Best material / method to reproduce military items?

metrosonus

I figured you guys were the pros, so I have a few questions about materials and methods that would be appropriate for reproducing military items for airsoft use. The reason being, real steel helmets, gas masks and things aren't conducive to running around out in woods and steel containers in 93 degree Florida swamp weather. Most of what I want to reproduce is period or simply for cool factor.

My conditions are that it needs to be strong enough to withstand direct impacts from airsoft BBs, which are made out of plastic and easy to work with, more or less. I've talked to a few people and I've been told the normal vacuum form plastic is too weak for this kind of application? Someone suggested to me kydex, but has anyone ever formed a full helmet or something like those 3m dust masks with it? I've also considered fiberglass too.

I'm not looking at doing runs or anything. Just so that I can make something for myself and some of the kids I airsoft with a lighter, more safer option that may be more comfortable in the heat. A lot of them use the 3M masks and we've banned them for those under 18 since they get completely destroyed under direct fire. Me? I'd like a plastic M42 stalhelm. I tried on a friends and there's no way I'm running around in that for 7 hours in the middle of august here.

TIA..

What period are you looking at?

1/8"ABS should probably work.
It flexes unlike HIPS.

Instead of fiberglass I would suggest kevlar.

lol.... all of the equipment we carry and did carry was conducive to carrying around in any weather once you were trained and acclimated.
a kevlar helmet, a pro-mask, body armor, LBV.. they all look cool and to be honest aren’t that heavy .. especially if you know how to properly wear them ...
you can buy fake kevlars that will stop a BB, a pro-mask carrier is only fabric and you can use that to store stuff instead of a pro-mask.. the army vests can be worn without the plates and still stop what you are using .. it may benefit you to use real equipment but modified ...

American helmets, as I'm sure most people know, were made in two pieces, a lightweight "helmet liner" that had the "guts" and chinstrap, and the separate steel "pot". Numerous photos of American soldiers on parade or other dress functions can be seen to be wearing only the liner, painted and polished. So if you're doing older American impressions there's no problem.

I've seen plastic prop WWII and WWI style German helmets for sale here and there. They're moulded styrene or ABS plastic which would be plenty strong enough for airsoft.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back