Best Sources for Modeling Supplies

LrdSatyr8

Sr Member
Ok all... I don't know if this has been dome before but I know we all have our little secret spots for getting the best tools and supplies for our model building needs. So tell me... where is the best, cheapest, easiest places to obtain various items like styrene sheet and evergreen strips, glues, tools, paints, air brushes, kits, resin, fiber board, mat board, even extra detailing sets, scale figurines (in various scales). Anything that has to do with making a model or scratch building something. Share the info!

You can get your supplies from all over. There really isn't anyone place that's one stop shopping. Megahobby, hobbylinc, tower hobbies, redfrog hobbies. There's a ton of online shops out there. Those are the ones I tend to use the most with mega hobby and hobbylinc the two I use the most often. Each has something to offer and some have shipping discounts if you order over a certain dollar amount.mega hobby offers a discount if you order $100 or more. The discount code is mega. Michigan toy solder carries items a little more unique aside from the usual supplies. Culttvman is great for kits and after market photo etch, parts, and lighting kits. Hobby link Japan is great for Japanese kits and supplies. Tcp Global, Chicago airbrush, Bear air for airbrushes, compressors and supplies. I've used TCP Global and Chicago airbrush.

Precut or preformed sheets such as strips and such, yes, Evergreen or Plastruct is a good choice, however, I have found some local plastic manufacturers that stock different thicknesses of styrene sheet (in 4'x8' sizes) that are much, much cheaper than the prepackaged (and small) stuff that Evergreen offers. They call the stuff, HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene). I bought a couple sheets of various thicknesses (cut them in half, so I could fit them in my car) and now I am set for plastic for several years.

TazMan2000

For what its worth, Lowes and Walmart sell "For Sale" and "For Rent" type signs made from various ranges in thickness of styrene. The are cheap cheap and work wonderfully.;)

For what its worth, Lowes and Walmart sell "For Sale" and "For Rent" type signs made from various ranges in thickness of styrene. The are cheap cheap and work wonderfully.;)

Last time I was at Walmart the only signs they had were those reallly thin ones that don't work too well for building. I know I bought a few and ended up throwing them away.

Last time I was at Walmart the only signs they had were those reallly thin ones that don't work too well for building. I know I bought a few and ended up throwing them away.
That has been my experience lately, although they do still carry some that are useful (usually the larger signs). You can get better, larger signs that are a little thicker at Home Depot, though.

Speaking of which, I do a lot of looking for tools and parts (i.e., things that fit a certain shape) at Home Depot and Lowes. I hate asking employees about things they might have based on shape, because they always want to know what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't like getting into a detailed explanation with someone who is just going to think I'm off my rocker when I'm done talking!

Qapla'

SSB

That has been my experience lately, although they do still carry some that are useful (usually the larger signs). You can get better, larger signs that are a little thicker at Home Depot, though.

Speaking of which, I do a lot of looking for tools and parts (i.e., things that fit a certain shape) at Home Depot and Lowes. I hate asking employees about things they might have based on shape, because they always want to know what I'm trying to accomplish. I don't like getting into a detailed explanation with someone who is just going to think I'm off my rocker when I'm done talking!

Qapla'

SSB

Been there... done that... I remember walking into an ACE Hardware looking for drain pipes in various sizes, only to have to sit there and explain to the guy behind the counter I was trying to build a light saber hilt. The look on his face was priceless.

- - - Updated - - -

Qapla'

SSB

Been there... done that... I remember walking into an ACE Hardware looking for drain pipes in various sizes, only to have to sit there and explain to the guy behind the counter I was trying to build a light saber hilt. The look on his face was priceless.

I need to get back to the bench and nothing better than cutting some evergreen sheets but the price I feel is crazy and I never tried the sign's from walmart or Lowes.. But I did order a roll or plastic from here and still have not used much of it. I think I would go .040 rather then the .030 that I ordered last time and plan to cut it up and flatten it right away. For around $20.00 dollars maybe you guys would like something like this.. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715.

I need to get back to the bench and nothing better than cutting some evergreen sheets but the price I feel is crazy and I never tried the sign's from walmart or Lowes.. But I did order a roll or plastic from here and still have not used much of it. I think I would go .040 rather then the .030 that I ordered last time and plan to cut it up and flatten it right away. For around $20.00 dollars maybe you guys would like something like this.. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715.

Makes me wonder what the ideal thickness for scratch building would be because that is a great deal for 40"x70" sheets and you get 5 of them for that price.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... does anyone have any good sources for scale figures? Military, sci-fi, fantasy, etc? I've been trying to find 1/43 to 1/48 scale for my Falcon. Train O scale looks about right.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back