Best Trek Uniforms Source Wrath of Khan Style

Magnoli currently offers a great replica of the spacesuit from Planet of The Apes for $650. For an accurate monster maroon (plus pants and undershirt) I think that's comparable and would be in for a group order....

I saw footage or something of a screenused jacket that showed that it was a metal Band-Aid box. I suspect it was not a hero jacket, though.
Thanks for jogging my memory, Treadwell. The base for the beacon is indeed a metal Band-Aid box. It is embellished with a Starfleet insignia and has oblong greeblies (Starfleet 5-year pips? or are they squeaks?:lol) on the ends. It's been told that the cast stashed their ciggies there for easy access during breaks...

I used to own one...:(

Okay then, I could see myself in on one of these from Magnoli as well.

Now, I have to go on a BIG A$$ diet:rolleyes...well actually that be small A$$ diet, right ? :confused

This would go great with my WOK phaser coming from Art Asylum. SA, sort of. Cheap and fun...LOTS of !

KK2

Okay then, I could see myself in on one of these from Magnoli as well.

Now, I have to go on a BIG A$$ diet:rolleyes...well actually that be small A$$ diet, right ? :confused

:lol
You and me both, Ken... or we could always ask Magnoli to make the ultimate Trek uniform accessory - the Shatner girdle!
Though I recommend dropping the carbs and taking up some form of exercise. Done that myself, and my outline is beginning to shape up again.:)

It's great to see this old thread resurrected after so long, especially with Indy's name thrown in. :) (which I find rather ironic, since I mentioned this uniform to him in an email to him a couple of months back)

Here's a website I stumbled across awhile back that has quite a bit of useful information on creating the Khan-style uniform. He seems to approach things in an authentic fashion - at least to my un-trained eyes:

http://www.startrekuniformguide.com/MOVIESII2.html

You can definitely count me as interested if Magnoli pulls this off. :cool

EDIT: I apologize - Gatekeeper mentioned the above link in an earlier post.

Last edited:
:lol
You and me both, Ken... or we could always ask Magnoli to make the ultimate Trek uniform accessory - the Shatner girdle!
Though I recommend dropping the carbs and taking up some form of exercise. Done that myself, and my outline is beginning to shape up again.:)

OT warning- I will be doing just that. I have been so nuts with changing jobs, , trying to ship out my own products, starting my son in school and refinancing my house, that exercise and eating have been a mess. I welcome any tips and coaching to be Monster Maroon ready.

Hey Gate, maybe we can make our MM's the reward for the fitness quest? :D

KK2

Alright... this is what I'd like to do. One of you who is seriously interested in doing this and is somewhere between a size 37-40 suit (so it's easier to photograph nicely on my mannequin), drop me a line. We'll discuss all details via this thread as well as via e-mail (prices and such). Once that is sorted out, we'll make the prototype to your measurements and will see how everything comes out. Once that one is finished, we'll post the finished product, etc and then I can start taking regular orders. So... who's the guinea pig?

Kind regards,
Indy

I was thinking that sending in a business suit to work off of (plus a real uniform, obviously) would be the right way to start. I'm a 42 chest though so i'm too Shatneresque to model. When somebody slimmer jumps in I thought it might be nice to make a comprehensive list of all the greeblies needed too along with the best suppliers. Only the belt has me concerned so far - and does anybody have pictures of the screen-used ankle boots...?
Lets get this going!!

does anybody have pictures of the screen-used ankle boots...?
Among others, Florsheim Normandy boots were used. There's a pic of Chekov's boots in the ST:II section over on phaser001's forum.

One thing - any screengrab references should be limited to ST:II and III. The uniform "degenerated" a bit in the later movies and ST tv episodes. Shatner's and Doohan's girth caused wardrobe to lengthen the jacket (a slimming illusion). Also, the fabric used seemed to be sloppier in the later movies and TNG/DS9/VOY.

IMO, the Monster Maroon looks it's best in TWOK and TSFS. A strict, heavy military-style jacket in the proper length and nice "sailor" flare on the pant legs.

Looking forward to this project!

I love this uniform so much , I actually want in on this project...but then have to come back and say...why ?

Anyhow, if there's anything I can do, please say so.

Alright... this is what I'd like to do. One of you who is seriously interested in doing this and is somewhere between a size 37-40 suit (so it's easier to photograph nicely on my mannequin), drop me a line. We'll discuss all details via this thread as well as via e-mail (prices and such). Once that is sorted out, we'll make the prototype to your measurements and will see how everything comes out. Once that one is finished, we'll post the finished product, etc and then I can start taking regular orders. So... who's the guinea pig?

Kind regards,
Indy

If you need some pics, say the word amigo.

Among others, Florsheim Normandy boots were used. There's a pic of Chekov's boots in the ST:II section over on phaser001's forum.

One thing - any screengrab references should be limited to ST:II and III. The uniform "degenerated" a bit in the later movies and ST tv episodes. Shatner's and Doohan's girth caused wardrobe to lengthen the jacket (a slimming illusion). Also, the fabric used seemed to be sloppier in the later movies and TNG/DS9/VOY.

IMO, the Monster Maroon looks it's best in TWOK and TSFS. A strict, heavy military-style jacket in the proper length and nice "sailor" flare on the pant legs.

Looking forward to this project!

Thanks for the find on the shoes. I've been looking for these.

The ST II monster maroon is the holy grail of uniforms in SU collectors. It is generally agreed this is when they looked their best but they are far and few between. When IAW does those auctions, they are either key characters or go for 4K now. If that's the case, I guess I should be happy with my STVII :)

MonsterMUniforms.jpg

Ok, so everyone likes the Class A's. What about the Captain's Bomber Jacket or the skirt (for the ladies out there)?
MMBomber.jpg

I also love that the bomber can be worn casually:)...
MMBomberJacket2.jpg

Please just conceder it...

Anyway, I'm really jazzed that we might finally get monster maroons from not only a reputable tailor but one of Indy's caliber no less. A word of caution though...I think we should keep this on the down low for now. Limit this to just The RpF, just until particulars are nailed down. 1st, the orders would be insane if say, the 1701st and the ASAP Star Trek costuming boards started screaming news of this from one side of Trekdom to the other. 2nd, after that, it would be hard to keep this out of the hands of CBS/Paramount's legal department once word got out. With the new franchise starting up, I would expect the same sort of legal crackdown on costumes and props that came around when Indiana Jones popped back on movie screens. Paramount has even had staffers harassing people wearing costumes and uniforms (demanding to know where they got them) at conventions in the past. I'm not saying the project is doomed, just that we should proceed with caution. That said Indy, I wouldn't go posting ST:WoK uniforms on the Magnoli Clothiers site.:lol

Ash

Johnny Fedora

Last edited by a moderator:
If she forgot the dye recipe it was VERY recent as she custom dyed some wool for us last year and she has done this on a few occasions for us. Its cost prohibitive but I doubt she hasforgotten the recipe.
I offered a while back to do a run of custom dyed material but everyone balked at the price so we just had her do some for us. My guess is she hasnt forgotten she just doesnt want to be bothered again with this. They keep getting approached for 'runs' and then folks keep backing out.

Thank you ! That was the name that was escaping me from my research days. The original dye artist also exists, the only problem is...she's forgotten the original mix for the red that was used.

I have seen whipcord, otherwise known as military jacket wool, but it came at a heft price at $38 a yard or something. Considering the dying process and actually putting the thing together, that was another story.

Gabardine could definitely work a bit more plentiful out there, but look for the FINEST gabardine rows available. These rows are about 1/16 inch thick.

Last edited:
Wool elastique was used for the 'hero' uniforms (Principles)
whipchord, which is also BAND uniform material was used for the 'B' uniforms.
The weave in whipcord is more similar to gabardine (hence the confusion but is more pronounced. Its fairly heavyweight and durable and hangs well which is is why its used for uniforms. Whipcord can be a worsted or a synth blend.
A lot of the confusion with TWOK materials has been based on
A. which movie the uniform was from (they changed slightly movie to movie)
B. People studying different uniforms. If they got their hands on a HERO uniform they would say ELASTIQUE but if they got a hold of a 'B' they could think gaberdine from the weave (because its similart to whipcord)
Elastique is a higer quality material and the similarity would be as in the military of getting your ISSUED dress uniform or going to clothing and sales and paying for a nicer qulaity dress uniform.
Also an FYI on the 'white' trims...they arent white per say but more of an off white/vanilla (it has some yellow in it that in person makes it look aged but its not that is teh actual color) that reads as white on screen so you have to decide whether you want accurate as to the real garment or as to how it LOOKS on screen.

From what I was told in some shop in Santa Monica, whipcord = wool elastique = military wool

Last edited:
You know, the bomber jacket would certainly be unique compared to what is often out there. I dont know that I can say I have seen it done well.

If she forgot the dye recipe it was VERY recent as she custom dyed some wool for us last year and she has done this on a few occasions for us. Its cost prohibitive but I doubt she hasforgotten the recipe.
I offered a while back to do a run of custom dyed material but everyone balked at the price so we just had her do some for us. My guess is she hasnt forgotten she just doesnt want to be bothered again with this. They keep getting approached for 'runs' and then folks keep backing out.

From what she told me was that she forgot the original recipe and what people have had to do in the past is give her a swatch of the original fabric for her to match it or at least good photos of one.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back