Best Graflex Replica

Loneken

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

I've been out of the lightsaber replica business for a while, but I'm thinking of buying a Graflex flashgun replica soon and wondering who's making the most accurate replica these days. I've read that Roman Prop and The Graflex Shop have the best ones, but not sure which one to go for, or are there other ones out there that are even better?

Thanks

Loneken

Romans is an exact replica of the actual flash. The Graflex Shop is missing all the internals. So, it depends what your end goal is. If you're looking to do a static hilt. Romans is the only good one. TGS is more for people who are adding electronics.

like others have stated, roman's graflex is a actual working flash. how much more accurate can you get. :cool

Romans is in no way a 100% accurate replica. The bunny ears is way too long and the recharge port holes are off as evident by how a TGS blade holder which will aligned perfectly with a vintage will not align with a romans.

If I am not mistake the bunny ears are also held by screws instead of rivets.

Dimensionally at least, the upcoming TGS is supposed to be more accurate.

Romans is in no way a 100% accurate replica. The bunny ears is way too long and the recharge port holes are off as evident by how a TGS blade holder which will aligned perfectly with a vintage will not align with a romans.

If I am not mistake the bunny ears are also held by screws instead of rivets.

Dimensionally at least, the upcoming TGS is supposed to be more accurate.

Im not trying to start a flame war, but a lot of vintage graflex's especially the early ones have had the same "alignment" issue. Even the graflex shop saber is going to come with a hex head screw for the bunny ears, last i read. TGS will have hex-less screws to replace the hex headed one

the reasoning behind the hex head screw on the roman's and TGS was to easily remove the ears to install the blade holder. have you ever tried to remove a original rivet in the bunny ears? it can be a scary thing lol i know it was for me! i was shaking in my boots

i have also heard romans bunny ears are longer but never seen a side by side comparison. i would really love to see a pic of how much different they are. If its that big of a deal, i believe TGS sells his bunny ears for 30 bucks, you could always swap the romans ears for the graflex shop ears

again, i in no way mean this post to come off aggressive, but i recently learned other vintage flashes didnt line up perfecting in the charge holes

I think the bashing of people's hard work who bring us solid, quality collectibles that aren't available to the general public is deplorable.
An opinion is one thing...

As an aside, adding or changing details act as "tells" so that repros are not mistaken for vintage pieces. This is a benefit to our hobby and intentional in most cases.
It's gotten difficult already not to be taken by unscrupulous replica hawkers on auction sites passing repros off to unsuspecting new collectors as evidenced by the numerous threads asking for help authenticating a flash.

There are comparison threads available here with side by side pictures that will help in making a choice.

Other than that, it's very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
Im not trying to start a flame war, but a lot of vintage graflex's especially the early ones have had the same "alignment" issue. Even the graflex shop saber is going to come with a hex head screw for the bunny ears, last i read. TGS will have hex-less screws to replace the hex headed one

the reasoning behind the hex head screw on the roman's and TGS was to easily remove the ears to install the blade holder. have you ever tried to remove a original rivet in the bunny ears? it can be a scary thing lol i know it was for me! i was shaking in my boots

i have also heard romans bunny ears are longer but never seen a side by side comparison. i would really love to see a pic of how much different they are. If its that big of a deal, i believe TGS sells his bunny ears for 30 bucks, you could always swap the romans ears for the graflex shop ears

again, i in no way mean this post to come off aggressive, but i recently learned other vintage flashes didnt line up perfecting in the charge holes

Majority of the vintage graflex will line up with the TGS bladeholder. The Romans never will.

Where do we draw the line at accuracy? If we want 100% accurate that means it should have rivets at the ears. The headless solution by TGS is clever is the sense that you can remove it easily while still looking vintage.

The bunny ears are off by about 4mm. Quite noticeable when placed side by side.

Sure you can replaced them but the Roman is already expensive as it is and you shouldn't need to spend more money to make it accurate.

Just measured with digital calipers, from body to top of round part:

Romans: 25,81mm

Vintage 1: 24,75mm

Vintage 2: 24,20mm

Unknown, but also very good replica: 23,84mm

Dissassembled vintage ones (for other sabers, like DV ROTS) i´m not able to measure as the bunnys are loose in boxes.

I think bashing of people's hard work to bring us solid, quality collectibles that aren't available to the general public is deplorable.
An opinion is one thing...

As an aside, adding or changing details act as "tells" so that repros are not mistaken for vintage pieces. This is a benefit to our hobby and intentional in most cases.
It's gotten difficult already not to be taken by unscrupulous replica hawkers on auction sites passing repros off to unsuspecting new collectors as evidenced by the numerous threads asking for help authenticating a flash.

There are comparison threads available here with side by side pictures that will help in making a choice.

Other than that, it's very subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Just measured with digital calipers, from body to top of round part:

Romans: 25,81mm

Vintage 1: 24,75mm

Vintage 2: 24,20mm

Unknown, but also very good replica: 23,84mm

Dissassembled vintage ones (for other sabers, like DV ROTS) i´m not able to measure as the bunnys are loose in boxes.

glad to see my boys chime in :thumbsup

"Supposed" is nothing worth without the needed proof. Up to the moment of a definite proof it´s just blabla.

Blade holder - for toysabers a fine thing. But a working flash is a replica on a different level by itself.

The TGS already has a more accurate bunny ears and also the shape of the S curve than the romans.

It already got the Romans beat at that point.

I am not sure what is the point of a working flash gun at the end of the day if the dimensions are off.

Majority will buy this because they want a lightsaber prop. Not because they actually want a working flashgun.

And my point about the bladeholder is to show that the Romans is still not 100% due to misaligned holes.

You want a working flashgun fine but let's not call the Romans 100 accurate

d325ecf8683db720434b5fa86b8ec050.jpg

You are telling me the difference is just 1mm on average?

8cde25f0f1510ca2cb733fb96b7fca73.jpg

Here is another view. Granted the one of the right was grind down from a 2.0 to match a vintage but the difference is more than 1mm

Vintage graflexes were no where near as exact and right on in measurement as they are made out to be. Hole placement varies on all of them, even from one side of the flash to the next.

pics below are all real vintage flashes in my collection and in scottjua's.

Attachments

• IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    995.2 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 260
Here is the 1mm difference.

20170507_175715_zpstronqfim.jpg

And here is the S-shape:

20170507_175856_zpsemt8f6ba.jpg

There is a sligh difference in the S, but mostly it will be disturbed more by small changes in viewing angles than really in the shape itself.

Vintage graflexes were no where near as exact and right on in measurement as they are made out to be. Hole placement varies on all of them, even from one side of the flash to the next.

pics below are all real vintage flashes in my collection and in scottjua's.

I remember having made and posted such pics also (or was it just posting the measurements?) - with the result that the vintage spreaded dimensions between them as much as the vintage to the romans and my other replica.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back