Best Trek Uniforms Source Wrath of Khan Style

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by KenKenobi2, Apr 12, 2006.

1. KenKenobi2

KenKenobi2 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As the subject line says, any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Ken

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There used to be something called Starfleettailor.com - they did offer an excellent TWOK uniform - priced accordingly - but they disappeared off the radar some years ago...

Get the patterns from Roddenberry.com, modify the necessary bits and either dust off the sewing machine or visit a tailor. The "Monster Maroon" uniform is a complicated garment - very hard to find a decent off-the-peg version...

[EDIT - typo]

3. xaoslord

xaoslord Well-Known Member

There's a seller on ebay, starthreadsgale, that currently has one up for auction. I've been considering ordering one myself, but never have. The pics look good.

4. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Gale's uniform is decent, but you need to make modifications to it in order to be almost screen accurate. The one that I bought had the front panel fastened to the jacket with velcro, and gold buttons in place of the security wheel and strap wheel lock mechanism. I replaced them respectively with chain and snaps, the proper security wheel and the wheel lock. Add the proper pins and you're set to go. It does come with a nylon belt and a plastic buckle, as well as a thick white long sleeve shirt with the quilted collar.

Here's a pic of mine after modifications:

[​IMG]

5. KenKenobi2

If I was to go with that uniform, could some kind souls get me through the whole where to find the chain, snaps, wheel, twist lock and badging part of the party.

And how good is her trapunto collar on the shirt ? Is it actually trapunto or quilting ?

I am not in any kind of hurry here. This is a long time pet idea of mine so if I can dig up some good sources, that's great.

Thanks .

KK2

6. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here are some grabs for comparison... note the thickness of the black trim, how wide the white sleeve strap (with pips and squeeks) is, and other proportions, as well as details of the interior (hidden) sides of the jacket flaps.

Reasonably accurate buckle, badges and pins (well better that those I see on Gale's version anyway) can be got from Roddenberry.com.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- k

7. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

See how stiff the material is in those caps? Very few folds, and the ones that are there are big. Then look at that ebay pic. The material's too light. Like in every repro jacket I've ever seen. Some people swear by wool gaberdine but I think that's too light, too.

100% wool or nothin', I say. Screw comfort. ;)

(This goes for Imperial Officer uniforms, too.)

8. KenKenobi2

A lot of it also has to do with the facings and whether there is canvas in the front and shoulders like in a good suit.

So, I e-mailed the eBay lady with all sorts of specific requests and questions. Let's see if I give her a stroke .

Thanks
    KK2

9. KenKenobi2

Yes. I gave her a stroke. Her words "not cost effective" What to be correct or even close so I don't need to do any extra work ?

Ah well....next tailor .

KK2

10. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Try http://www.starfleettailor.com

The badges you can get from roddenbery.com. Also try Katarra8's ebay store.

11. Gatekeeper

I would stay away from Costumes by Judy - poor communication, not very accurate uniforms.
    Katarra used to have a fair rep some years back - there's been lead time and communication issues there as well.

Ken - Sent you a PM.

12. peter1701

peter1701 Well-Known Member

Starfleet tailor doesnt even have a twok up there. I actually have the uniform from Katarra/Kathy, Ill try to grab some pics.

13. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

[​IMG]

Here's a WOK Jacket I did just for fun back in the 80's when I was a costume design student at college. Note that this was made for me, not to fit the mannequin. Not hard to make if you understand the structure of a man's suit and what goes into shaping it properly.

~ GM

14. phase pistol

Good lord man. Put some pants on. :$

15. Tambo Fett

Tambo Fett Well-Known Member

Psssss.. Your balls are showing.

16. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

17. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

My mistake. That's really of picture of my Zapp Brannigan costume.

[​IMG]

hehehe

~ GM

18. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

The WoK/movie-style uniforms were ALWAYS my favorite. They're just... snappy. They've always looked great and are much more aesthetically pleasing than those cheesy polyester tights they wore in TOS and some of TNG.

19. phase pistol

:lol

Kif, I have "made it" with a woman. Inform the men.

- k

20. KenKenobi2

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 18 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1228603[/snapback]</div>
    :lol

Kif, I have "made it" with a woman. Inform the men.

- k
    [/b][/quote]

LMAO .

KK2

21. KenKenobi2

Okay, I am kicking this oldie up again to see what's what and if any folks have TWOK ideas.

KK2

22. KenKenobi2

Went back to hunt around on this topic again on other sites and STILL cannot find a reputable tailor who will do these.

Anyone?

KK2

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  23. Gatekeeper

Hey there, JerseyJones! I had forgot about this thread... watched TWOK the other night and it brought back memories...

Here's a thought - why not check with Indy Magnoli? I'm quite sure his "top men" could pull it off... I'd too be interested in a quality Monster Maroon!

24. KenKenobi2

Now that's a great Idea. :thumbsup BTW what's your COW handle?

KK2/JJ

25. vaderman1701

vaderman1701 Well-Known Member

Have you tried these guys? Their uniforms were used in the Fan made Star Trek film- Of God's and Men that had several former Trek actors wearing the old uniforms. If they used them, I would say they must be reputable.

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/

Scott

26. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

Holy COW! That's a great idea!!! Ken, Johnny Fedora here, let me know what he says reguarding the monster maroons. I wonder If he'd concider a ST3&5 bomber jacket (my dream jacket).

Johnny

Ash

27. jts1031

jts1031 Well-Known Member

Umm, actually, no. They are a banned member. Too many bad situations. Do a search and you'll find the horror stories...

28. peter1701

I think you could drum up lots of interest!

29. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

30. Gatekeeper

Scandinavia Jones...:)

@peter1701 - Fancy seeing you in a thread re: the TWOK uniform, ...;) it's been a while since I frequented ASAP and Propfixs. The quest continues! (Cpt. Harriman in the Trek world...)

Now... the Scotty bomber would be nice - the Field Jacket would be even nicer! The Holy Grail of all Trek costumes...

Hope this leads to something.

31. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

SHADOWDALE???

Run, don't walk!

32. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You rang? Drop me a line and we can discuss the details. almost Everything is possible! ;)

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  33. peter1701

Here is a thought....the TWOk survival coat is certainly the holy grail, and from what I see difficult to pull off.

The upside, if you do a group order type of thing, is that you could definately save since with jackets you might not have to custom fit everything and really just so s-m-l-xl or something like that so your speed/economies of scale/cost might be improved vs trying to do custom fitted TWOK maroon jackets.

That being said, I DO have a TWOK survival coat that I got a number of years ago and we could always talk about it becoming a template for a group order thing.

Peter1701

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  34. Got Maul

Got Maul Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The TWOK survival coat you do have is not very accurate from the source I think its from. I've seen the real thing and compared it to Shaunn's work..while the closest thing out there, still not very accurate in total look in my honest opinion. It would be better to seriously start from scratch. I think I may have someone moving close to me in the next month who has a Screen Used one...I have to ask him. Don't use a fan made base..nothing is even remotely close out there...

Secondly, after owning a Screen used TWOK style jacket, no one is even remotely close to the complexity of this jacket nor its thickness. Shaunn had the best one, but still not close enough to the real thing.

Magnoli, if you want shots of the SU one, I can provide those. You've been good to us and deserve to be treated just the same.

35. Martin-El

Martin-El Well-Known Member

I agree completely with GotMaul on this -
    Very rarely do I see a Monster marroon with the correct 'weight' in the fabric - it is almost invariably light and thin.
    The construction of the jacket is not too removed from a tailored suit jacket insofar as the structure is a tapered body with padded shoulders.
    I'm also excited by the potential of IndyMagnoli's involvement as his tailoring background lends itself very well to this kind of project - having bought stuff from him before I can vouch or the quality.
    Magnoli - there is a real customer base for this done correctly - take loan of an original before you consider anything. I can't imagine it will be the cheapest item but the 'greeblies' to finish them are far more abundant than a quality base. If you did the basic three piece (jacket/pants/undershirt) i'm fairly confident you will be swamped with orders....
    ...Do consider it...!

36. Got Maul

You nailed it GELforever. Its the sheer thickness that got me when I first received my piece. Put it to you this way..it was so thick that the command badges that came from roddenberry.com...their pin legs were too short. I had to grind the pin legs off and use a series of magnets to get my badge on !

It really is a suit and my baby.

37. peter1701

GM is right, and if there was a better source for a survival coat based on originals that would be spot on. What I have is from SL as GM mentions and probably the best out there but off in some elements.

But like I said, with the complexity of the monster maroon, perhaps the economies of doing a survival jacket might be and easier hurdle for the group!

38. Indy Magnoli

Alright, let's start with this:

-A few high quality images of the original items being discussed (they can either be posted or e-mailed)
    -Fabric type and weight (ie 14oz wool)

This will let me do some basic calculations of cost.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli

39. Kt Templar

Kt Templar Well-Known Member

I believe it's good old fashioned wool gabardine from an article I read years ago.

It reminds me of my old school blazer, it was even burgundy :).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  40. Got Maul

Its not Gabardine - in fact the real stuff is known its just the cost of getting it dyed is the other issue. The stuff they got from the show was white and they had died to the monster maroon color from a place that still exists. Magnoli, contact me if you want to talk about this. Any specific questions you have, I will try my best. As I said, you do some great work.

41. peter1701

So....are we debating the Uniform jacket or the survival jacket?

42. Kt Templar

Kt Templar Well-Known Member

Well, you do have one so you would know.

It's not wool? I distinctly remember it being described as such.

43. Got Maul

Its wool, its not Gabardine though.Garbidine is the style not the material.

44. Gatekeeper

The TWOK uniform jacket is a walk in the park compared to the Field Jacket. Uniform jacket stems from classic menswear in cut and material - something Magnoli is specialized in. The "two-ply" flap and sleeve trapunto are the technically challenging parts. We could even start this off with the Roddenberry patterns - I and many more here have them, I'm sure. There are some details in the patterns that need accurizing, but once that is done, they would serve as an ideal starting point.

As for the wool debate, I seem to remember that it's supposed to be that. Not gabardene, but 100% wool, a quite fancy fabric IIRC. And yes, they used white and dyed it. Cost-prohibitive, if you ask me. [beaten by Got Maul!]

As for the Field Jacket... it's a different beast. Complex pattern - yes. Lot of metal and plastic detailing that is hard to find... peter1701, what happened with the Field Jacket project over on ASAP? I believe someone actually sourced some of the metal clasps and whatnot over there.

There's the orange zipper with te weird ball-shaped pull, the huge off-white collar, phaser pocket, specimen sample pockets with plastic lining/inlays... oh, and there's the Miarecki box/emergency beacon/cigarette case thing as well... lot of junk in that jacket!
    I'd basically kill for one, but a truly SA one would cost stupid amounts of cash.

Here it is though - I got this pic from a guy who, for years ago, was fortunate enough to try on the Kirk jacket (you can find a report on the IDIC pages):

[​IMG]

It's a beauty.

I'd rather start with the basic uniform. It's doable with a relatively small effort compared to the above behemoth of a jacket.

Sourcing SA insignia might be a bit tricky. Here's what an accurate Starfleet badge should look like - the originals were two-parters while the available replicas are cast in one piece.
    [​IMG]
    A person who is banned here arranged a run from the original maker of the screen-used insignia a few years back, but like many other projects this guy started, it went south... payments were sent, but as I recall it, not everyone got their stuff...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  45. Indy Magnoli

:eek:wacko Yes... let's start with the standard uniform jacket! :lol

Kind regards,
    Indy

46. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

The Bomber Jacket would be much easer and fun to wear.[​IMG] Also as for the correct insignia Rodd.com now offers the accual Officers Insignia pin from the manufactuer! :)

Ash

Johnny Fedora

47. Gatekeeper

The Off-Duty "bomber" jacket is not as easy as it looks (don't get me wrong, I'd be all over one of these as well:lol)... there were some discussions about a correct buckle system for the "waist strap" a few years back, and I don't know if that eveer got resolved... you who are more updated on Classic Trek, please enlighten me!:)

Still it would be a nifty jacket to own.

Ash - thanks for the heads-up on the insignia - that's great news! Haven't been over to Rodd.com for ages...

I wonder... there's been a sudden raised interest in Classic movie Trek lately, what with ST:III and V comm threads, the Assault phaser sales... what caused this? Not that I'm complaining - TOS is the only Trek I can stand nowadays, and I've always been very fond of the TOS movies in particular. But still... why now?:) :confused

48. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

The name of the material is called whipcord if I recall. Gabardine looks very much like it however. You just have to find the right gabardine as it comes in alot of varieties on texture.

49. Lancer

Lancer Sr Member

50. Got Maul

Thank you ! That was the name that was escaping me from my research days. The original dye artist also exists, the only problem is...she's forgotten the original mix for the red that was used.

I have seen whipcord, otherwise known as military jacket wool, but it came at a heft price at $38 a yard or something. Considering the dying process and actually putting the thing together, that was another story.

Gabardine could definitely work a bit more plentiful out there, but look for the FINEST gabardine rows available. These rows are about 1/16 inch thick.