Best Prop Filler Material

SAMURAI1

Looking for ideas on the best material to fill a prop with to give it added weight? I'm used to dealing with solid resin or 3D printed props but I have come across one that is hollow and would like to fill it. It's a fairly narrow space. I need something that can fill it in and won't rattle around after I seal it. I thought about using some Great Stuff and filling in with some bolts but I'm looking for a better alternative. Any ideas are welcome!

I like too use lead or steel shot. I pour all the little balls inside, and then pour in some resin to lock it all in place.
Watch out for holes that can leak though.

Milliput everytime.
41QipKjHe3L._SX425_.jpg

I purged my containers of miscellaneous nuts and bolts and locked it all in with some resin when I weighted my Rubies Mando pistol. Worked great and was less expensive than the BB or lead route for me.

Depending on the size of the prop, wouldn't something like that be kind of expensive? Lead weights, sand, or plaster would be much cheaper.
The original post said "It's a fairly narrow space" which I thought given milliput's very moldable nature would be ideal.
I assumed lead weights wouldn't fit in the space.

The original post said "It's a fairly narrow space" which I thought given milliput's very moldable nature would be ideal.
I assumed lead weights wouldn't fit in the space.
That might be true, but why spend the money and waste so much Miliput when there are so many other far cheaper options?

As for using lead weights, you can buy pretty small sized weights and possibly loose birdshot, but that might not be the cheapest option. And if the weights or shot are too large, you can always flatten them with just about anything since lead is so soft.

You can easily melt lead down to pretty much any shape you want. Milliput I wouldn't have thought would have much weight in it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back