there, but look for the FINEST gabardine rows available. These rows are about 1/16 inch thick.

Whipcord is a good substitute for the original material - wool elastique. Read all about it here. Very good reading for anyone planning to make a TWOK uniform.

Last edited:
Sourcing SA insignia might be a bit tricky. Here's what an accurate Starfleet badge should look like - the originals were two-parters while the available replicas are cast in one piece.
twok_insignia.JPG

A person who is banned here arranged a run from the original maker of the screen-used insignia a few years back, but like many other projects this guy started, it went south... payments were sent, but as I recall it, not everyone got their stuff...

This is the same one that Rodenberry.com now offers on their site for even cheaper than that person you are referring to was selling it. Its outstanding in quality and really dead on. They also offer the dead on buckle if you don't want to pay $800 on the IAW auctions !

Thanks, GM! Yeah, I resurrected my old Rodd.com account and took a peek around the store... VERY nice insignia pieces. And yes, the price is more decent through Rodd...

The hardest part to find for the jacket used to be the security disc - the round thingy located on the back end of the shoulder strap. Any new leads on that? IIRC, it's supposed to be a WWII German tank wheel... something the kitbashers on the RPF might be able to track down?

I have a couple of accurate ones somewhere (there were several different ones if I remember my Bob Fletcher right)... I'll try to dig them up and post a pic.

Last edited:
From what I've been reading on the ST boards (I don't know why I've developed the sudden interest either!:lol ) but Rodd.com will be carrying the actual fabric for the costumes by the end of the year. From what I understand, that includes TWOK jackets.

Wes

After reading some of the replies I did a quick scour to see what was available in terms of greeblies, and for the most part - they are available - Rodd.com's easily being the best. There are many other dedicated forums to this uniform though and you won't have to look too far to find the 'security wheel' with some digging - Katarra8 have one listed in their eBay shop also.
A few pics as requested (the last few are not mine!)

Kirk_Auto.jpg

Mon_Maroon2.jpg

Mon_Maroon1.jpg

Its my belief that Magnoli could nail this with considerable ease. There are some touches (the rear belt mount, the shoulder strap, and tapered back stripes) that may prove tricky but he's the man for the job. If the fabric does become available there is a real opportunity here....

That fabric is available. Its what price you want to pay for it. I found this stuff at $38 a yard...the dye process was minimally $200.

It would have to be a group project to get it going the way I see it.

I agree completely with GotMaul on this -
Very rarely do I see a Monster marroon with the correct 'weight' in the fabric - it is almost invariably light and thin.

THANK YOU! That is my biggest beef with almost every replica I've seen. I've gone round and round with folks who swear upon Gaberdine.

oh, and there's the Miarecki box/emergency beacon/cigarette case thing as well... lot of junk in that jacket!

I saw footage or something of a screenused jacket that showed that it was a metal Band-Aid box. I suspect it was not a hero jacket, though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back