best/easiest 3D Modelling software?!

Faraam

Hello everyone I am wondering what 3D software you guys use to make all these great models? Also to add to it if its user friendly?

Sketchup is pretty user friendly, but it does some weeeird things when you export is as an STL file (which you also have to get a plugin for). 123D Design is probably the best suggestion. I'm sure some joker is going to say Blender. Don't listen to them. ;)

-Rog

I use Maya and Zbrush. I'm a professional game artist so I have a lot of experience using those. I have very little, if any, experience using free modeling software options. I believe Maya does still have a student version so you might try that if you're interested.
Maya, 3DS Max, and Zbrush are probably the most common professional modeling softwares. Maya is used for polygonal modeling and Zbrush for sculpting. Zbrush actually has a 3D printing plugin that allows you to export .STL's which is cool, though I don't personally use it. Zbrush is definitely not user friendly; the UI is a nightmare and makes no sense. Maya is quite friendly but there's a lot to learn; you'll find a ton of tutorials for it online though.

I have been using AutoDesk Fusion 360. They offer a free license for students and hobbyists. It is very powerful. They also have a lot of great tutorials and videos online, which I have found to be very helpful.

Side note: It's funny that when these threads come up, a dozen people will all suggest different programs and they all turn out to be made by Autodesk. I'm pretty sure Autodesk makes one million programs, and of those million, ANY seem to be a good choice from what I've seen.

(FYI, 123D Design is an Autodesk product. So that puts the count at 2 so far for this thread. Stay tuned.)

-Rog

Side note: It's funny that when these threads come up, a dozen people will all suggest different programs and they all turn out to be made by Autodesk. I'm pretty sure Autodesk makes one million programs, and of those million, ANY seem to be a good choice from what I've seen.

(FYI, 123D Design is an Autodesk product. So that puts the count at 2 so far for this thread. Stay tuned.)

-Rog

Actually, most of the programs aren't actually made by Autodesk. The reason Autodesk has it's name on so many programs is because they have a habit of buying the rights to any new promising software that pops up. Basically, they eliminate any competition that might crop up by throwing money at it.

That makes sense. When I was working at Office Depot probably ten years ago they (Autodesk) had so many different boxes on the shelf and people would ask what the difference between this one and that one was. I would try to be helpful and say, "Well, this one does X" and they would look at the backs of the boxes and say "This one says it does X also." And then I would struggle to figure out why one cost $300 and the other was $60. Thanks a lot, Autodesk.

-Rog

I guess I'm the joker to say Blender,.. It's really the best all around suite for everything and without having to spend a pence. Maybe I'm just biased with years of experience though.

years of experience

That's the key phrase. I'm not saying Blender is bad, I would just never recommend it to someone looking for "user friendly" and "easy" above all else. That would be insane.

If you want to take the time to learn it though...

-Rog

Well I actually find it pretty straightforward, I got the gripe on its basics when I was a kid (with some video tutorials) and now I've tried web based solutions for usage on a Chromebook but found nothing as convenient as Blender.

I used blender for a couple of years in high school and its controls don't translate well into other programs so I would avoid using it.

If you are a student I would suggest you sign up on the autodesk website and download the student version of Maya or alternatively 3DSmax however I personally use Maya - There is a huge community for Maya and a lot of support on the official site and also on community run sites.

Zbrush or Mudbox are also very good pick ups and once you get the hang of using them I would suggest them over any other modeling program. However when using any sculpting program its also very useful having amodeling program too to import and export out models. Also worth noting I believe Mudbox is getting merged into maya in the next couple of years so this might be a good reason to avoid mudbox and get zbrush.

I hope you find a program that is right for you but Maya and Zbrush are my recommendation!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back